• Visit
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Aero Precision
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Faxon
COBrien

Building a CSASS for the Wife...

On 11/1/2018 at 10:12 PM, 98Z5V said:

Good looking barrel!   One comment, though - don't install a barrel nut dry,  like what was just suggested to you.  Don't.  I'm not an AeroShell MS33 Grease snob - any grease will do.  Just don't install it dry.  I use Bel-Ray Waterproof Grease - because I use that crazy shiit all the time at work, and always have it on hand.

I cringed a bit when he told me to torque it down dry... I’ve got some Aeroshell (got it cheap), and will apply it just as I have on previous rifles. 

The way SLR’s handguard mount, I don’t see any way for the barrel nut to loosen (assuming that’s why he’d recommend dry torque). Handguard clamps to nut with 2 clamp screws, plus an anti-rotation insert over the gas tube. She ain’t goin nowhere. 

You need to mate barrel nut threads with upper receiver threads - thread mating, on two separate parts, usually of two different materials. You NEVER do that with dry threads, because you'll gall the fuk out of them, and they'll seize.    Even if it's the SAME material, its never, ever good - I've galled enough stainless-only and aluminum-only hardware to tell you that's the truth.

I'm shocked that dude even said that - he needs slapped, and I'll say that publicly...  What a dumbass...   :bitchslap:

FOr barrel nuts - if you've never heard this yet- you don't tighten it and forget it.  Torque it once, WITH GREASE,  loosen it. Hit again for #2, and loosen it, hit it again for #3, and SET IT. You do this THREE TIMES before you set it down to torque... :thumbup:

2 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

FOr barrel nuts - if you've never heard this yet- you don't tighten it and forget it.  Torque it once, WITH GREASE,  loosen it. Hit again for #2, and loosen it, hit it again for #3, and SET IT. You do this THREE TIMES before you set it down to torque... :thumbup:

Oh yeah, that’s AR building 101, brother.

The only reason I was even attempting to thread the barrel nut on the upper was for purposes of mocking it up to get an idea of what it was going to look like with the handguard and upper together. No barrel, no grease, just trying to run it down finger-right to familiarize myself with the parts (first SLR handguard for me, unique hardware).

I still can't believe that dude told you to mock one up - then install another one DRY... That's crazy...   :soap:

So, uhh... The rifle fairies that live in my garage found all those parts in my Jeep and put them together for me overnight.

Or, at least, that's the story I'm telling.

I got the two barrel nuts SLR sent me. Happily, one of them threaded on -- dry, by hand -- without complaint. So a little AeroShell 33 on the upper, install the barrel, and she torqued right down. 35 ft-lbs (SLR's torque spec for their barrel nuts) twice, then back to 35 ft-lbs. to lock it down.

Fortunately, with SLR's barrel nuts, there's no need to "torque and test" with a gas tube. It's a Ron Popeil setup. The handguard top rail doesn't exactly match the upper's rail, height-wise. I didn't put calipers on it, but it feels like just a couple thousandths of difference.

Gibbz upper works just as advertised, with their special cam pin installed. I'm really digging this setup.

No optics mounted yet, that will have to wait until tonight. Also no muzzle brake installed, it's on its way from OpticsPlanet.

Pics forthcoming, as soon as I can get a free 10 minutes at work.

That is such a GREAT stock. It's too bad they discontinued that version. Their "new" version doesn't do it for me like this one did.

Version 1.0ABAUSSDE-2T.png?1534766136 Version 2.0ABAUSSXDE-2T.png

• No more spring inside. The pad is adjusted and locked into position with a pin.
  • They literally flipped the buttpad upside down, making it unwieldy.

The owner stated that they had a few buttpads beak at the adjustment stem. They should have just made that part in aluminum. It seems like this was the least expensive consolation they could come up with without changing all their designs. It's really too bad. Phenominal v1.0

The new Luth-AR MBA-3 has my current interest..

arr-089-001_1.tif&wid=575&cvt=jpeg

If MFT gets their shit together on an adjustable cheek riser for their Minimalist stock, that'll be AWESOME.

mft-cheek-riser-575x314.png?resize=575,3

1 hour ago, Robocop1051 said:

If MFT gets their poop together on an adjustable cheek riser for their Minimalist stock, that'll be AWESOME.

mft-cheek-riser-575x314.png?resize=575,3

I'd buy that in a heartbeat! I love the Minimalist I ran on the wife's patrol rifle. Lightweight and simple.

I like the USS, but a more rapidly-adjustable LOP (not just the 1.25" or so that's spring-loaded) would be nice. Not everyone who shoots my rifles needs -- or wants -- my LOP, so having to get out a tool to adjust (or just "make do") is going to be a bit of a PITA.

Also, it turns out using correct-height rings to mount a scope means an adjustable cheek riser is pretty much unnecessary. In those pics, I have the riser adjusted as needed. It's barely 1/4" above its lowest adjustment.