• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Walther Q5 Match

blue109

They only list holsters for the M2 (button mag release) frames. I called to ask if it would work with my paddle mag release and he told me he would tweak it a little. He even flared and clearanced the area around the trigger guard so you could drop the mag with the gun holstered, but its still covered enough so theres no chance of it happening accidentally. Nice little touch.

I did notice a small spot on the front of the slide that is rubbing after 2 days of draw/mag/reholster. Not sure if I want to try and loosen it up or just roll with it. Holster wear is sexy.

PicsArt_01-07-02.34.35.jpg

Edited by blue109

• 3 weeks later...

Updated the holster pics at the end of page 1 to some nicer ones. Another 400 flawless rounds today. Mostly S&B 115 gr junk I plink with and some 124 HST that I carry to confirm any change in POI.  Used P99, PPQ, SW99, and MR9 mags. Not a single stutter. I really like this gun. The RMS sight is still dead on. Shield is releasing their custom Q5 optic plate at SHOT that is lower than the factory walther plate and will allow a better cowitness.  Waiting on a price to see if its worth buying. They are officially announcing a RMSc optic that has the same footprint but is narrower than the standard RMS for mounting on subcompacts and 1911s. rumor mill says they are also announcing a RMSw model that is waterproof and hardened for duty use. I think Shield is about to be a player. 

I also put new mepros on the workhorse P99 and ran 150 through her to zero. Boringly reliable as usual. Still my baby.

• 3 months later...

Little update on the optic. Getting ready for my yearly vegas work trip and im bringing the Q so I popped a fresh battery in. Shield claims a couple years for battery life but it was noticeably less bright after 6 months. It was still plenty usable, but clearly down on power. To be fair ive kept the gun in a lit area 24/7 sice I installed the RMS so ive pushed the battery pretty hard. 6 months on full bright isnt too bad, and you dont need to remove the unit it to swap batteries so no biggie. probably 1500ish rds through the gun and not a single hiccup.  this thing is fantastic. 

PicsArt_04-30-06.30.19.jpg

2 hours ago, blue109 said:

Little update on the optic. Getting ready for my yearly vegas work trip and im bringing the Q so I popped a fresh battery in. Shield claims a couple years for battery life but it was noticeably less bright after 6 months. It was still plenty usable, but clearly down on power. To be fair ive kept the gun in a lit area 24/7 sice I installed the RMS so ive pushed the battery pretty hard. 6 months on full bright isnt too bad, and you dont need to remove the unit it to swap batteries so no biggie. probably 1500ish rds through the gun and not a single hiccup.  this thing is fantastic. 

PicsArt_04-30-06.30.19.jpg

Is that a smile or grin? :thumbup:

The Q5 makes it easy. Honestly. I cant do that with my P99 as much as I love it. Im sure the gun is capable but i just dont get to train enough to get it done. Im sold on pistol optics. Not for any accuracy advantage but for the speed advantage and ease of target acquisition.  Both eyes open and just put the dot where you want the round to fall. Im planning on making the fall shoot so some of you guys will see how good this thing is. 

• 1 month later...

Continued development

Finally bought the Walther specific optic plate from Shield. Very well machined and comes with new hardware.  Significantly thinner and lighter than the factory supplied DELTAPOINT plate I was using. fits better as well. The factory plates cover the open striker channel of the gun which is why they are thick. The shield plate leaves it open and uses the bottom of the optic to cover the channel.  Id guess it tucks the optic about 1/16" lower into the slide than the factory plates did. Since the optic acts as the rear sight...this should make a significant difference in the cowitness with the short sight radius. Very happy with the appearance.  Hope to hit the range this afternoon and will update.

IMG_20180709_210823_150.jpg

PicsArt_07-12-05.33.48.png

Edited by blue109

• 2 weeks later...

Overshot the mark a little. The new plate moved the rear sight down a little too much and its grouping low now. Its still usable at defensive distances with a little holdover. I was "dotting the i" for this session and it was a little closer if covered the target area with the front blade, but im not use to shooting that way and groups suffer. I only had a few hundred rds with me so I want to get back out before I make any changes but a lower front sight is pretty cheap. I can also just leave it as is since the dot is dead on and the fixed sights are just a backup in the event of electronic failure.  

PicsArt_07-21-05.49.26.jpg

• 1 year later...
On 1/2/2018 at 12:15 AM, blue109 said:

Never thought id pay this much for a holster...but options are limited for walther folk. Longs Shadow Holsters CrestoneL2. Took a bit to get it all adjusted but it fits perfect. Silky smooth. The thumb break was a little sharp so I took the edges down with sand paper and its all good.  Got a mag pouch as well since none of my current closed top ones fit the 17rd. Tossed it on a spare duty belt for now so I can play around and practice with it but so far its awesome. Came with the blade-tech belt slider but he has options for Gcode and safariland as well. I ordered a blade-tech DOH and tek-lok to try out. Also have a TMMS QD adapter on the way. Going to try and set it up so I can leave the slider on my duty belt and just click whatever holster onto it I plan on carrying.

PicsArt_01-07-02.28.49.jpg

PicsArt_01-07-02.31.26.jpg

PicsArt_01-07-02.38.49.jpg

Hey Blue,

i want to order the same holster but i cannot find the selection of the Q5 with a Light on?
i can only select it without a light? How did you order and select this beauty?

greetings.

Interesting.  Pretty sure it had a drop down when I ordered it. Id say shoot them a message or give them a call. The guy is very cool and we BS'd for a while before I ordered. 

Still loving this holster. Its big and not something id walk around with every day, but great for duty carry or range/camping.  Some of the guys here got to fondle it recently and everybody liked it. 

4 hours ago, blue109 said:

Interesting.  Pretty sure it had a drop down when I ordered it. Id say shoot them a message or give them a call. The guy is very cool and we BS'd for a while before I ordered. 

Still loving this holster. Its big and not something id walk around with every day, but great for duty carry or range/camping.  Some of the guys here got to fondle it recently and everybody liked it. 

Go on the site and see for your self there is only a option for a normal Q5 without a light..

i will talk to them thank you anyways!!

13 hours ago, blue109 said:

That's one damn sweet setup, brother- I was liking that, ALOT.