• Visit Sportsmans Guide

Hunting with the 300BLK

survivalshop

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

12 hours ago, ARTrooper said:

So far Shepp, I am not seeing the negative of Cancun in your guys' posts. I have never been there sadly.

Lot of negatives; Hot weather, clear water for scuba/snorkle, and worse, a ton of hard bodies in bikinis. Of course last time there, I decided to wear a white Speedo. The Mexican Department of Marine Resources issue an alert about a lost Beluga whale off  Columbia beach on the south end of Cozumel island. The harpoon missed me by inches. I don’t swim no more except in a full body wet suit. Then I only have to worry about sharks mistaking me for a seal.

2 hours ago, Sisco said:

Lot of negatives; Hot weather, clear water for scuba/snorkle, and worse, a ton of hard bodies in bikinis.

:drool:

2 hours ago, Sisco said:

Of course last time there, I decided to wear a white Speedo. The Mexican Department of Marine Resources issue an alert about a lost Beluga whale off  Columbia beach on the south end of Cozumel island. The harpoon missed me by inches. I don’t swim no more except in a full body wet suit. Then I only have to worry about sharks mistaking me for a seal.

:lmao:Yeah us Wisconsinites tend to be a little pale

2 hours ago, Robocop1051 said:

Uh oh.... I think I hear a "man-trip" developing!!

That would be freaking sweet! But I would have to take my wife or she may kill me with my own gun for going to the ocean without her. lol

16 minutes ago, washguy said:

Check out  KILOMETRO TRES when your there in COZ a great place to eat...if you're into that taste ...not me:laffs:  Wash

Capi Navigans and Chosas are both pretty good too. And Senor Frogi’s is.... well, it’s a Senor Frogi’s. Best fish and chips I ever had was at Bubba Gump Shrimp in the Cancun airport. They were serving giant freaking pieces of halibut!:drool: Need to go out to Columbia reef and Palancar reef for scuba or snorkleing. See “the Wall” The edge of the continental shelf. All of a sudden you go from coral reefs right below you to a sheer drop of thousands of feet. Very disorienting.

"Need to go out to Columbia reef and Palancar reef for scuba or snorkleing. See “the Wall” The edge of the continental shelf. All of a sudden you go from coral reefs right below you to a sheer drop of thousands of feet. Very disorienting."

Yep...true drift diving....Ive dove all the sites there...even the ones that they wont let you dive anymore...those were the days....on the very tip  Barracuda reef...they lost a lot of folks in the early days..so no more...swells so high and current at 5 knots...you would surface and there would be no boat....next stop Cuba...got there one week and they were still looking for some Navy divers on vacation that were lost....my Friend Rosendo would have a trail line back to the panga so we could be followed...the current was so strong the boat following your bubbles was not even close...it wasn't in the park so we gathered lobsters  for dinner....it cost 5 bills more for the dive cause of gas costs.....then there is the Devils Throat off Punta Sur...bad to the bone dive off the opposite end of the isle by the lighthouse....those pics up above was the last time in 2007 the gal that I took was a rookie..it was her first ocean dive...told Rosendo...okay man tomorrow Devils Throat...he sez so how many dives she got?...well counting today that makes 4...2 yesterday 2 today......so she's right there and nodding.... Resendo sez...hey man you spent all this money on her just to kill her tomorrow? she stopped smiling    :thumbup:    Wash

cozdive.jpg

61275t.jpg

sunset at condo.jpg

Edited by washguy

4 hours ago, washguy said:

"Need to go out to Columbia reef and Palancar reef for scuba or snorkleing. See “the Wall” The edge of the continental shelf. All of a sudden you go from coral reefs right below you to a sheer drop of thousands of feet. Very disorienting."

Yep...true drift diving....Ive dove all the sites there...even the ones that they wont let you dive anymore...those were the days....on the very tip  Barracuda reef...they lost a lot of folks in the early days..so no more...swells so high and current at 5 knots...you would surface and there would be no boat....next stop Cuba...got there one week and they were still looking for some Navy divers on vacation that were lost....my Friend Rosendo would have a trail line back to the panga so we could be followed...the current was so strong the boat following your bubbles was not even close...it wasn't in the park so we gathered lobsters  for dinner....it cost 5 bills more for the dive cause of gas costs.....then there is the Devils Throat off Punta Sur...bad to the bone dive off the opposite end of the isle by the lighthouse....those pics up above was the last time in 2007 the gal that I took was a rookie..it was her first ocean dive...told Rosendo...okay man tomorrow Devils Throat...he sez so how many dives she got?...well counting today that makes 4...2 yesterday 2 today......so she's right there and nodding.... Resendo sez...hey man you spent all this money on her just to kill her tomorrow? she stopped smiling    :thumbup:    Wash

cozdive.jpg

61275t.jpg

sunset at condo.jpg

You did a lot more than I did Wash! I was too new to pull Barracuda. I got my PADI certification down there. Pushed it to see the Wall. Glad I did. Once in a lifetime thing. That was back in 1990. :thumbup:

Did go to the north end for bone fishing. Had a 8 foot Manta Ray go under our little boat in 3 feet of water!

