• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Water fowl 2017

shepp

Teal, goose and dove opened Friday morning. Got out with my buddy in his new  prodigy duck boat Saturday and this morning

Saturday was a low of 47, with 75 degree water that made a lot of fog so we were stuck at the launch till sun up. Got out set up and about two hours we had 35+ wood ducks come in, of course we couldn't shoot any of them. No teal or goose but it was nice watching those woodies and the young bald eagle giving our decoys the look and the hummingbird three feet from my head, that's what hunting is to me tho, harvest is just a bonus.

this morning we got out before sun up got set up and right away had a blue wing teal come in 4 min before shooting hours. It got up and met up with some green wings and ended up working back it and we got two of the green wings. 

IMG_8232.JPG

IMG_8233.JPG

IMG_8256.JPG

Edited by shepp

9 hours ago, sketch said:

nice!! what gage is that? on the floor looks small in the pick. damn i have a used momarsh i havent tried yet.. only hunted out of a boat once, and it sucked! and no ducks.. did see an eagle steal a duck from the lake on that trip!! 

12ga either a 2.5" BBB (I wasn't planning on seeing teal lol) or my buddy shoots 3.5" BB

23 hours ago, sketch said:

yep mostly #2 shot but an ocasional bb gets in there for long shots.. and geese for sure.

You seen those mojo flock a flickers???? If not check them out I picked up a six pack of them last week from midway, they'll step up your game!!

i dont have alot of room to shoot where i hunt and its 90% dry corn feilds.. mud! its a task to pack 20- 30 deaks out some times.. i have a couple mojo wind deaks that have worked in the past.. except the ground rods that they come with! flimsy shits.. so i made my own.

20170907_201136.jpg

20170907_201152.jpg

52 minutes ago, First Sergeant said:

I mainly hunt flooded timber holes. We typically use a jerk decoy to get a little motion and water ripple on a calm day.  Run a stick in the ground take a dec and attach surgical tubing in one end decoy line on the other. 

I've seen that too, be a mess here it's a bay/back waters of a river. It's thick with vegetation super hard to walk through but the birds are also thick in there. I want to hunt flooded timber someday, we were suppose to in Arkansas this past January but there wasn't enough water. 

Very nice they're so beautiful!!! I'm blessed being in the Mississippi/Lake Michigan flyways I'll get some odd balls thru here mainly mallards, woodies and teal. Another blessing is my good friend has a duck boat prodigy 1754 with a mud buddy motor, not many places that thing won't go. It's got a coating on the bottom of it called gator glide (you tube it) we skipped across a mud flat like a rock across water last weekend 

7 minutes ago, sketch said:

that looks like fun shepp! 

So fun!!! Specially when your in super skinny water. My buddy wanted to pussy foot it thru cuz of stumps and rocks and downed trees, but as the dirt bikers say "when in doubt throttle out" is the perfect quote. More speed less boat in the water

the second time I turn the camera to the side you can see sand bottom, we're in less than 2' of water

Edited by shepp

• 3 weeks later...