• Visit Sportsmans Guide

Building a 5.56 Patrol Carbine for the Wife

COBrien

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

It’s been awhile, so I figured I’d update this thread. 

I assembled the lower, sans buffer, spring, tube, and stock. I put in an MBT I had lying around, with the 4.5# spring.

Now I just need her to decide on barrel length (which may affect gas tube length...), handguard, and buttstock. And maybe a pistol grip — I threw on the FA A2 from the LPK just to keep shiit in place. 

I’ve decided, if she wants an SBR, I’ll Form 1 this lower. She won’t carry the trust-owned lower, she’ll carry a LESO M16A2 lower with the SBR upper on it. 

But, should she decide to change professions at some point, I’d have a registered lower on hand to keep us legal. 

Edited by COBrien
Clarity

• 1 month later...

Alright, I got tired of waiting for her to decide. So I'm going to build it the way I'd originally planned. If she decides she wants to change anything, I'll gladly change it.

If she decides she wants an SBR, I'll build her another upper.

Here's the breakdown so far:

FA Lower, FA LPK, LaRue MBT (w/ 4.5# spring), FA Mil-spec RE, MFT Minimalist, MagPul MOE or MOE K2 grip

FA complete Upper, Criterion 16" Hybrid Mid-Gas, Troy SOCC 12.5" M-Lok HG, PSA Nitride BCG, FA micro clamp gas block, SLR nitride gas tube (eventually...), and a BRT Covert Comp.

I just hope she likes it...

Welp... It’s done. Except the gas tube. Important, I know, but I’ve been told by SLR that it should be shipping out next week.

Fortunately, the SOCC handguard is easy enough to remove and not LocTited in place at this point. 

First impression: This MFT Minimalist is really stuff to adjust. I’d imagine it will ease up over time, but man! Also, the SOCC handguard is much narrower on the rifle than in the box. 

E37A92E4-D8F8-4981-8362-3FB5CA7CA20E.jpeg

Thanks for the kind words, fellas!

As much as I'd wanted to wait for the SLR gas tube to arrive, I wanted even more to get this rifle in running condition.

So I ordered a WMD nitride gas tube from Primary Arms, and it was delivered Sunday.

I went to install the gas tube and, much to my dismay, my barrel nut was not aligned as well as I'd thought it was -- 1/2" off at the end of the gas tube -- definitely enough to not want to force it.

I fought that barrel nut for an hour or more the other night. It was just a hair off at 35 ft-lbs., and I couldn't get to the next hole by 80 ft-lbs. A touch more torque and it would've been there. A touch less than 30 ft-lbs. and it would have been perfect. I thought I had it, but no dice.

Fortunately, my receiver lapping tool and 600-grit lapping compound arrived from Brownell's on Saturday. A couple of passes with the lapping tool, and she was dead-nuts at 73 ft-lbs.

Also, I'm glad I ended up with a couple of extra gas tube roll pins. I FUBARed two of them right out of the gate. Then I FUBARed my roll pin punch (cheap Wheeler Delta set) installing the third one correctly.

Time for better tools!

The rifle is all together, except sights. Ordered her some ScalarWorks Peak sights from OpticsPlanet, using a 7% off coupon code I got for reviewing some products. OP says they should ship within 7-18 days. I'll update this thread once I have them in hand.

Edited by COBrien

I have the BROWNELLS roll pin starter set and punches. They are easily 25+ years old. They were hand-me-downs from my father when he was a dept armorer. I’ve been using them for at least 10 years. 

The only one I ever broke was the funky shaped bolt catch punch... I dropped it on the shop floor and the tip shattered. I hate that fuckin pin! I refused to buy another... until I needed it again... then promptly ordered it with expedited shipping. GAWDAMIT!!!

It's hard to tell -- she's not the excitable type. But she did tell all her coworkers about it when they came over Saturday evening for a cookout, so that should say something. Lol!

I think she still secretly wants an SBR, but I'll let her decide that when she quals with this rifle.

As an aside, you should have seen the neighbors Saturday evening. 6 POVs in the driveway, plus 4 marked units  -- including a K9 unit -- idling at the curb (the guys who were on shift stopped by for hot links and burgers...). I got no fewer than 5 phone calls yesterday asking what was going on. "Oh, not much, just had some folks over for a cookout and Cards Against Humanity. Why?"

8 minutes ago, COBrien said:

It's hard to tell -- she's not the excitable type. But she did tell all her coworkers about it when they came over Saturday evening for a cookout, so that should say something. Lol!

I think she still secretly wants an SBR, but I'll let her decide that when she quals with this rifle.

As an aside, you should have seen the neighbors Saturday evening. 6 POVs in the driveway, plus 4 marked units  -- including a K9 unit -- idling at the curb (the guys who were on shift stopped by for hot links and burgers...). I got no fewer than 5 phone calls yesterday asking what was going on. "Oh, not much, just had some folks over for a cookout and Cards Against Humanity. Why?"

