• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

My first PSA Gen II 308

se3388

I got a chance to go to the range but it was crowded as people were there sighting in for Deer Season this Saturday. I didn't have time to wait to retrieve targets or take pic's of them but the rifle did fairly well for me. Best groups were with IMR 4895 and 168 gr bullets and 175 gr Match bullets. Those groups were basically one inch with most all others going into 1.5 inch groups, a couple with 150 grain bullets were in the 2 to 2.5 inch range. The only problem I had was with LT30 powder, for some reason it had feeding problems. Out of 5 rounds 3 would start to feed out of the mag but stop halfway with the bolt hitting the side of the case. I didn't do it with any of the other loads before or after that. All in all I'm pretty happy with it. Thanks Boot_Scraper.

Steve..........

• 4 months later...
On 10/6/2017 at 11:44 PM, Boot_Scraper said:

wow, first search result for AR-10 and i hit your post.  Was looking for info on PSA upper /Faxon barrel compatability and found you!.  I just gave up waiting tor the PSA 20" nitride uppers to come back in stock and ordered the  18" nitrided upper with A2 grips.  I figured in time i could add the Faxon 20" big gunner and handguard of my choice.  But i started seeing issues with headspace and ejection with non-PSA barrels.  Were you OK with the PSA bolt for headspace and ejection?

Welcome Steve! I have a PA10 as well. I bought an upper assembly. If I could do it again, I'da bought a stripped upper and pieced it together and saved a few dollars. I have a Diamondhead VRS-T handguard on mine along with a Faxon 16" pencil .308. The PA-10 uses a "low" DPMS LR-308  pattern HG. I'm very pleased with the finished product. The 18" nitride that came with it shot great (.7 moa) but was too heavy for my liking, 2.75lbs. The Faxon is 1.78Lb. 

10 hours ago, terrt_tr6 said:

Welcome Steve! I have a PA10 as well. I bought an upper assembly. If I could do it again, I'da bought a stripped upper and pieced it together and saved a few dollars. I have a Diamondhead VRS-T handguard on mine along with a Faxon 16" pencil .308. The PA-10 uses a "low" DPMS LR-308  pattern HG. I'm very pleased with the finished product. The 18" nitride that came with it shot great (.7 moa) but was too heavy for my liking, 2.75lbs. The Faxon is 1.78Lb. 

Not sure what happened with the quote there..... but, I had the PSA bolt checked with the Faxon barrel by a professional gunsmith and it was.......... good to go. I have had no issues at all with the Faxon/PSA combo. 1.2ish MOA but I have yet to tweak my reloads. Actually I'm going test a batch tomorrow. We'll see.

thanks for the info, that is good to know.  just got shipping notice and i should have the upper tuesday.  I have a 10 and 2-20 rd magpul  magazines and am shopping around for more mags.  looking for recommendations on metal ones too.  I just don't trust plastic for long term loaded storage.

1 minute ago, terrt_tr6 said:

I just don't trust plastic for long term loaded storage.

No reason not to - MagPul has been kicking ass in that arena for more than 10 years now.  Faults would have shown up.

Go hit the Intro Section and tell us about yourself.

10 minutes ago, terrt_tr6 said:

so they (magpuls ) hold up under long term pressure?  good!

With the dust covers in place during storage there is no pressure on the feedlips. Can't say I have heard of issues with P-mags except for a bad batch a few years back and Magpul happily took care of everyone that got them and contacted Magpul.

On 10/9/2017 at 10:39 PM, se3388 said:

Looks like it will be quite a while till I can get an upper as PSA has been out of stock for a while.

Steve.............

