• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Rifle vs mid length

C Funnk

Planning parts for a build and I realize the most important parts are barrel and trigger. Was gonna go with a WC barrel(mid-length gas system), then saw that Falkor has a 16 inch with rifle length gas(only one I've came across so far). Any benefits to the rifle length vs mid or should I just flip a coin.

id agree trigger and barrel are definitely the top two concerns. Criterion also makes a rifle 16" as well as a couple others (rainier, CMMG) If the manufacturer didnt get the gas port right it may run poorly. My Criterion runs flawless on anything. In theory it should be a smoother recoil impulse.  Mine feels nice but I built it this way mostly for aesthetic reasons and I doubt its significantly different from the same barrel in mid length. 

I guess theres always a Dik in the group...Hey it aint me....all of my builds are middy except the GI correct rifles...I like the middy on 308's cause the gb is under the rail and you have more choices of which rail....any difference in perceived recoil can be handled with a adj gas block or a heavier buffer or a better spring or a combo of all.... and a rifle length gas system is just plain GAY   :lmao:

Wash

57 minutes ago, washguy said:

I guess theres always a Dik in the group...Hey it aint me....all of my builds are middy except the GI correct rifles...I like the middy on 308's cause the gb is under the rail and you have more choices of which rail....any difference in perceived recoil can be handled with a adj gas block or a heavier buffer or a better spring or a combo of all.... and a rifle length gas system is just plain GAY   :lmao:

Wash

Too funny!!!:laffs:

Sorry for the crazies getting out, we just can't keep them in their cages. 

On ‎11‎/‎13‎/‎2017 at 9:27 PM, C Funnk said:

Planning parts for a build and I realize the most important parts are barrel and trigger. Was gonna go with a WC barrel(mid-length gas system), then saw that Falkor has a 16 inch with rifle length gas(only one I've came across so far). Any benefits to the rifle length vs mid or should I just flip a coin.

between mid and rifle length systems, I would say most people can't feel the difference. but also with the tried and true .308, you shouldn't have any problems with functioning of the rifle with either gas length (if it is built and tuned in correctly). I would have to agree with Wash (can't believe I said that out loud) on building the length for the rail you are using. But if you plan on going with a more exotic caliber and 16 in barrel, you might want to try a mid length system. 

We have talked about this before. Here is one thread and another resource to read through.

https://www.shootingillustrated.com/articles/2014/9/24/ar-gas-system-lengths-explained/

And I know we have discussed it in different threads also.

On 11/14/2017 at 3:20 PM, blue109 said:

Adjustable gas blocks and funky buffer/spring combos are for dudes who cant build functioning rifles the first time around...

Oh snap....

No he didnt......

Yes he did.....

YES!   :laffs:  Don't complicate shiit with complicated shiit.  Build a functional, simple rifle FIRST. 

IF you find you need something fancy, because your rifle function is lacking, THEN you add the "complicated shiit."

Almost all of the time, that complicated shiit is not even close to being "necessary," in the least.

1 minute ago, washguy said:

A hole in the top of a barrel....a spring.....and a buffer aint complicated $hit..... :fullauto:   Wash

You're too late brother, Tom has already enabled his incoherent babbling....

Just wait it out, they'll both end up having to solve some issue with an aftermarket solution, and that's when we'll crush them to bits.

:banana:

22 minutes ago, Matt.Cross said:

You're too late brother, Tom has already enabled his incoherent babbling....

Just wait it out, they'll both end up having to solve some issue with an aftermarket solution, and that's when we'll crush them to bits.

:banana:

Ill watch your 6 if you will watch mine?  You might know, but I never know what direction he's gonna come from :laffs:    Wash

for a limited time every slash heavy whatzajigger and JP low mass whosawhatzit  combo kit (ga-ran-teed to be bettah than stock either way you go for triple the price)  comes with an adhesive backed operator beard and a membership to AR15.com where everyone will agree you need either a heavier or maybe a lighter fancy part.

Pewpew

Edited by blue109

I will say this - Slash heavybuffers are worth it.    Sprinco springs are worth it.

All the adjustable gas this-that...  use a standard gas block first.  If your shiit don't feed, and it's a gas issue, an adjustable gas block isn't gonna help the fact that your gas port in your barrel was drilled too damn small - by the barrel maker.  An adjustable gas block CAN help you if your gas port was drilled too large, and the excessive force is kicking the shiit out of your rifle parts.  Not usually the case, though.   Unnecessary, 99% of the time. If the excessive recoil is kicking the shiit out of YOU...  then you picked the wrong hobby...

Springs.  REAL springs, and heavy duty springs - those are worth it, in alot of cases. Sprinco springs are awesome, completely the real deal. They're not low-mass this, and twang-reducing that.  They just work.

All that low mass shiit and silent-captured shiit was brought to reality by the gamer and 3-gun crowd.  You can dump a BUNCH of money into shiit you don't need, reducing weight in your carrier, then the spring system (to compensate for the light carrier), and everything else.   Alot of times, you need MORE weight in your carrier...

Don't even get me going on hydraulic buffers. If it's "hydraulic," it contains fluid, and it if contains fluid, it will eventually LEAK.  WTF you gonna do then, when your fancy buffer isn't "buffering" anymore?...  Yeah...  Should'a had a solid, conventional buffer, and you wouldn't be going through this right now...  :thumbup:

You guys aren't out there making money in your Heavy Metal 3-Gun division, getting paid by your massive amount of sponsors, based on how fast you shot that last course, and what your national standings are for this season/year.  You're not.

When you hear that "TWANG" from your buffer spring - it means your BCG just locked back.  On the last round.  You're empty.

Reload.

That's when you'll hear it.  If it really bothers you, hearing a "twang," then I'm glad you never enlisted and had to suffer through all the years of rifle qual - cause you'da gone PTSD hearing it, on the qual range.  If it's that bad, then it woulda had that effect on you, in those conditions.  Drive ya nuts, it woulda.

Adjustable gas blocks serve ONE purpose.  ONE.  Suppressed firing.  Oh, and unsuppressed firing, on the same weapon.  That's the only purpose they serve.  If your gun shoots unsuppressed, it WILL shoot with a suppressor hanging off the end of it - there's no other way around it.  Depending on your gas port size in your barrel - you might get alotta gas back in the face when that suppressor is on there.  You might beat the internal components of your weapon up (upper receiver components) when you run your suppressor - and a standard gas block.

With an adjustable gas block, you can cut that gas down, suppressed.  Okay, I get it.

How many military-issued Mk18s have an adjustable gas block, as issued?... 

Don't complicate shiit with complicated shiit.  Build a functional rifle.  Build a SIMPLE, functional rifle.  GO afterthe crazy shiit later, when you still don't need it, but want to spend more money. 

Don't START your build with a bunch of bullshiit you don't need...   :thumbup:

Edited by 98Z5V

I'm LMAO over here...

:laffs::lmao:

Ya'll some cranky 'ol bastards! 

"Gawdamnit! Back in my day we didn't have all this uppitty fancy modern to-do and get-up on our match-locks! You had to light the dang fuse and keep your sights on target until the gun went off when it darn well pleased. Why, I remember when 'ol Bobby Hager got tard of trying to hold steady and when he rested the buttstock on his upper thigh to take a breather, why that ol' firestick belched thunder & lightnin' and castrated him clean as a whistle! Yes sir, why back in the day...."

I look forward to the next multi page troubleshooting thread

"Welp, all I did was added a to-do and 2 get-ups to my flawlessly functioning firearm and now the durn thing dont work?????

But my build sheet gets way more likes now!

LOOK WHAT YOU DID C FUNK!

Edited by blue109