• Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Building a CSASS for the Wife...

COBrien

On 11/1/2018 at 10:12 PM, 98Z5V said:

Good looking barrel!   One comment, though - don't install a barrel nut dry,  like what was just suggested to you.  Don't.  I'm not an AeroShell MS33 Grease snob - any grease will do.  Just don't install it dry.  I use Bel-Ray Waterproof Grease - because I use that crazy shiit all the time at work, and always have it on hand.

I cringed a bit when he told me to torque it down dry... I’ve got some Aeroshell (got it cheap), and will apply it just as I have on previous rifles. 

The way SLR’s handguard mount, I don’t see any way for the barrel nut to loosen (assuming that’s why he’d recommend dry torque). Handguard clamps to nut with 2 clamp screws, plus an anti-rotation insert over the gas tube. She ain’t goin nowhere. 

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You need to mate barrel nut threads with upper receiver threads - thread mating, on two separate parts, usually of two different materials. You NEVER do that with dry threads, because you'll gall the fuk out of them, and they'll seize.    Even if it's the SAME material, its never, ever good - I've galled enough stainless-only and aluminum-only hardware to tell you that's the truth.

I'm shocked that dude even said that - he needs slapped, and I'll say that publicly...  What a dumbass...   :bitchslap:

FOr barrel nuts - if you've never heard this yet- you don't tighten it and forget it.  Torque it once, WITH GREASE,  loosen it. Hit again for #2, and loosen it, hit it again for #3, and SET IT. You do this THREE TIMES before you set it down to torque... :thumbup:

2 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

FOr barrel nuts - if you've never heard this yet- you don't tighten it and forget it.  Torque it once, WITH GREASE,  loosen it. Hit again for #2, and loosen it, hit it again for #3, and SET IT. You do this THREE TIMES before you set it down to torque... :thumbup:

Oh yeah, that’s AR building 101, brother.

The only reason I was even attempting to thread the barrel nut on the upper was for purposes of mocking it up to get an idea of what it was going to look like with the handguard and upper together. No barrel, no grease, just trying to run it down finger-right to familiarize myself with the parts (first SLR handguard for me, unique hardware).

So, uhh... The rifle fairies that live in my garage found all those parts in my Jeep and put them together for me overnight.

Or, at least, that's the story I'm telling.

I got the two barrel nuts SLR sent me. Happily, one of them threaded on -- dry, by hand -- without complaint. So a little AeroShell 33 on the upper, install the barrel, and she torqued right down. 35 ft-lbs (SLR's torque spec for their barrel nuts) twice, then back to 35 ft-lbs. to lock it down.

Fortunately, with SLR's barrel nuts, there's no need to "torque and test" with a gas tube. It's a Ron Popeil setup. The handguard top rail doesn't exactly match the upper's rail, height-wise. I didn't put calipers on it, but it feels like just a couple thousandths of difference.

Gibbz upper works just as advertised, with their special cam pin installed. I'm really digging this setup.

No optics mounted yet, that will have to wait until tonight. Also no muzzle brake installed, it's on its way from OpticsPlanet.

Pics forthcoming, as soon as I can get a free 10 minutes at work.

That is such a GREAT stock. It's too bad they discontinued that version. Their "new" version doesn't do it for me like this one did.

Version 1.0ABAUSSDE-2T.png?1534766136 Version 2.0ABAUSSXDE-2T.png

• No more spring inside. The pad is adjusted and locked into position with a pin.
  • They literally flipped the buttpad upside down, making it unwieldy.

The owner stated that they had a few buttpads beak at the adjustment stem. They should have just made that part in aluminum. It seems like this was the least expensive consolation they could come up with without changing all their designs. It's really too bad. Phenominal v1.0

The new Luth-AR MBA-3 has my current interest..

arr-089-001_1.tif&wid=575&cvt=jpeg

If MFT gets their shit together on an adjustable cheek riser for their Minimalist stock, that'll be AWESOME.

mft-cheek-riser-575x314.png?resize=575,3

1 hour ago, Robocop1051 said:

If MFT gets their poop together on an adjustable cheek riser for their Minimalist stock, that'll be AWESOME.

mft-cheek-riser-575x314.png?resize=575,3

I'd buy that in a heartbeat! I love the Minimalist I ran on the wife's patrol rifle. Lightweight and simple.

I like the USS, but a more rapidly-adjustable LOP (not just the 1.25" or so that's spring-loaded) would be nice. Not everyone who shoots my rifles needs -- or wants -- my LOP, so having to get out a tool to adjust (or just "make do") is going to be a bit of a PITA.

Also, it turns out using correct-height rings to mount a scope means an adjustable cheek riser is pretty much unnecessary. In those pics, I have the riser adjusted as needed. It's barely 1/4" above its lowest adjustment.

• 7 months later...

Alright, gents. Yesterday was finally this old girl's first day out. It was a resounding failure.

Loaded one (1) round of Winchester XM80C into a PMAG to test whether or not we had enough gas to lock the bolt back. Insert mag, pull back charging handle, and let the BCG fly home. Pull the trigger, and just a click. Drop mag, attempt to clear round -- we're locked up. Had to mortar the rifle to eject the live round, which did have a light primer strike.