Edited by Sisco

Sisco  You did good for getting your card in Coz! Why go to a cloudy cold lake when Coz is there, just calling you to come on in and dive my clear warm water! that's exactly what I did with the gal in the pic...she took lessons at night in an indoor pool ,then got open water in Coz....I was into diving big time and every gal that I ever dated for more than a month or two I paid for their padi  lessons and card and their dive suits/crap....still have the extra regs and dive computers for the GF's...but Char came along and I couldn't even get her underwater with a tank in the shallow end of the pool...exit my diving hobby...but ive got all the videos from around the oceans...I lugged a super vhs video camera with housing and lights all over the place...im talking a mini footlocker full of crap..now you can video underwater with a itsy bitsy camera that doesn't cost very much at all,and carry it in your pocket...   If you were there in 1990 the airplane just off Le Ceiba hotel bar was prolly still intact...did you dive the plane from shore?...funny story...me and my buddy dove the plane from the shore and I had a baggie of cut up raw fish tucked in the front of my belt so we could feed the fish...there were tons of fish right there...so we just dove in our trunks and tee shirt...he had a camera ...so we went down and im in the hold of the airplane standing in the door way and he is gonna take a pick of me....so im looking at him and his eyes get real effin big while at the same moment I feel something getting tight around my calf and thigh...looked at him..looked down at my leg...Oh Crap...its a green moray that's wrapped around my leg, and its head is about to take my bag of fish, and my nutz all in one bite !  I launched myself out of the doorway knocking my buddy backwards...and the moray let go all at the same time...so that wasn't the bad part.....water was only 20/25 deep...so we surfaced and we were laffin so hard we almost drowned swimming back to the bar area...got the pic of the green moray around my leg,but its real blurry:laffs:  Wash

IMG_0575.JPG      Only in Cozumel......rainbows and diving!

Edited by washguy

14 hours ago, washguy said:

Sisco  You did good for getting your card in Coz! Why go to a cloudy cold lake when Coz is there, just calling you to come on in and dive my clear warm water! that's exactly what I did with the gal in the pic...she took lessons at night in an indoor pool ,then got open water in Coz....I was into diving big time and every gal that I ever dated for more than a month or two I paid for their padi  lessons and card and their dive suits/crap....still have the extra regs and dive computers for the GF's...but Char came along and I couldn't even get her underwater with a tank in the shallow end of the pool...exit my diving hobby...but ive got all the videos from around the oceans...I lugged a super vhs video camera with housing and lights all over the place...im talking a mini footlocker full of crap..now you can video underwater with a itsy bitsy camera that doesn't cost very much at all,and carry it in your pocket...   If you were there in 1990 the airplane just off Le Ceiba hotel bar was prolly still intact...did you dive the plane from shore?...funny story...me and my buddy dove the plane from the shore and I had a baggie of cut up raw fish tucked in the front of my belt so we could feed the fish...there were tons of fish right there...so we just dove in our trunks and tee shirt...he had a camera ...so we went down and im in the hold of the airplane standing in the door way and he is gonna take a pick of me....so im looking at him and his eyes get real effin big while at the same moment I feel something getting tight around my calf and thigh...looked at him..looked down at my leg...Oh Crap...its a green moray that's wrapped around my leg, and its head is about to take my bag of fish, and my nutz all in one bite !  I launched myself out of the doorway knocking my buddy backwards...and the moray let go all at the same time...so that wasn't the bad part.....water was only 20/25 deep...so we surfaced and we were laffin so hard we almost drowned swimming back to the bar area...got the pic of the green moray around my leg,but its real blurry:laffs:  Wash

IMG_0575.JPG      Only in Cozumel......rainbows and diving!

Did the plane free diving, and yeah it was still intact. Also did the sunken barge in front of El Presidente hotel. Picked up a few spiny lobsters there. Only morays we saw were on Columbia reef. Saw a Trumpetfish at Chonkounab that looked like a fish designed by somebody on LSD! Had a great time. Something in the water down there is an aphrodesiac. Only thing I wanted to do was Scuba, Snorkel, and sex! A great and exhausting vacation, for the above reasons.

