• Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

PA10 Part 1

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

LC Brass , Starline , IMI , there are many with heavy Base Webs . I use once fired LC Brass for my 308AR's& M1A SOCOM , some reloaders don't like once fired Military Brass because it was shot out a a Machine Gun , proper inspection & Brass prep for me it has worked fine for so many years , I lost count .No Brass , even the expensive stuff is really not meant to be reloaded & its not the Brass make up , some are better at repetitive reloading , but with semi auto Rifles , they abuse Brass , Annealing is necessary to keep proper neck tension & even then 5-10 reloading's are normal ( & with the M14/M1A , maybe less ), which is not bad . To me its better then paying for loaded ammo & not reloading . 

That ring at the top of the Base Web is from pressure from a weak Case because of its stretching from repeated firing/loading /trimming cycles , when you process your brass , after a light cleaning , any showing that ring , should be retired from service . From lots shot from my SOCOM , I had a lot that had four out of fifty that had the rings , then another lot had four loading & had none , so its a crap shoot .

I use a Full Length Bushing Die the last couple of years & got away from my Small Base Die ( over thirty years in service , so it was time ) , with a FL Die , I have to Trim less off the Case , about half what the initial SB would & to me that has proven to permit the Case life to be extended with most cases .The loaded ammo works fine in all my 308's , so the FL Sizing is not a factor .

As far as reloading for the 7.62/.308, it simply isn't necessary to use a small base sizing die, but if it makes you feel better, go ahead. I've used an RCBS standard sizing die for 5 different semi auto rifles, and all function just fine. Just make sure the resized brass fits into a case gauge properly. 

I've used lots of different brands of brass (still using some IMI 30-06 brass I bought in the 80s. Fantastic stuff!) and have never had a problem using 1x-fired military brass, even if it was fired from a machine gun. I'll continue using it. Just follow good reloading procedures and you'll be fine.

I think the need for a small base die depends on what the once fired brass came out of. I can speak from experience when getting my pa10 up and running, my lot of 7.62 LC brass would not size properly at all with a regular FL die, after sizing like that, it would not fit a case gauge properly, or chamber in the rifle. A small base die was the only way I found to get the brass back in spec. Subsequent reloading of the brass and the regular FL die was all that was required to load again. 

I have a feeling this situation was due to the brass having been fired from a very old and worn machine gun. After that initial small base resize, the brass has worked well and the reloads very accurate.

So the ol PA10 is getting a new pipe. A few guys in my support group told me it's ok to have more than one 308AR and here we are.

I robbed the Faxon pencil so it can go in a lightweight "Dikstroker" edition large framer I'm building. Found a deal on a SS fluted 18" mid. For about 100 bucks this thing is nice. Machine work is beautiful. If it shoots half as good as it looks, we might have something. Headspacing to commence with the PA10 bolt. 

20181031_170830.thumb.jpg.819868412a7d632b1d75e06549023927.jpg

Edited by Boot_Scraper

• 2 weeks later...

Had some good results with my El Cheapo barrel at the range today. Did a methodical break in then went for 100yd groups with my reloads. Also tuned in the gas block for said reloads.

20181112_125817.thumb.jpg.0eff1e1c9c54cb57378fe4909a63dda4.jpg

The rifle looks pretty bad ass to boot. If any one is looking for a budget build, this barrel would be hard to beat. I believe it to be made by BCA as it shares the same PN and specs. BCA is selling them for about 60 bucks right now. 

20181111_093046.thumb.jpg.b1f403b76946a7401106755c7ea302ac.jpg

20181111_090547.thumb.jpg.8d63a6d595fd882c0ec16a8e6c5ba5ed.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/12/2018 at 5:52 PM, Boot_Scraper said:

Thanks @jtallen83

Also scored a good bit of 308 Winchester range gold. Prolly looked like a hobo picking up trash but fugg it.20181112_130257.thumb.jpg.3aac6a04c2f0cd03aa5d9bcc54d45811.jpg

If i see the guy picking up brass in the sand pit I always offer my own. It makes for the best relationships.. and conversations! 

nice target pic!