• Visit EuroOptic
  • Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

PSA PA10 GenII lower with PA-65 , 6.5CM 20" rifle length gas upper review.... PSA Nailed it !!

bfoosh006

I am just sitting down to dinner.... but, just a brief preview of the better groups.... ( I will edit this post later, with considerably more info )

100yds, benched, scoped, bagged front, wedge bag rear.... 5rds each.... PSA factory 20" barrel, SLR adjustable gas block, Lantac Dragon .30cal brake.

Please bear in mind.... this is from an AR platform, yes.. IMHO, a bolt action would have most likely been more accurate....

BUT, from a $500 complete upper, I consider these groups to be outstanding

Nosler 140gr HPBT
IMG_2685_JPG-360077.jpg

Federal AE 140gr
IMG_2694_JPG-360078.jpg

Hornady 120gr ELD
IMG_2703_JPG-360119.jpg

SIG 140gr OTM

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some of the details....

2 things I have to mention first.... The PA65 arrived missing the "slotted key" used to secure the free float tube to the barrel nut ... not a problem as I borrowed one from another PSA .308 upper.

Next, I didn't receive the "High pressure/ small diameter firing pin bolt" , instead it arrived with a .308 bolt and firing pin..... BUT !! I had NO issues using the .308 bolt and .308 firing pin....none , no pressure signs... nothing.

I contacted PSA concerning both issues and Fred is sending me all the correct parts !!! WHO says PSA CS can be troublesome !!! .... NOT me !
IMHO, PSA is correcting the issues as good as anyone could !!

Onward to the good stuff !

Details on the rifle as it is currently setup...

Upper.... PA65 OEM complete upper, 20", rifle length gas, SLR .750 clamp on gas block, Lantac .30cal muzzle brake, Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50
The .30cal brake seemed to work good enough... well enough that I won't bother to buy a 6.5 brake.

I mildly polished the feed ramps, and slightly polished the chamber with 0000 steelwool spun on a .30/06 chamber brush via a drill. NOTE: not a AR chamber brush...but one used for a .30/06 bolt action rifle.

Lower.... The same setup I used in my .308 PSA rifle as seen in the other thread.... PSA "Multi" marked lower, LaRue MBT trigger, Magpul 1.1 grip, KAK 9.3oz .308 rifle length buffer, and a Tubbs .308 Flatwire spring.

I will add... the lower has been polished at the full length inside of the buffer tube, magwell burnished, trigger face slightly polished.

I also use Varmint Lights " X-Shims" to minimize the play between the upper and lower. I am one of those guys that believes it makes the firing the rifle accurately "easier" and more consistent in my shooting stance at the bench.

I am happy to say, there was no interference from the barrel nut against the gas tube... the charging handle did not bind as a result.

Frankly.... the whole upper was a trouble free affair... after changing parts ( that I wanted ... SLR , muzzle brake ) it was a plug and play deal.

I fired it first with the SLR wide open... just to see how it was, It certainly recoiled less then the PSA .308 upper... but was certainly gassing more then needed.
I adjusted the SLR to 5 clicks from closed... and was GTG with all the ammo tested.
No hiccups, no sluggishness, and as mentioned before no signs of pressure issues.... the abrupt cyclic speed is now gone...

I tried the Magpul 20rd, and 10rd mags, the Lancer 20rd, the IMI 20rd, and the D&H 20rd and 10rd mags.... all performed as meant to.
oddly, my .308 doesn't "enjoy" the Lancer 20rd for some reason the BCG seems to drag with it.... no such issue with the 6.5 upper.... can tell the Lancer spring is strong, but in the 6.5 the Lancer never once was sluggish cycling.

Factory Ammo....

As you will see... the PSA 6.5CM barrel had its likes and dislikes accuracy wise... perfectly normal.
For the most part, and given its price point... I think the barrel performed very well.

Onto the accuracy photos....

I didn't fire a bunch of 5rd groups of each ammo, just 2ea 5rd groups...showing the best of the 2.... the reason being, I will retest later after I true up the receiver face and Loctite the barrel into the receiver.
I am hoping that will help with the overall consistency of the different ammos.... and help clean up the dreaded cold bore flyer, as well as some of the other fliers.

Did I mention how happy I am with this upper !!

So.... as you all can see and IMHO... PSA can make a perfectly good 6.5CM upper.

Buy one and enjoy it.

I will post back after I have completed the receiver face truing and Loctite'd barrel .... hopefully the weather will allow chronographing as well.
*Hold on to your AR-15s. Their magic must be very powerful, or they wouldn’t want them.*

17 hours ago, unforgiven said:

I love PSA AR 15 line up, but the venture into the larger platform had a lot of problems. The  PSA 10 guys did a damn good job of making the rifle run..:thumbup:..lets see how long they will run.

I think bfoosh006 has done the most extensive work on the PA10 platform so far. I'm on a lot of gun boards, and his work has been the best on it. And, in my experience with my rifle, he is spot on. Once I made a few tweaks to my PA10 it's running how I like it. Out of the box it came way over gassed, and the bolt carrier was out of time just a bit putting marks on the receiver. However, it shot everything I put into it. I think over time, as with any new model of anything, it'll get better and better.

4 hours ago, mley1 said:

I think bfoosh006 has done the most extensive work on the PA10 platform so far. I'm on a lot of gun boards, and his work has been the best on it. And, in my experience with my rifle, he is spot on. Once I made a few tweaks to my PA10 it's running how I like it. Out of the box it came way over gassed, and the bolt carrier was out of time just a bit putting marks on the receiver. However, it shot everything I put into it. I think over time, as with any new model of anything, it'll get better and better.

I appreciate the encouraging words !! thank You !!

I have to ask... are all the photos showing for you guys ?

They are not for me.. just two.

If I need to repost the accuracy photos ( I can't be the only guy not seeing them ) I will.

all good on my phone..

it has been brought to my attention (98 deduced)  that the buffer tube pa10 provides resembles the armalite length, thus requireing armalite buffer and spring..

13 hours ago, mley1 said:

food for thought,  as i was making marks on the reciver.

Yep.  The bottom of that 308 carbine receiver extension was clearly laser marked PSA PA-10.  Sketch was having some running issues with his 308AR, and I tore that sucker down...  sure enough - 7 5/8" internal depth to that tube - actually, a little more than that. Run the Armalite recoil components in sketch's gun and guess what...  ran a hell of alot better.  Still have to stack 2 or 3 quarters in the tube first, just to prevent the BCG from over running the bolt stop...

PA-10 owners - if you run their 308AR carbine receiver extension...  I'd just throw that thing in the trash and start with something known.  Don't chase running problems of smashed equipment...

My $0.02...