Yeah Steve, you have to get them while PSA has them. Luckily I scored a 14.7" pinned and welded PSA upper a couple years ago and haven't seen them since. 

couldn't wait for the nitrided freefloat uppers to come in stock so bought the 18" classic upper versioy.  And of course the day after it arrived the 18" freefloat upper came in stock.  For about 12 hrs.... But very happy with what i got.  Shot some junk surplus stuff and the Nigerian '86 gave me 50 yd 2-3moa groups.  Best part is NO copper fouling! I like that nitride finish. 

also found a ammo provider SGAammo.com that has a big selection of .308.  Alot of the cheap stuff is sold out in bulk BUT they sell single boxes of everything and just a little over bulk prices and almost everthing was available.  So i bought 6 or 7 kinds of cheep stuff to test out.  If i have to pay $1/rd, for accurate stuff i'll load my own, but if i can find  something the gun likes as decent blasting stuff for $.40,  I'll keep a case around for fun stuff

On 3/31/2018 at 12:23 PM, terrt_tr6 said:

also found a ammo provider SGAammo.com that has a big selection of .308.  Alot of the cheap stuff is sold out in bulk BUT they sell single boxes of everything and just a little over bulk prices and almost everthing was available.  So i bought 6 or 7 kinds of cheep stuff to test out.  If i have to pay $1/rd, for accurate stuff i'll load my own, but if i can find  something the gun likes as decent blasting stuff for $.40,  I'll keep a case around for fun stuff

I've been checking out SGammo.com they do have good prices. I picked up some cheap surp from them and Ammograb.com. This is more of a filter but works well and I have found 308 for about $0.40 rd most the time. I'll hand load for target and hunting rounds.   I too will be testing the PA 10 out with surp and brass just to start. Thanks for the info.

Edited by GoodByNAair

• 2 weeks later...

just finished an afternoon at the range and tested 7 varieties of "cheap" .308 through my new PSA AR-10.  5 shots each at 50 yds off a rest and 21x scope.  Tulammo, 150fmj and 168 SP,  Wolf 145 polyformance and 168 fmj, malaysian 146 L2A2, PMC 147fmj, and german milsurp 148fmj. 

Winner was the malaysian, no contest(1", one blown out hole),  with the PMC 147fmj(3") and wolf 168 military classic(2 1/4") easily tied for last place. All the others were 1 1/4-1 1/2"  groups.  Remember this was at 50 ys. Only failure was a stovepipe with one PMC round.   Malaysian group is pictured.

mal308.jpg

last night i ordered a can of the Mala. ammo.  Years ago a friend got me the end of a roll of newsprint to make targets out of. newspapers throw it away so it's free.  Not the best material because it doesn't punch clean holes, but i've been using it for 5+ years and still have a year or 2 worth of paper.  usually my groups are not this tight....

On 4/12/2018 at 7:45 PM, terrt_tr6 said:

just finished an afternoon at the range and tested 7 varieties of "cheap" .308 through my new PSA AR-10.  5 shots each at 50 yds off a rest and 21x scope.  Tulammo, 150fmj and 168 SP,  Wolf 145 polyformance and 168 fmj, malaysian 146 L2A2, PMC 147fmj, and german milsurp 148fmj. 

Winner was the malaysian, no contest(1", one blown out hole),  with the PMC 147fmj(3") and wolf 168 military classic(2 1/4") easily tied for last place. All the others were 1 1/4-1 1/2"  groups.  Remember this was at 50 ys. Only failure was a stovepipe with one PMC round.   Malaysian group is pictured.

mal308.jpg

Awesome... seriously. I love to see this... how current is the production date of the firearm ? Sorry if you have stated prior to me asking.

On 4/15/2018 at 6:48 PM, terrt_tr6 said:

the 40rd box  i tested is1978.  I have a ammo can of it on order, no idea what the date will be.  supposedly range from '78 to early 80's

Sorry... I meant your PSA GenII ... I follow the subtle improvements PSA does to them ... so how long ago did you order yours is what I meant.

• 2 weeks later...

I picked up my completed PSA lower this afternoon. Love the grip and stock. Was foolin' around with some mags I got.

ASC drop free-no problems. My funstore had some C-products for cheap so i picked up 5. These will be strictly range mags

for the time being. Out of the five only 1 would seat without a problem! I was able to see where the wear marks were with 2 others

and filed/sanded them to slip in. 2 others I'll have to massage with the belt sander. Stay away! if they feed ok they'll just be for the range.

Upper supposed to be here Monday evening. Hope to get out Tuesday.