• Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

PA10 Part 1

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

13 minutes ago, Boot_Scraper said:

165 Sierra Gameking HPBT,  2.750 COAL, 43 gn Varget. Sierra load manual says 43 is max. Brass was on its 3rd reload. I had been FL sizing as well. The separation was very minute. Primers were flat but no flow. 

My Hornady 10 manual for 165s and 168s is showing Varget max load, 2600fps, 44.0gr.  2500fps is 41.7gr. So it takes 2.3gr of Varget to get that next 100fps.  That 100fps isn't worth it.  max load is usually not the most accurate load, anyway.  Load up 5 each starting 41.7gr, then 5 more 0.2gr higher (41.9gr), until you get to the load UNDER 43.0gr.  Shot them bottom to top, on separate targets, record the data on the target, put those 5 back in the cartridge holder or baggie, labeled, etc.

Go for the best accurate load that shows zero pressure signs, including flat primers.  Find out what it is, and load 'em up.  :thumbup:

2 minutes ago, Boot_Scraper said:

Here's the "separation":

20180424_204513.thumb.jpg.36fa8fcab097106c2c249676016ac39d.jpg

That thin line is a crack. 

Primers aren't awful. Makes me think the brass is overworked but, I'm far from a reloading expert and I take no offense from anyone who wants to "learn" me. 

Holy SHIIT!!!   Look at that pressure ring at the base of the brass!!! 

Ladies and Gentlemen, THIS is a great example of the "pressure ring" that SS is always talking about...

Boot, that's a pretty serious pressure sign, right there.  Oh, and screw Federal brass...  :laffs:

I learned that on my "making of 300BLK brass" a few years ago... FL all my AR stuff, no matter what.  PPU brass, not the PPU Match brass, I could load twice after I converted it to BLK.  3rd time I tried, I stuck two of them in the FL die.  First one I thought was a fluke, and I got it out.  Then just did it again with another one. All the PPU brass went in the trash, after the time it takes to convert them.  I only used Lake City 5.56 NATO brass for 300BLK manufacture now.

Brass for .308 Win...  PMC brass is excellent. Starline brass is very excellent. Hornady standard brass is very good, and Hornady Match brass is great!  Federal .308 Win brass sucks, unless we're talking about Federal GOld Medal Match brass, which is right up there with Hornady Match brass, IMHO.  PPU brass is also good, and you can come by that cheap.  Federal makes an ammo like called American Eagle, and they do an M1 Match load - that brass is good.  Looks like they changed the packaging now, and it's called 7.62x51 168gr OTM.  This stuff:

005_91.JPG

You can nail it cheap, and the brass is good. 

15 minutes ago, 98Z5V said:

Brass for .308 Win...  PMC brass is excellent. Starline brass is very excellent. Hornady standard brass is very good, and Hornady Match brass is great!  Federal .308 Win brass sucks, unless we're talking about Federal GOld Medal Match brass, which is right up there with Hornady Match brass, IMHO.  PPU brass is also good, and you can come by that cheap.  Federal makes an ammo like called American Eagle, and they do an M1 Match load - that brass is good.  Looks like they changed the packaging now, and it's called 7.62x51 168gr OTM.  This stuff:

005_91.JPG

You can nail it cheap, and the brass is good. 

Thank you sir! :thumbup:

There are others I'm forgetting.  CBC ammo.  It shoots like shiit, but the brass is good for 4 or 5 loadings, then throw it away.  S&B ammo, Sellier & Bellot - that brass is good. When I think of the others, I'll list them.  :thumbup:

Seeing the negative comments toward Federal brass has me wondering. For my reloads I've been using Federal brass from some 150grn Federal Fusion rounds I shot up. The brass seems to be good. I'm on the 3rd loading for 60 of the pieces. I've got 40 in reserve. I haven't seen any pressure signs, other than the primers lightly flattened. Nothing bad. I'm loading 168grn TTSX bullets over 44.7 of Varget. I'm using Winchester large primers, and I do clean the primer pocket and flash hole. Getting a five round average of 2562fps. I use full length RCBS dies. And, I do a very light crimp with a crimping die. I've got 65rnds loaded. They're my hunting loads.

I've fired about 40 rounds of this load testing for accuracy and the best seating depth. I haven't had any trouble so far out of the Federal brass I'm using. I'll definitely keep a close watch on them though. I checked all my loaded rounds after reading the above comments, and didn't notice any issues on the brass. They have been firing well from my PA10, with no issues at all.

22 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

There are others I'm forgetting.  CBC ammo.  It shoots like shiit, but the brass is good for 4 or 5 loadings, then throw it away.  S&B ammo, Sellier & Bellot - that brass is good. When I think of the others, I'll list them.  :thumbup:

Just went through my minuscule brass stash and came up with 72 CBC cases. I'm gonna work up a batch see how she does. I'll updated in another 6 months:nutkick:

@mley1 I was in the same boat. Bought a bunch of Fusion back in the day and been using the fired cases all these years. As far as factory ammo goes, I had great results running it through my R25. 

Have any of you guys read the Handloader Magazine article.. ( from Dec. _ Jan. 2009 ) titled "Developing An Accurate .308 Handload" ... while the rifle used was a Sako TRG-22 Bolt action .... it has a TON of VERY useful info....including brass life from that rifle... YMMV in a SA .308 AR.

image.thumb.png.e2551117aea9f1a3cf7f1fdeae58c43b.png

IM me if anyone is interested.

image.thumb.png.720a8ae0d722ecae7ed94bc92b238bde.png

16 minutes ago, bfoosh006 said:

Have any of you guys read the Handloader Magazine article.. ( from Dec. _ Jan. 2009 ) titled "Developing An Accurate .308 Handload" ... while the rifle used was a Sako TRG-22 Bolt action .... it has a TON of VERY useful info....including brass life from that rifle... YMMV in a SA .308 AR.

image.thumb.png.e2551117aea9f1a3cf7f1fdeae58c43b.png

IM me if anyone is interested.

image.thumb.png.720a8ae0d722ecae7ed94bc92b238bde.png

I'm interested. I'll send you a IM.

• 4 months later...

Looks like the barrel is breaking in. These are the same loads that I hunt with in my X-bolt. 42.5 gn of Varget under a 165 Sierra HPBT Gameking. They shoot under .5" at 100 in that rifle and make for a very short track, if at all. 

20180922_144552.thumb.jpg.940116dbc2ea2a24724d61f765327ebd.jpg

Also ditched the ultra lightweight scope mount for something more meaty. 

15376457917062553348968255911938.thumb.jpg.4fb519d19151e07fa2205d459d923ac5.jpg

Woodland critters beware. 

• 2 weeks later...

Speaking of reloading for the pa10, I have had good results so far using 7.62x51 nato brass, using 168 grain hornady hpbt bullets, and cfe223 powder. Good combination, but you need to be super careful preparing the brass, full length sizing with a small base die is a MUST.  Be very careful with your powder charge, because 7.62 nato is a different beast than .308 due to a different case volume. Right between 43.7 and 44 grains seems to be the sweet spot, extremely accurate. No signs of overpressure on brass or primers at this level. I know the pressure is very near the limit for the caliber.

This is the sweet spot for controlling the cost per round yet still getting very good accuracy. If you know a better and still inexpensive way, please speak up ?