On 6/22/2018 at 2:21 PM, ARTrooper said:

:drool:

:lmao:Yeah us Wisconsinites tend to be a little pale

That would be freaking sweet! But I would have to take my wife or she may kill me with my own gun for going to the ocean without her. lol

If you guys ever want a get away let me know, I know a great travel agent. I have no interest in going back really but the prices she posts are hard to pass last one was 3-4 days adults only 599 a person 

3 hours ago, Sisco said:

Did the plane free diving, and yeah it was still intact. Also did the sunken barge in front of El Presidente hotel. Picked up a few spiny lobsters there. Only morays we saw were on Columbia reef. Saw a Trumpetfish at Chonkounab that looked like a fish designed by somebody on LSD! Had a great time. Something in the water down there is an aphrodesiac. Only thing I wanted to do was Scuba, Snorkel, and sex! A great and exhausting vacation, for the above reasons.

When I went we did zip line/ cave dive/ 4 wheeling and cenote’ swim. The cenote was the coolest, basicly a sink hole in the middle of the jungle from an under ground river, the thing I loved is it was full of tetras that I’d kept at one time or another in my home aquarium 

Now that is kewl....the cenotes ive always wanted to do...just never got to....well crap...its a boys trip to cenote dive !  yep fresh water tropical fish or brackish?....no snakes please....did the black banded sea snakes in Fijji ....no thank you.....had those poisonous fukkers surrounding me on a twilight dive ...first time I ever ran out of pee Wash

4 hours ago, washguy said:

Now that is kewl....the cenotes ive always wanted to do...just never got to....well crap...its a boys trip to cenote dive !  yep fresh water tropical fish or brackish?....no snakes please....did the black banded sea snakes in Fijji ....no thank you.....had those poisonous fukkers surrounding me on a twilight dive ...first time I ever ran out of pee Wash

All fresh water maybe closer to the ocean

21 hours ago, shepp said:

If you guys ever want a get away let me know, I know a great travel agent. I have no interest in going back really but the prices she posts are hard to pass last one was 3-4 days adults only 599 a person 

I'll keep that in mind. wife has to stop popping out kids though. lol

On 1/6/2018 at 9:40 PM, ARTrooper said:

I'm not trying to take credit away from the cartridge. I'm just sad about the one that got away from me with .243 with a 100 yard shot through both lungs. 

I have no doubt that 300blk could take deer at 200 yards, but it could be the one big tough son of a bambi's dad that gets away at far less than that with a very reasonable shot that I would hate. 

I do think it would be the perfect gun for thick woods and brush though.

Would love for you to prove me worries wrong in the field though. ?

Ok a little briefing is in order here as 98 said AK's have killed people for a long time and so will a 300 BL. it is where you hit em not what you hit em with NO animal will live shot through both lungs with a 243... it is impossible once both lungs have a hole in them (any sized hole) with out surgery and a trauma team that animal is dead he will suffocate on his own blood , I have killed every animal in North America except a speed goat and with just about any weapon you can think of and each and every time it comes to bullet placement. I would not hesitate to shoot a deer with a 300Bl. with a 200 sub as long as i had the right shot because a hole is a hole and I know holes leak!

Oh I know a hole through the vitals will kill, but without all those nice things like energy and cavitation, how quickly and humanely will that animal die. When I shot the deer with the .243 that got away, the blood trail went away with a small layer of snow that melted mid track. I'm sure he died somewhere, the issue is he didn't end up in my freezer. I don't shoot animals to shoot animals, I shoot them for food (and sometimes pest removal for some little critters.) Though I get excited about the challenge of tracking something, for the animal's sake and for the ease of dragging them out of the woods, I prefer to drop them not far from where I shot them.

One thing I will point out Magwa, the post you quoted was from early January, since them I bought my own 300 blk and I do plan on taking it deer hunting this year. Maybe it is my growing confidence in the round, or maybe I am just excited over my new rifle, but I'm gonna try it. ?

49 minutes ago, ARTrooper said:

Maybe it is my growing confidence in the round, or maybe I am just excited over my new rifle, but I'm gonna try it. ?

Load them with 130gr Barnes TSX and get the speed up.  That'll park a deer in it's tracks.  Or pick up the loaded Barnes VOR-TX ammo, in 110gr. 

I have 2 boxes of 125gr Nosler Match Grade Ballistic Tip Hunting bullets. For some reason when I bought them they were ridiculous cheap. now they are selling them at $40 a box. I bought the 2 boxes for less than that even after shipping, straight from Nosler. 

I am going to try them and see how they shoot out of my rifle, then I might try some 110gr Hornady GMX Full Boar

The Barnes VOR-TX in 110gr is on my list of ones I wouldn't mind trying for deer though.