• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

The pile of parts is slowly trickling in

AMERIKINSHIP

Barrel sighted from the living room out to 200 yards. Just waiting on those dang gauges! Tuesday it'll be 2 weeks waiting on some gauges that were in stock at Pacific Tool & Gauge shipped from Southern Oregon to Eastern Washington. I mean yeah I'm being impatient, but give me a break! I want to shoot this thing!!! :fullauto:

20171027_181432.jpg

On 10/24/2017 at 10:23 PM, 98Z5V said:

As far as I know, the only pins that fit the AP M5 setup are - Aero pins, made for it.  I have 3 of them built now, and I haven't found anything else that works.

As much as I try to avoid ebay for AR stuff, these work awesome with the AP 308 set - I'll post a pic later:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Guntec-USA-308-Extended-Take-Down-Pin-pivot-longer-featureless-addition-helper/282514112495?_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIM.MBE%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D41375%26meid%3D5027d2a3e93d49be8e24849ab0bb422c%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D5%26rkt%3D6%26mehot%3Dpp%26sd%3D282486831350&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Guntec-USA-308-Extended-Take-Down-Pin-pivot-longer-featureless-addition-helper-/152671504709?hash=item238bee4945

Over here in cali, with a "fixed mag" config ya gotta pull the takedown pin and tilt the upper open a bit to operate many of the compliant mag release devices.

@AMERIKINSHIP - Nice lookin rifle, should be a good shooter:thumbup:

Edited by guruofhotrod

My experience with:

Pacific Tool & Gauge 
.308 Winchester Headspace Gauge Set (Go / No-Go / Field) 

I gave them a call this morning and the gal I spoke to said they only had 2 out of the 3 gauges in stock. When I placed the order it was shown as in stock. I was told that couldn't be the case. Then I'm told they sent me an email 2 days after placing the order notifying me that the gauge set was backordered for 6-8 weeks.......no such email ever came. Not in the inbox, nor in the junk, trash or archive. To top it off if I want to cancel this order that was shown as in stock they want to charge me 15%.
So as I am in the process of opening my mouth to just say fine cancel it and I'll give someone else my money she says she will see if she can pull the gauges from a stocking vendor of theirs. While that is nice (I guess) I'm still kinda shaking my head that they would charge me a restocking/cancellation fee on a supposedly 'in stock' item that was never sent?

Maybe they will make good on this thing, but I have to say to anyone looking grab anything PTG definitely do not deal with them direct unless you are 2 months ahead of whatever build you are working on. What a PITA. I saw that these were in stock at other places but the cost and shipping was about the same so I figured why not get them from the source. Plus they were 1 state over. Figured shipping would be fast and I'd have these in no time, wrong.

So fair warning folks.

Just a follow up on PTG:

Their customer service leaves something to be desired. They didn't say the word liar, but the IT guys assured the gal I was talking to that the gauges were not shown in stock when I ordered them. And she didn't know what to tell me about never receiving an email. They will be charging a 15% restocking fee which "is on the website" yeah I get that. If they are that hard up to screw me over for $15 I guess they need it pretty bad. I should have done my due diligence and read a few reviews.

So moving on, I got a Forster Complete Match Headspace Gauge Set 308 Winchester coming from Midway USA! I see the light at the end of the tunnel here boys :thumbup:

Who is going to laugh when I either:

1. Do something weird and think that the chamber is out of spec.
  2. Find that the chamber is out of spec and have to send the barrel back to Proof with the bolt for some fitting.
  3. Come to realize it is perfectly placed in the sweet spot and all this was unnecessary.

:laffs:oh well, who doesn't like having tools? Next I'll be buying reamers and other nonsense.

4 hours ago, AMERIKINSHIP said:

So moving on, I got a Forster Complete Match Headspace Gauge Set 308 Winchester coming from Midway USA! I see the light at the end of the tunnel here boys :thumbup:

I have nothing but good experiences with Midway USA and Brownells, the two places I look first for everything. And with your issue with PTG, I would of laid into them over the phone until I got someone to get me what I ordered in a reasonable time or refund my money with no 15% charge. There has been times I have had to go through 8 managers till I got what I wanted. Basically just say, "can you get me what I want?... no, then transfer me to your boss." Pretty stupid to pay a restocking fee when they supposedly don't have it even in stock. lol.

39 minutes ago, ARTrooper said:

I have nothing but good experiences with Midway USA and Brownells, the two places I look first for everything. And with your issue with PTG, I would of laid into them over the phone until I got someone to get me what I ordered in a reasonable time or refund my money with no 15% charge. There has been times I have had to go through 8 managers till I got what I wanted. Basically just say, "can you get me what I want?... no, then transfer me to your boss." Pretty stupid to pay a restocking fee when they supposedly don't have it even in stock. lol.

That is a head scratcher isn't it? I was just over it though and they weren't worth any more of my time. But in the future whenever appropriate I will relay my wonderful experience with these jokers. 

I think I dodged a bullet the other day with the little woman. I handed her the 308 so she could get a feel for it and she nonchalantly yet trickily says "so do we have to buy a bunch of magazines for this?" I had saved all the mags from the Armalite AR10TAC20 so I said "no". But I'm pretty sure if I'd have said yes laser bolts would have flashed from her eyes :evil: it was scary!  

