• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Input needed on first Build

13PTBUCK

I am slowly narrowing down my parts list and getting ready to start ordering parts.  Wanted to get some input on my parts selection and make sure things would go smoothly.  My goals/intended use is a light weight 16" 308 AR for hog hunting and at the range.  Hunting ranges will be from up close to about 200 yards.  Range distances will be up to 500 yards.  I would like it to be capable of 1/2-1 moa at 100 yards.  I plan to run a suppressor.  Please feel free to point out anywhere I can save weight, have issues with part compatibility, or left anything off.  Or your experiences with my parts selection.

Parts:

Upper/ Lower Receiver- I am looking at the Aero Precision M5.  I found a pretty good deal on a set with the hand guard.  But it is the M5E1 upper.  From what I can tell I would be stuck using their hand guards.  Not sure I want to bound to a hand guard and not be able to change it if I don't like it. 

Trigger- Geissele  not sure which one yet.

Lower parts kit- Aero Precision

Pistol Grip- Either Magpul MOE or ERGO.  I have the ERGO on my AR15 and really like it.

Charging handle-  BCM Gunfighter

Barrel-  I am not sure at this point.  I have been looking at the JP, Proof carbon fiber, and Criterion barrels in a medium contour. 

Gas system-  Would like rifle length but depending on barrel may end up with mid length.  

Gas Block- JP adjustable or Superlative Arms adjustable with the bleed off.  Thought the bleed off would be good with the suppressor.  But I need to do more research.

BCG-  Looking at the JP 

Hand Guard-  Looking at the Bravo Company KMR 13" or 15".  I want it to just cover the gas block and be cable of putting my Harris bi-pod on it for range days.  It is one of the lightest I have found so far.

Flash hider and suppressor-  AAC 762-SDN-6 is what I have been looking at. 

40 minutes ago, 13PTBUCK said:

Parts:

Upper/ Lower Receiver- I am looking at the Aero Precision M5.  I found a pretty good deal on a set with the hand guard.  But it is the M5E1 upper.  From what I can tell I would be stuck using their hand guards.  Not sure I want to bound to a hand guard and not be able to change it if I don't like it. 

Trigger- Geissele  not sure which one yet.

Lower parts kit- Aero Precision

Pistol Grip- Either Magpul MOE or ERGO.  I have the ERGO on my AR15 and really like it.

Charging handle-  BCM Gunfighter

Barrel-  I am not sure at this point.  I have been looking at the JP, Proof carbon fiber, and Criterion barrels in a medium contour. 

Gas system-  Would like rifle length but depending on barrel may end up with mid length.  

Gas Block- JP adjustable or Superlative Arms adjustable with the bleed off.  Thought the bleed off would be good with the suppressor.  But I need to do more research.

BCG-  Looking at the JP 

Hand Guard-  Looking at the Bravo Company KMR 13" or 15".  I want it to just cover the gas block and be cable of putting my Harris bi-pod on it for range days.  It is one of the lightest I have found so far.

Flash hider and suppressor-  AAC 762-SDN-6 is what I have been looking at. 

Trigger, do you prefer single or double stage? LaRue makes a very nice double stage every bit as good as Giessele, can't go wrong with Giessele though.

several here run rifle length gas systems on 16 inch barrels, easily doable.

Research that gas block some more. I have not been impressed with it on 308. Mine won't bleed enough gas to make a difference and it is a 16 inch rifle gas. There are threads here on it. I am a fan of SLR blocks.

Criterion impressed me on the last build I did. The Fulton HP BCG was a slick part as well, looked like the same improvements you get with JP but much less money. Fulton sells Criterion barrels headspaced with it as a set.

Manny here have the SDN-6, I have two, never heard a complaint.

2 hours ago, 13PTBUCK said:

Just wanted to point out something. You talked about wanting a lightweight rifle, which is all well and good but how much are you willing to spend to shed the ounces? The proof carbon and some other carbon barrels for one will give a nice lightweight barrel with great cooling properties and while still keeping a rather stiff barrel... but it comes at a cost. $940 cost if I am not mistaken for a proof carbon fiber barrel. You could get slightly heavier barrels for much cheaper. 

If you got the money to put more high end parts on your build and that's what you want, go for it. If not, keep in might you might have to compromise. 

