• Visit Sportsmans Guide

7MM-08 cycling issues

R4CETECH92

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

15 minutes ago, 98Z5V said:

You'll only need a few, and you can pick them up from Ace Hardware or Lowe's.  The Irwin numbered bits, sold individually.  Focus on the bits between 0.080" and 0.095".  I highly, highly doubt you'll need to go higher than 0.095".

Looks for these:

s-l225.jpg

(Number 47 through number 41 will do what you need done.  :thumbup:)

Exactly   If it were me I would go straight to the #45    .0820 has never let me down....lol     The drilling aint nuthin...hell I don't even use my drill press.....you cant fuk up an Excaliber....it comes that way from the factory  :laffs: ....just kidding....Ha   these  thin barrels are bout as hard as a soft stick of butter.....put the bit in the chuck and go for it....you will feel the bit clear the inner even before you see wood chips.....you don't wanna see wood chips....lol     Ray Charles could do this       :thumbup:    Wash  

Edited by washguy

1 minute ago, washguy said:

Exactly   If it were me I would go straight to the #45    .0820 has never let me down....lol     The drilling aint nuthin...hell I don't even use my drill press.....you cant fuk up an Excaliber....it comes that way from the factory  :laffs: ....just kidding....Ha   these  thin barrels are bout as hard as a soft stick of butter.....put the bit in the chuck and go for it....you will feel the bit clear the inner even before you see wood chips.....you don't wanna see wood chips....lol     Ray Charles could do this       :thumbup:    Wash  

That's a solid response lol...hopefully it is as accurate as it is soft...lol

21 hours ago, R4CETECH92 said:

Once JT got his figured out, with out the help of X Cal and their top secret port sizes (that don’t fucking work :laffs:) I think he was very pleased with it

21 hours ago, R4CETECH92 said:

19 minutes ago, shepp said:

Once JT got his figured out, with out the help of X Cal and their top secret port sizes (that don’t fucking work :laffs:) I think he was very pleased with it

I am finally getting some consistent groups from the build. X-Caliber had no clue when it came to gas port sizes and they were not afraid to lay out a line of bull and make themselves look stupid here. The fit and finish on the barrel was great, like a mirror inside. I had some issues with heat stringing but I think that may have been due to an uneven mating surface on the receiver, once lapped it seems to have gotten better now. After building with a Criterion barrel recently I doubt X-caliber and I will cross paths again, that Criterion shoots lights out, plug and play!

10 hours ago, jtallen83 said:

I am finally getting some consistent groups from the build. X-Caliber had no clue when it came to gas port sizes and they were not afraid to lay out a line of bull and make themselves look stupid here. The fit and finish on the barrel was great, like a mirror inside. I had some issues with heat stringing but I think that may have been due to an uneven mating surface on the receiver, once lapped it seems to have gotten better now. After building with a Criterion barrel recently I doubt X-caliber and I will cross paths again, that Criterion shoots lights out, plug and play!

Criterion :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

I thought that was the Manufacturer that had the secret Port sizes , I wasn't sure . I think we all gave them , "what for " about that in your thread , hope they read it .:laffs:

Ok heres the blueprints for a 7mm 08......your gas port dia is the same as this one and the same gas tube length as yours.....confidential sources say that a standard buffer and a Tubbs flatwire spring is used  BUT my source also sez the gas port could stand to be opened a bit more.....<<<<<< get it a pun   :banana:   please keep these dimensions just between you and me...okay?  :laffs:    Wash

7mm08.pdf

Edited by washguy

6 hours ago, washguy said:

Ok heres the blueprints for a 7mm 08......your gas port dia is the same as this one and the same gas tube length as yours.....confidential sources say that a standard buffer and a Tubbs flatwire spring is used  BUT my source also sez the gas port could stand to be opened a bit more.....<<<<<< get it a pun   :banana:   please keep these dimensions just between you and me...okay?  :laffs:    Wash

7mm08.pdf

If you go by that Blue Print , there is nothing wrong or out of spec with this barrels Port size  ,Blue Print for a rifle gas 18" bbl., OP has a 20" . I trust Wilson Combat , I have several of their Barrels ( 5.56 & 300 BLK ) & they run fine .

Maybe their are other issues with this Gas system , Gas Block gas passage, within  the Block , not restricted & Block aligned correctly . How far does the gas Tube protrude into the Upper Receiver ( photo ) ?

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, R4CETECH92 said:

Still waiting on my tubbs spring from Larue calling them today hopefully not on back order to much longer...

Well crap...their stuff gets to me fast...it was on backorder?....oh man you should have canceled that...I could have found you one like pronto ...if they havnt charged your card cancel that order....         Wash