• Visit EuroOptic
  • Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

6.5 creedmoor issue...I cant the get the gas on my new 22+2 rainier arms barrel dialed in.

Navistar82

7 minutes ago, Navistar82 said:

The bolt was disassembled and cleaned right before this shooting session, the whole gun had been cleaned.

Starting sound like its the Buffer system & how its set up .     Venders are more interested in getting the Frame size clarified then specific Models or Manufacturers . This shouldn't be .

From what I've gather about port size and caliber on this board, 0.100" always seems to get it done, no matter what barrel length, caliber, whatever.

I'm not saying drill it to that, right away.  Find out what you have first, let us know, and go up in every single drill-size increment from there (what you have)...

Just what I've seen...  

^^^That's in the barrel.  Port size on the gasblock should always be 0.125".  That's the max.  It's the max size you can drill in a gas tube, which means it's the max size you can have in a gas block, and the max in a barrel.  It doesn't go any higher than that - because of the gas tube diameter, and the max hole you can drill in it.

Edited by 98Z5V

1 minute ago, 98Z5V said:

From what I've gather about port size and caliber on this board, 0.100" always seems to get it done, no matter what barrel length, caliber, whatever.

I'm not saying drill it to that, right away.  Find out what you have first, let us know, and go up in every single drill-size increment from there (what you have)...

Just what I've seen...  

Are you referring to the block or the barrel port size? I was asking about the gas block so i know what im looking for. 

Just now, Navistar82 said:

Are you referring to the block or the barrel port size? I was asking about the gas block so i know what im looking for. 

barrel - I didn't realize you were talking about the block until I posted. I posted about the block, above.  0.125", max. Ever.

Got the armalite spring today, I plan on shooting Monday.

I gotta say it will blow my mind if an $11 spring that is a couple inches longer and a few more coils is going to solve my problem.

Im not questioning anyone, its just crazy the problems I've had and this has been my issue. 

I've got a lot to learn still. 

Thanks to all that helped!

I’m looking forward to your results.  I’ve had similar problems with an AP upper and lower.  Some of my brass and bullets looked a lot like yours.  If it turns out not to be the spring, the Doctors on this site, will figure it out.  It could be a combination of things, but hopefully just the spring.

57 minutes ago, Inthebushes said:

I’m looking forward to your results.  I’ve had similar problems with an AP upper and lower.  Some of my brass and bullets looked a lot like yours.  If it turns out not to be the spring, the Doctors on this site, will figure it out.  It could be a combination of things, but hopefully just the spring.

No kidding on the doctors. This is easily the best forum I've been.

4 hours ago, Navistar82 said:

Got the armalite spring today, I plan on shooting Monday.

I gotta say it will blow my mind if an $11 spring that is a couple inches longer and a few more coils is going to solve my problem.

Im not questioning anyone, its just crazy the problems I've had and this has been my issue. 

I've got a lot to learn still. 

Thanks to all that helped!

Nav     its one of the most common problems on why a big frame AR wont cycle...no crap  lol        :thumbup:   Wash

Shot today with no brass destroying. I didn't change my gas block bacause i wanted to see if it was just the spring. The first 3 shots did what it shows in the photo, that was with the gas block in full open position like a standard gas block. 

I finally got it cycling properly by opening the block all the way to full gas/bleed off, kicking shells in the 1-2 o clock area.  But its cycling properly so im done messing with it. 

Side note, does bullet weight effect cycling? Seemed the 140 federal fusion cycled better then the 129 interlock.

Thanks to all that helped and getting me on the right track.

20171030_085850-2016x1512.jpg

Try backing the gas block down a bit. Like, all the way down. One click (or, say, 1/4 turn -- can't remember how the Superlative GB is set up...) up at a time until it functions flawlessly and leave brass anywhere from 3 o'clock to about 4:30.

In my experience, ejection forward of 3 o'clock indicates either over-gassed or too light on the buffer/spring combo. Since your buffer is correct, and you now have the correct spring, the only other thing to do is reduce the gas that makes it to the BCG.

I’m no doctor, but if 140 cycles better than 129, I would say 150s would be moving in the right direction.  Jump to some 175s and see where they go.  I shoot a lot of different weight bullets and they eject all over the place.  I usually set my gas to throw around 3 o’clock, but if I change something like bullet, weight, or charge, and it still functions, I don’t worry about it.  You might have to give it some more air if you get too light.  I usually use one of the little brass catcher thingys, so if the bolt locks back and the bag is full, all is good.