That being said, you're building a rather short .308, not gonna be as long as your average bolt hunting rifle, so even if it is a little more weight, the weight will be closer to your core where it will be more manageable. Not to mention weight helps with recoil. 

If you want the carbon fiber barrel, maybe try https://christensenarms.com/

I mainly just wanted to point out the $ vs lightweight and other benefits with the barrel because it is the most noticeable, but it applies to most parts really.

As for other things:
Pistol grip- I like my Magpul MIAD Grips

Gas System- Keep in mind rifle length may feel nicer, but not all notice, and can make a rifle more picky with ammo which might take other tweeking then. Midlength might be the way to go for you if you shoot a lot of different loads. 

BCG- I know a while back I believe one of the site sponsors had a great deal on a nice bolt carrier group. Maybe checkout what our sponsors can offer your build, and they can usually help you out with any questions and give you a great deal. I don't think you can go wrong with JP, but it's gonna cost ya. lol.

Hand Guard- bravo company is reasonably priced and got a nice look, don't think you can go wrong if it is the style you like. Other things out there that are more simple and lighter, just not as tacticool in my opinion. :fullauto:

20 hours ago, jtallen83 said:

Trigger, do you prefer single or double stage? LaRue makes a very nice double stage every bit as good as Giessele, can't go wrong with Giessele though.

several here run rifle length gas systems on 16 inch barrels, easily doable.

Research that gas block some more. I have not been impressed with it on 308. Mine won't bleed enough gas to make a difference and it is a 16 inch rifle gas. There are threads here on it. I am a fan of SLR blocks.

Criterion impressed me on the last build I did. The Fulton HP BCG was a slick part as well, looked like the same improvements you get with JP but much less money. Fulton sells Criterion barrels headspaced with it as a set.

Manny here have the SDN-6, I have two, never heard a complaint.

Most of my trigger time has been with factory bolt gun and shotgun triggers. I swapped my AR15 trigger to a Timney single stage. I think it is 3 lbs out. I do not have any experience with a 2 stage trigger. 

I will check out the door blocks. Definitely will be doing more research before I order one. 

I will take a look at the criterion and Fulton bolt. From what I have been reading it sounds like it is best to go with a bolt and barrel from the same place so it will be headspace. 

I have a Proof CF barrel. It was ridiculously expensive. It's a badass barrel... but worth it??? I don't know??? If I had it to do over, I'd probably use a Criterion 16" rifle length SS barrel, or a Faxon "Gunner" 16" barrel (they have a SS "match grade" version coming soon too).

AB Arms makes a new stock. I am totally in love with this thing. I recently installed it and fell in love. When collapsed, it is set at the perfect carbine length. When it's opened up, it's the perfect prone/bench length. Mine is plenty sturdy enough to do whatever I need of it. I have no fears putting hard work to it.

20 hours ago, ARTrooper said:

Just wanted to point out something. You talked about wanting a lightweight rifle, which is all well and good but how much are you willing to spend to shed the ounces? The proof carbon and some other carbon barrels for one will give a nice lightweight barrel with great cooling properties and while still keeping a rather stiff barrel... but it comes at a cost. $940 cost if I am not mistaken for a proof carbon fiber barrel. You could get slightly heavier barrels for much cheaper. 

If you got the money to put more high end parts on your build and that's what you want, go for it. If not, keep in might you might have to compromise. 

That being said, you're building a rather short .308, not gonna be as long as your average bolt hunting rifle, so even if it is a little more weight, the weight will be closer to your core where it will be more manageable. Not to mention weight helps with recoil. 

If you want the carbon fiber barrel, maybe try https://christensenarms.com/

I mainly just wanted to point out the $ vs lightweight and other benefits with the barrel because it is the most noticeable, but it applies to most parts really.

As for other things:
Pistol grip- I like my Magpul MIAD Grips

Gas System- Keep in mind rifle length may feel nicer, but not all notice, and can make a rifle more picky with ammo which might take other tweeking then. Midlength might be the way to go for you if you shoot a lot of different loads. 

BCG- I know a while back I believe one of the site sponsors had a great deal on a nice bolt carrier group. Maybe checkout what our sponsors can offer your build, and they can usually help you out with any questions and give you a great deal. I don't think you can go wrong with JP, but it's gonna cost ya. lol.