I would get in touch with your Barrel manufacturer to see what brand Head Space Gages they use to test their Barrels , they are all not made to the same spec's . You Match set may not be compatible . Its happened here before, with Match HS gages , manufacturers don't use the same HS gages & some are custom Chambers & std Gages will show different results. 

I may have this wrong but the way I understand this is there are .308 Win Specs and 7.62 Nato Specs. And they have some overlap. As long as you have the correct type gauges SAAMI vs NATO you should be able to check a chambers headspace with a match set. Especially the one I am getting as it covers the range of headspace tolerances in .001 increments. I think the difference you are talking about is that some manufacturers use different measurements for go/no-go gauges. The way I'm seeing it is if the match set has all of those included then you can see exactly where your headspace is instead of just saying it works or it doesn't. I am positive I didn't need this set, but it was on sale and I figured why not. 

So unless I am really missing something here I don't understand how the gauges aren't compatible? It is just added gauges there isn't a difference in the actual SAAMI Specs. Or have I missed something completely?

11 hours ago, AMERIKINSHIP said:

I may have this wrong but the way I understand this is there are .308 Win Specs and 7.62 Nato Specs.

There's a difference in the two chambers, but very minute.  It might cause a crazy reading if you use NATO gauges trying to read a .308 Win chamber, and vice versa.  It's not the astrononmical deal as it is with .223 Rem and 5.56 NATO.  5.56 NATO fires it all. .223 Rem will have issues, over time, if all you shoot is 5.56 NATO through it.  That .223 Rem chamber can eventually fail on you with the 5.56 NATO ammo. The primary differences between those two chambers is well documented on the web.  The 5.56 NATO basically has a longer leade, and can take more pressure because of it.  Case-wise, external dimensions are the same.  Wall thickness on 5.56 NATO is greater.  Same powder charge in .223 Rem vs. 5.56 NATO = higher chamber pressures in the 5.56 NATO brass.

Then there's .223 Wylde.  A hybrid between those two chambers.  It shoots both loadings, and it shoots 5.56 NATO with a little better accuracy - the 5.56 NATO chamber is not designed as an "accuracy" chamber.  The .223 Wylde is the hybrid chamber that does it all.

Now, after that long-a$s sermon - there IS another .308 chamber.  Some manufacturers call it a "hybrid" chamber, others call it whatever they want.  I know Fulton Armory calls it a Hybrid, and I'm pretty sure Armalite does, too.

How are standard gauges gonna work in that?   Eh, they'll pass and fail what they need to, if the situation arises. From those two manufacturers (CRiterion makes the Fulton barrels), you really don't need to worry.  I'm not saying don't check it - check everything in this platform, because there is NO standard...   This ain't .223 Rem/5.56 NATO, that actually has a pattern to follow...

The bottom line is this - .308 Win and 7.62 NATO are the opposite of the 5.56 game.  The .308 Win is the higher-pressured loading.  In modern barrel manufacturing, you don't really need to worry about what your barrel is marked, be it .308 Win or 7.62 NATO.  Modern barrels will shoot both equally well.  Don't shoot alot of .308 WIN through your old mil-surp 7.62 war memorabilia rifles, though - you'll eventually have an issue.

Thus endeth the lecture...

Edited by 98Z5V

:banana:

A late flight has caused a delay. We will update the delivery date as soon as possible. / Your delivery has been rescheduled for the next business day.

I never pay for overnight shipping and the one time I splurge for it.....argghh. No problem I needed more practice twiddling my thumbs. I  really really want to shoot this thing!

Well the gauges finally showed up. Way tighter than I expected. It'll close on a 1.632 but it's an RCH away from closing on a 1.633. Just got off the phone with Proof Research to get their blessing and they said fire away! Hopefully put a few through it tomorrow. If I can get this fricking ejector roll pin back in! And yes I had to go chase it and the spring down earlier found them both in under 3 minutes! Never pulled a bolt apart before, seems obvious now....... :laffs:

I put maybe 60 rounds through it with zero issues. Used 175gr .308 and 149gr 7.62

Pic #1 - First 3 shots out of the rifle with open sights at 100 yards

Pic #2 - Switched to the Vortex Spitfire AR at 100 yards. First two in the lower right hand corner. Adjusted and then shot the next 2.

Pic #3 - Threw the Leupold VX3 6.5-20 on and shot a group just over .75"

I think I'm not doing this barrel justice. I'm almost positive someone who is a better shot could shoot ragged holes with this thing. But to be honest I am fine with that amount of accuracy.

I moved out to 200 yards and I shot pretty dang decent with the red dot. Was getting maybe 8"-12" groups. I don't know what happened after that I went back to the VX3 and it was ugly like 4"-6" group. I'm gonna chalk it up to getting snowed on with a little bit of a sore shoulder from a new rifle and being rusty as hell. I think I've shot right around 100 rifle rounds at 200 yards and under in the last few years.

100 yard range is nice and covered with sand bags rests. The 200 yard range is out in the open and I was laying prone with a bag full of ammo as my rest. So thats my story. I have no idea when I'll shoot it again but overall I'm happy. I'm pretty much tickled with that Vortex. Both optics held zero after removal and reinstallation. Leupold has a QD ADM and the Vortex has a Midwest Ind. QD.

20171103_174218.jpg

20171103_174253.jpg

20171103_174307.jpg

Edited by AMERIKINSHIP