• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Walther Q5 Match

blue109

Im a walther whore...and ive been curious about pistols with optics..so SHAZAM! 

ill start with my dislikes: it only comes with a standard US style button mag release. The rear sight is built into one of the optic mount plates, so adding an optic means you loose a rear sight to cowitness.  I had planned on purchasing a leupold Deltapoint Pro because it has an optional rear sight but the dang thing is huge and you need a really tall front sight to cowitness.  Looks goofy. Im running a docter sight now and you can just barely see the tip of the front sight through the window so it helps a little. The Docter is pretty nice. Glass is clear and the auto bright seems to work very well. No issues shooting into a flashlight splash at night, or shooting from a dark area into a brightly lit one. The auto is fast and seamless. There is no off switch so I leave the cover on it during storage but its known for decent battery life. Its a bottom mount battery so must be removed to change it out. 

I just bought a brand new 4" walther PPQ M1 for the sole purpose of stealing the M1 frame (paddle mag release) and swapping it onto my Q5.

Aside from just preferring the paddle mag release, it will be compatible with all my P99 magazines now. Ill be selling the new 4" with my M2 frame and blue match trigger to a friend. Probably pick up an apex flat face trigger with the $100 walther rebate.

Also plan on trying the Shield RMS optic. it is very low and has a notch machined into the rear housing that may work as a backup rear sight. Not perfect because it cant be adjusted, but will at least let you get close. It doesnt fit any of the Q5 mount plates but Shield says they are working on their own aftermarket adapter right now so ill put alil something away for that. 

Only put 200rds through it so far but no issues. As good as the PPQ trigger is and as much hype as it gets, it cant hang with my P99AS (greatest handgun on the planet) will take a bit more shooting to get use to the optic. I shot tighter close range groups with the P99, but Q5 was awesome at longer ranges with the target blowing around. Not necessarily good groups, but more hits in the zone. Just ordered up a case of 9mm so ill update after some more familiarization.

PicsArt_07-30-12.33.19.jpg

PicsArt_07-29-04.44.03.jpg

PicsArt_07-22-11.22.48.jpg

PicsArt_08-13-06.11.43.jpg

Edited by blue109

Bang! PPQ M1 frame on my Q5. Wasnt a fan of the blue trigger, and thankfully my buddy who owns the donor PPQ likes it so I didnt have to tear the guns apart to swap them. I cant feel any difference between them so I think any claims of it being better than the regular trigger are just placebo and marketing.  

Now to find a weapon light....and then work on the holster situation. Viridian fits pretty good.  My TLR3 looks goofy but a friend is bringing me a TLR1 to try out. 

If anyone wants to donate to the cause,  I fell in love with a $650 steiner laser/light. Im a little short :D

PicsArt_08-30-06.32.18.jpg

PicsArt_08-30-08.51.50.jpg

Edited by blue109

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/30/2017 at 9:53 PM, blue109 said:

Bang! PPQ M1 frame on my Q5. Wasnt a fan of the blue trigger, and thankfully my buddy who owns the donor PPQ likes it so I didnt have to tear the guns apart to swap them. I cant feel any difference between them so I think any claims of it being better than the regular trigger are just placebo and marketing.  

Now to find a weapon light....and then work on the holster situation. Viridian fits pretty good.  My TLR3 looks goofy but a friend is bringing me a TLR1 to try out. 

If anyone wants to donate to the cause,  I fell in love with a $650 steiner laser/light. Im a little short :D

PicsArt_08-30-06.32.18.jpg

PicsArt_08-30-08.51.50.jpg

Thats a lot of Pistol with the Light on it . 

That viridian looked a little too sci-fi and i dont like the controls. Went with a TLR-1 300 lumen.  us walther folk use to have to mod the TSW key for a good fit, but the new light has a sig320 key that fits absolutely perfect. need a holster now (another pain in the A$$ for us non glock/xd/S&W guys. Found some sweet looking semi-custom holsters but they are all $120-180 so I think im going to try one of those new blackhawk Omnivore holsters for the moment. Still plan on swapping the docter sight for the Shield RMS and ill probably call the gun done after that. 

Like a glove...

PicsArt_09-21-07.39.32.jpg

PicsArt_09-21-07.34.21.jpg

5 minutes ago, blue109 said:

@sketch

Looks like my gen1 PPS.  It has a roll pin in that hole that helps secure the sight in the notch. Either way...Probably wont work with a generic mount. 

Im sure it can be done...but it probably wont be cheap or easy so you need to decide if its worth it. 

Thanks brother!  ill forward your info!

the tlr 1 is the cats pajamas ?

It honestly took me some fumbling around to figure out the battery situation so I can see how that would happen. I ALMOST looked at the directions,  but luckily I got it open before having to shame myself by reading. the dot is easily visible in the light. No problem even splashing against a white wall. That docter is a nice little optic. 

I looked at the X300 but its a little bit longer and the mount doesnt line up with the pistol rail. Gives it a "step". Was also looking at that AA powered insight light but I couldnt find any pics on a walther and didnt want to risk crappy fitment.  Im pretty happy with form/function here. Put 200 more through it after work last week to test the new frame and still flawless. Will try to sneak another session in next week with the light attached.

• 2 months later...

Shield RMS has landed. Went with the 8MOA dot. Had to hunt for screws this morning but i think i got it sorted. Cowitness looks promising. I might need a slightly taller front sight but I can just move this one to my P99 if I do. Going to try and hit the range in the morning to see where its at. Just waiting on my super expensive holster to get finished and we are set. Also snagged a couple 17rd mags...just because.

PicsArt_12-02-10.59.46.jpg

PicsArt_12-02-11.06.53.jpg

Edited by blue109

• 4 weeks later...

Never thought id pay this much for a holster...but options are limited for walther folk. Longs Shadow Holsters CrestoneL2. Took a bit to get it all adjusted but it fits perfect. Silky smooth. The thumb break was a little sharp so I took the edges down with sand paper and its all good.  Got a mag pouch as well since none of my current closed top ones fit the 17rd. Tossed it on a spare duty belt for now so I can play around and practice with it but so far its awesome. Came with the blade-tech belt slider but he has options for Gcode and safariland as well. I ordered a blade-tech DOH and tek-lok to try out. Also have a TMMS QD adapter on the way. Going to try and set it up so I can leave the slider on my duty belt and just click whatever holster onto it I plan on carrying.

PicsArt_01-07-02.28.49.jpg

PicsArt_01-07-02.31.26.jpg

PicsArt_01-07-02.38.49.jpg

Edited by blue109