• Visit Sportsmans Guide

16" or 18" Barrel??

Boot_Scraper

16" or 18"?  

14 members have voted

1. 1. Which one?

• 16" barrel
    • 18" barrel

I tried the search function but came up empty.

I got a 18" on my PA10 at the moment, which shoots and functions really well (sub moa). However, Faxon has a very tempting deal right now on a 16" and I just can't shake it. I'll use the rifle mostly to deer/hog hunt. Shots will be well under 100yds. Lighter weight and a shorter, handier rifle would suit my needs better but how bad would the muzzle blast be on the 16"? I am running a linear comp btw. Thanks for some opinions. 

• Boot_Scraper changed the title to 16" or 18" Barrel??
4 hours ago, survivalshop said:

16"

Very compelling argument. I love your conviction!! 

Well just when I thought I was done. :liar: My budget build is not really following it's original path. Thanks to the fine folks (I blame ya'll wholeheartedly) on this forum I gotta sexy new 16" Faxon pipe and an adjustable gas block in the US Postal system. 

Thanks @Robocop1051 

Anybody want a sweet deal on an 18" middy"?:banana:

Edited by Boot_Scraper

Yes muzzle blast will be more then your 18".... I'm not sure how much, but trust your instincts, the .308 has a lot of volume of propellant gas.... the linear comp will help as much as possible.

And as long as the barrels profile has as much mass as possible towards the receiver, it will be much more nimble / balanced feeling.

As for the "fever" in respect for AR parts... it is .. well terminal... Lol
I looked at the barrel, and it is a bargin.... ( A bargin is something you don't need , but is a hell of a deal... Lol )

Personally, I think you only live once... enjoy your hobby.... Buy it. And consider adding an adjustable gas block... works wonders IMHO.

9 minutes ago, bfoosh006 said:

Yes muzzle blast will be more then your 18".... I'm not sure how much, but trust your instincts, the .308 has a lot of volume of propellant gas.... the linear comp will help as much as possible.

And as long as the barrels profile has as much mass as possible towards the receiver, it will be much more nimble / balanced feeling.

As for the "fever" in respect for AR parts... it is .. well terminal... Lol
I looked at the barrel, and it is a bargin.... ( A bargin is something you don't need , but is a hell of a deal... Lol )

Personally, I think you only live once... enjoy your hobby.... Buy it. And consider adding an adjustable gas block... works wonders IMHO.

Spot on :thumbup:. It is done. I'll post some updates.

Saw that too. I gotta pace myself. It shipped already anyways. 

Thanks for looking out though! @bfoosh006

Now I'm onto optics. The giant Nikon I have ain't gonna cut it. I'm normally a vortex kinda guy but I'm eyeing a VX-2 by Leupold. It's a smidge lighter. 

Edited by Boot_Scraper

21 minutes ago, Boot_Scraper said:

Saw that too. I gotta pace myself. It shipped already anyways. 

Thanks for looking out though! @bfoosh006

Now I'm onto optics. The giant Nikon I have ain't gonna cut it. I'm normally a vortex kinda guy but I'm eyeing a VX-2 by Leupold. It's a smidge lighter. 

Email them, they credited me a week after I ordered my arak upper 

dont hurt to ask

Edited by shepp

Most .308 cartridges get complete ignition in 15.5 inches. A long time ago I posted a breakdown of the velocity from about 6" out to 26" in 2" increments. After 16" the increase in velocity drops considerably. The bonus of a 20" vs a 16" is negligible. It's really only worth it to jump to 24" and if you do that then you should be shooting a 6.5c and not a .308. 

The .308 is really only optimal to 600 yards. After that the 6.5c surpasses it in performance. A 16" .308 will perform near as well as a 24" .308 under 600 yards. So there's not a bunch of reasons to have an extra long .308... other than "because I want one"... which really is the best reason to buy anything. 

5 hours ago, FreQRiDeR said:

I just use a faster burning powder.

IMHO....IMR 3031... pretty sure it was used in the original FGMM... the red and white boxed stuff.

The M1A guys certainly like it in the 16" M1A Scout... made tack drivers out of numerous Scouts over on M14Forum.com

Edited by bfoosh006

2 hours ago, Robocop1051 said:

Most .308 cartridges get complete ignition in 15.5 inches. A long time ago I posted a breakdown of the velocity from about 6" out to 26" in 2" increments. After 16" the increase in velocity drops considerably. The bonus of a 20" vs a 16" is negligible. It's really only worth it to jump to 24" and if you do that then you should be shooting a 6.5c and not a .308. 

The .308 is really only optimal to 600 yards. After that the 6.5c surpasses it in performance. A 16" .308 will perform near as well as a 24" .308 under 600 yards. So there's not a bunch of reasons to have an extra long .308... other than "because I want one"... which really is the best reason to buy anything. 

Would you still have a link to your info?

I'd like to look at it.