That’s funny girl I’m seeing came over a few times in her unmarked, that gets the “neighborhood watch guy” aka creepy fuck all wondering wth was going on ??

In the interest of being cautious, I went ahead and ordered a set of 5.56 NATO Go-No-Go gauges from Brownell's. Of course, that requires removing the extractor and ejector, so I thought, "What the hell, the bolt disassembly 'vise' is only $24 -- I'll get that, too."

So I have those headed my way.

Oh, and a new set of punches for gas block roll pins. And a dozen gas tube pins. And a dozen ejector pins.

I'm amassing quite a collection of AR-specific tools here. Many of which the PD's armorer doesn't even have...

16 minutes ago, 98Z5V said:

That's a dangerous road to travel, right there.  Trust me.  :thumbup:

If you’re alluding to “well, I have these pins sitting around, I might as well do something with them (I.e., build another rifle...),” I’ve already had that thought. 

Just now, COBrien said:

If you’re alluding to “well, I have these pins sitting around, I might as well do something with them (I.e., build another rifle...),” I’ve already had that thought. 

Exactly.  Be warned.  I had ONE gas tube roll pin turn into another rifle, rapidly.  And I didn't even add water to make it grow.

That story is here somewhere... 

1 hour ago, shepp said:

Started a new build last week 

FD09DB7E-5AD1-4345-98C6-A60C51D1C203.jpeg

My very first AR started as an ejector, ejector roll pin and ejector spring, it was a 'test' order I placed with Creedmoor Sports, the only place I could find nearly 20 years ago that would ship small parts out of the USA, as soon as they arrived the mission became full on.  AR15's used to be like rocking horse excrement over here and if you could find one for sale it would set you back close to $10K, (no crap), and chances were it was an ex chopper gun that had had 50K rounds through it and was knackered. Only part I couldn't manage to get was a stripped lower, no one was exporting them back then, so I machined one up out of some 7075 toolplate, still have it but it's a paperweight now that sits in my workshop to remind me of what had to be done to fulfil the 'need'

lower.jpg

33 minutes ago, 308kiwi said:

My very first AR started as an ejector, ejector roll pin and ejector spring, it was a 'test' order I placed with Creedmoor Sports, the only place I could find nearly 20 years ago that would ship small parts out of the USA, as soon as they arrived the mission became full on.  AR15's used to be like rocking horse excrement over here and if you could find one for sale it would set you back close to $10K, (no crap), and chances were it was an ex chopper gun that had had 50K rounds through it and was knackered. Only part I couldn't manage to get was a stripped lower, no one was exporting them back then, so I machined one up out of some 7075 toolplate, still have it but it's a paperweight now that sits in my workshop to remind me of what had to be done to fulfil the 'need'

lower.jpg

If we don't come to grips with what's going on in this country of ours, and fast, that's what we'll be doing, too. Mark my words. :thumbup:

We could learn alot, here, from other countries, Kiwi...  but there's still too many people clinging to the "not anything, ever" mentality. If that doesn't change, soon, here, there will be nothing, in our near future. 

The mentality needs a different curve, than the path it's on right now...  Protect what you have, and keep what you have, or deny ALL and lose EVERYTHING...

Edited by 98Z5V

13 minutes ago, 98Z5V said:

We could learn alot, here, from other countries, Kiwi...  but there's still too many people clinging to the "not anything, ever" mentality. If that doesn't change, soon, here, there will be nothing, in our near future. 

The mentality needs a different curve, than the path it's on right now...  Protect what you have, and keep what you have, or deny ALL and lose EVERYTHING...

I have seen a LOT of change over the last couple of decades here, we used to struggle to get anything, the very thought, dream, of owning a brand new AR15 was just that, a dream, but slowly things changed, a few individuals put in the hard yards and with much effort  things opened up, most of us now work WITH the authorities and we have spent a long time building relationships between us that work for all involved, a lot of trust has been developed and nurtured to the point that I can now apply for import permits for almost anything and they are granted. BUT we still have the obstinate twats that won't get with the program, they're constantly poking the bear and cause so many problems it's not funny, they are so damn set in their ways and beliefs that they will never change, they just can't see the light.

It's incredibly frustrating when the very people that should be helping are being purposely obstructive because they won't "give one inch",  I've been verbally abused and personally threatened by some of these guys,  in their eye's I am a traitor to the shooting community for no other reason than I get along with and work with my local Police Armourer, ( my first point of contact with anything firearm related) and the various Govt Departments, Customs etc,  that are also involved with owning and importing firearms related things.

I am at a loss, how is that I am the problem now when all I want is my TRUE 2A rights back? Not the modern interpretation but the original intent of the amendment. This is a cultural issue, no facts or compromises will change the fact that the progressives will not stop till they have removed firearms from all private citizens. This fight requires an offense, not a strategic defense. I say "Nuts" to compromising my Liberty!

5 hours ago, 98Z5V said: