• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

My first PSA Gen II 308

se3388

After buying and also building a dozen or so AR15s over the years I decided to get another 308 AR style rifle, I already have an AR 10 A2 and really like it except for the weight and it is very accurate with Rl12 and 155 gr A-Max bullets. I just ordered a PSA Gen II 308 complete lower, not sure what the upper will be or if I will build an upper for it. I'm thinking about maybe an 18 inch barrel (or maybe 20 inch) and Magpul Moe handguard (if they make them for it). The rifle will be for Deer hunting and Range work.

Steve............

Edited by se3388

1 minute ago, se3388 said:

No comments either way here, hhhhmmmm , did I make a mistake buying a PSA Gen II?

Steve............

Best to get upper and lower of the same brand. PSA parts compatibility has given more than a few fits. There is a sub section for PSA, I would start there and then use the search function for other compatibility threads.

After reading A LOT of stuff about PSA stuff it seems that the Gen II stuff is the better way to go if you get PSA stuff. I decided whether I build or buy a complete upper it will be PSA so I will have as few problems as possible. I think my problem is going to be what kind/style of hand guards to get. I don't think Magpul makes the Moe style for PSA stuff.

Steve...........

Edited by se3388

Welcome Steve! I have a PA10 as well. I bought an upper assembly. If I could do it again, I'da bought a stripped upper and pieced it together and saved a few dollars. I have a Diamondhead VRS-T handguard on mine along with a Faxon 16" pencil .308. The PA-10 uses a "low" DPMS LR-308  pattern HG. I'm very pleased with the finished product. The 18" nitride that came with it shot great (.7 moa) but was too heavy for my liking, 2.75lbs. The Faxon is 1.78Lb. 

Edited by Boot_Scraper

I've got a PA10 I'm happy with. It's got the 18" SS barrel and Mlock fore end. I bought the fore end and lower separate. Then put them together. The price was pretty good. The only thing on mine is that it's a bit over gassed. I'll be putting an adjustable gas block on it soon.

20 minutes ago, se3388 said:

I'm glad because all I need is the upper receiver and bcg. I e-mailed them three times over the past two weeks asking about uppers and bcg's  with no reply back.

Steve........

Get yourself on the email notification list and jump when you get the email. Getting on the list also helps them judge demand so sign up for both complete and stripped uppers.

Thanks, I just added myself to the notification list for the upper receiver and bcg. I always looked at the tiles and it said 'out of stock' so I didn't click on it to be able to see the e-mail notification link. Someday I'll catch on, LOL.

Steve.........

7 hours ago, se3388 said:

Thanks, I just added myself to the notification list for the upper receiver and bcg. I always looked at the tiles and it said 'out of stock' so I didn't click on it to be able to see the e-mail notification link. Someday I'll catch on, LOL.

Steve.........

They have both stripped uppers and full uppers that have the dust cover and FA installed, make sure to get on both notification lists.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I got it together finally and fired ten rounds off the back porch with a twenty round C Products mag without a hitch. My ejection port door hasn't come in yet so I put it together anyway. I'll try to get to the Range later this week and maybe post a few targets if I'm not too ashamed of my ability.

All PSA except for the NIB bolt carrier group which came from WC Armory, not sure of the brand.

Steve............

20171023_205319.jpg

Edited by se3388

15 hours ago, se3388 said:

No range trip yet as we are having winds blowing 30 to 45 mph and gusts higher for yesterday and the next few days. I fired five more rounds off the back porch with no problems at all.

Steve.........

Steve I have this mental picture of you being someone living in a suburban development, and surrounded by houses, and every time you fire five rounds off the back porch your neighbors head for the basement! :laffs: I know its not true, but I keep on thinking of it and laughing! Nice looking rifle by the way.

9 hours ago, Sisco said:

Steve I have this mental picture of you being someone living in a suburban development, and surrounded by houses, and every time you fire five rounds off the back porch your neighbors head for the basement! :laffs: I know its not true, but I keep on thinking of it and laughing! Nice looking rifle by the way.

Been there, done that. 

That's funny as about a month ago I took my AK out on the back porch and let rip with a thirty round mag holding it down by my side doing the bump fire thing (no slide fire stock just doing it manually) while my neighbors teenage kid had about six friends over playing basketball in their driveway across from my house. My Wife was watching them when I cut loose and she said at the first shot they dropped the ball and all went inside in quite a hurry. They didn't come outside for the rest of the evening. That's the same little turd that started playing basketball at 1:00 am one time till I yelled out the front door at him "Your Daddy has to go to work tomorrow so let him sleep". He said sorry and went inside.

When I moved in I called the Sheriff's Dept and asked if it was legal to shoot at my address and the Deputy said if I wasn't shooting my neighbors house or cars going down the road they couldn't do anything.

Steve................

Edited by se3388