Hand Guard- bravo company is reasonably priced and got a nice look, don't think you can go wrong if it is the style you like. Other things out there that are more simple and lighter, just not as tacticool in my opinion. :fullauto:

As far as cost vs weight. The proofs are a little pricey. Which would delay the suppressor purchase. I am trying to keep it on the light side for mobility. Plus running a 20 oz suppressor on the end of the barrel.  I was also going to check into fluted barrels. 

What are some other hand guards that are light weight.  But are also free float and will let me run a predator light for night hunting on the side occasionally and a bipod for range days. Not really concerned with the tactical look. More concerned with the weight and function. 

With my b-day and Christmas coming up I was hopping to score a lot of the little weight saving parts that can run the build cost up.  I was looking at v7 for some of there parts. Any other places that have light weight parts that you know of?

9 hours ago, jtallen83 said:

Midwest Industries have some pretty light handguards.

https://www.midwestindustriesinc.com/

Yeah, that's what I was thinking also. 

And maybe I should have clarified. Robo is right. Proof and other carbon fiber barrels aren't really "lightweight" barrels, but are lighter in weight to steel barrels of same diameter and stiffness. A pencil barrel is lighter than the thicker contour carbon fiber barrels. 

1 hour ago, shepp said:

Except now keymod is dead, ever since BCM started making MLOK.  With Noveske being just a distant memory of overpriced mill spec parts, and BCM’s changeover, I doubt we will see anybody holding on to keymod rails for much longer. Magpul is a beast, and has proven that they can lead the industry. 

2 hours ago, Robocop1051 said:

Except now keymod is dead, ever since BCM started making MLOK.  With Noveske being just a distant memory of overpriced mill spec parts, and BCM’s changeover, I doubt we will see anybody holding on to keymod rails for much longer. Magpul is a beast, and has proven that they can lead the industry. 

I don't need to hang any coats or open any beers with it son I'm good

37 minutes ago, jtallen83 said:

Wish BCM would realize keymod is dead and blowout their stock. I need a few rail sections, light attachments, and AFG's

They are in the process of realizing that, as we speak (type), brother...

Here's some of their new rails.  It's the KMR, but M-LOK instead...  BCM MCMR - M-LOK Compatible Modular Rail...

https://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-MCMR-M-LOK-MLOK-Handguard-s/227.htm

I think they'll hang onto the KMR forever, though.  Every ad you see in any gun mag says "Keymod is here!" like it's something new...

I called the death of the Keymod system several years ago, right here.  Knew it. I based it on how hard MagPul was pushing the "free licensing" of the design, and primarily on the ease of machining - M-LOK is much easier to machine, over keymod, from a CNC-programming point of view.

Who knew that M-LOK was actually stronger, and SOCOM would test and adopt M-LOK over Keymod?... 

http://www.guns.com/2017/05/15/keymod-vs-m-lok/

http://soldiersystems.net/2017/05/05/details-on-the-ussocom-sponsored-keymod-vs-m-lok-test-conducted-at-nswc-crane/

19 minutes ago, mineralman55 said:

Makes me think of "Grain Belt" beer. Is it still sold up there?

Grain belt was outta la crosse iirc, the brewery  is still there not sure what it's called these days. I was a blatz man, drank ALOT of it in college thru my 20's, also PBR before the hipsters "made it cool", Hamms too

23 hours ago, shepp said:

Grain belt was outta la crosse iirc, the brewery  is still there not sure what it's called these days. I was a blatz man, drank ALOT of it in college thru my 20's, also PBR before the hipsters "made it cool", Hamms too

My first in-depth cross country trip was our geology field camp. Drove from Pennsylvania, thru the upper Midwest, to SD, WY, ID, Montana mapping stuff all the way. We drank our way across the country and got introduced to all kinds of new and exotic (to me) beers. Hamm's, Olympia, Coors, Grain Belt. This was a long time ago, before Coors was available east of the Mississippi. Loved the first three, hated the Grain Belt. Miss those evenings around the campfire drinking beer and telling lies.

Oh, 13PTBUCK, just get a Criterion barrel. You can't go wrong.