Remove BCG and check her out. She's bone dry -- dammit. Lubed liberally with Mobil 1 15W-50, wiped off bolt face, and tried again. Same result. Had to mortar it out.

Tried some Fiocchi FMJs, same story.

Tried some FGMM, same story.

Tried some foreign crap my buddy had on hand -- same story.

I took a look inside, and, with a round chambered, it doesn't appear the bolt is fully locking into battery.

I'm a bit stumped, as Next Level test-fired this BCG before sending it back to me. I'm running a Criterion barrel, and (as far as I can remember...it's been several months...), she passed Go/NoGo for headspace.

Anybody have any other ideas?

Just an idea from left field, make sure that the "ejector(s)" will depress if you push on them ??

Not based on any experience of issues with ejectors...just thinking about what could cause it to not go into battery now.

Extractor would not have a grip on the case if the ejector was stuck tho.

Bill

Edited by willbird

53 minutes ago, COBrien said:

I'm a bit stumped, as Next Level test-fired this BCG before sending it back to me. I'm running a Criterion barrel, and (as far as I can remember...it's been several months...), she passed Go/NoGo for headspace.

Anybody have any other ideas?

Get a pic up here of the firing pin, laying on a tape measure.

Can you insert one of these live rounds into the chamber, by hand?  Just into the chamber (barrel) and it fully seats in there?  No BCG in there, just the upper receiver by itself.

Edited by 98Z5V

1 hour ago, 98Z5V said:

Get a pic up here of the firing pin, laying on a tape measure.

Can you insert one of these live rounds into the chamber, by hand?  Just into the chamber (barrel) and it fully seats in there?  No BCG in there, just the upper receiver by itself.

I don't suspect the firing pin here, but, in the interest of being thorough, I'll post that up this weekend.

I just realized that I forgot to mention... With a live round chambered (with or without dropping the hammer on it...), the BCG sits just far enough back that the upper cannot be hinged open from the lower. Hence the mortaring.

I'm going to re-check the headspace this weekend also, and I'll attempt to drop a live round into the chamber.

My main suspect right now is a burr in the chamber (coming from a decade of Mini-14 troubleshooting experience). Surely a Criterion chamber wouldn't be that tight, right?

Also mulling over the thought of of a slightly-too-long gas tube. It's an SLR AR-15 rifle length tube, and Criterion's .308 barrels (excepting those made specifically for Fulton Armory) have AR-15 gas port locations, so the chances of this being an issue are slim, IMO.

I have no issues cycling the action by hand without live rounds present. No catching, no stiffness, nothing that would suggest a problem. So this has to be bolt face or chamber-related. Right?

It seems like there's something keeping that BCG from fully seating, and the bolt from locking in.  Most of the time, that's chamber depth, or ammo. 

Grab a pic of that gas tube protrusion into the upper receiver, as well.  It should end directly in the center of the cam pin cutout.

18 minutes ago, 98Z5V said:

It seems like there's something keeping that BCG from fully seating, and the bolt from locking in.  Most of the time, that's chamber depth, or ammo. 

Grab a pic of that gas tube protrusion into the upper receiver, as well.  It should end directly in the center of the cam pin cutout.

I vote misaligned gas tube. it happens to the best of us sometimes. 

• 2 weeks later...

Alright, gents, I did some lookin’ tonight. Gas tube is precisely where she should be, and shows no signs of strikes or wear. (1st pic)

Live round would NOT drop into chamber by gravity alone. Could be pushed into chamber, but would not come out without persuasion from muzzle. (2nd pic)

Looked down the bore, and it was FILTHY. Decided to clean chamber and bore. Live round will now drop in and drop free using only gravity. (3rd pic)

Didn’t tear the BCG down tonight. Momma was sleeping with the baby, and my bag o’ tools is on top of the safe in the bedroom. Makes lotsa noise on its way down.

6C4639CC-A365-41D1-8D55-0F8D08172B10.jpeg

425CE1DC-2D09-4DBA-8EA0-5247167211DE.jpeg

30218FB2-EAF5-48D2-AB95-4EBFC7D2B230.jpeg

42 minutes ago, 98Z5V said:

Dirty gun.  Needed to be cleaned.  That's my take-away, but what am I missing?

Damn dirty, considering the sumbitch has still never been fired... 

I’ll do some more investigating tomorrow night, and I’ll get that firing pin pic up for you. 

@98Z5V, I still haven't had an opportunity to get out to the garage and tear down the BCG (meant to last night, but apparently my sleep deficit got the better of me...). I get the feeling you still suspect there's another issue.

What are you thinking on this, given the gas tube alignment and that cleaning the chamber allows a round to drop in (and out) freely?

5 hours ago, COBrien said:

@Robocop1051, I know you've had your plate full, but did you ever make any headway on an adjustable cheekpiece for a MFT Minimalist? I've got one lying around and keep thinking about your new proposed product...

I talked to MFT at SHOT and they say they ditched the project. 

I’ve been using the MFT Battlelink Utility stocks, just so I can use the cheek riser.  The weight difference is not too far off.