• Visit Sportsmans Guide

Hotwrench

Hotwrench

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

Sounds about what sketch had - damn near 8" internal depth.  Off the mark, by a bit.  There's a way to fix it - you need to get the internal depth down to 7 5/8" exactly (or very damn close).  Stack quarters in the bottom of it, then insert the spring and buffer.  Take up that extra space in there.  With the longer tube, the hazard in the operation is bolt overtravel.  When it's moving too far rearward, it has to come back forward - that strongass 308 spring and all that BCG mass-in-motion can break a bolt stop on the last round. Or crack your lower receiver where the bolt stop mounts. 

@sketch, get into this thread, brother...

Other way to fix it is to buy a real Armalite AR-10 Carbine receiver extension.

Thought he said 50 cents fixed it

2 hours ago, Hotwrench said:

Which way is most functional, quarters or the Armalite extension? Would Armalite buffer and spring be even more functional? In the mean time I am going to insert quarters and wait until my part of the warm sunny South gets above too damn cold.

The real deal, no joke, on just about any 308AR that runs a collapsible stock (RRA not included, weird proprietary parts) is the complete Armalite AR-10 Carbine setup.  The AR-10 Carbine receiver extension, AR-10 Carbine buffer (which is honestly just an AR-15 H3 Carbine buffer, available anywhere), and the Armalite EA1095 buffer spring.  Those parts, combined together, don't fail.  They don't have issues.  You don't have to measure anything - just put them together, and they run a 308AR.  If there are issues beyond that, it's definitely NOT with the recoil system, in the least.

All these parts are available at two places, almost all the time - Brownells, and DSG Arms.  You'll rarely find them out of stock at either place.

2 hours ago, Hotwrench said:

98 I should also thank you for not just telling what to do but why. Why is a much more important concept than how.

Eh, even a blind monkey finds a banana once in awhile.  I get lucky sometimes.  That's the only reason they haven't thrown me outta here yet...   :thumbup:

I'll be here all night.  Have a great time, don't over do it, and remember to tip your waitress...  :laffs:

Edited by 98Z5V

Oh, be glad you don't have a pistol-caliber-carbine.  If you don't buy a special longer pistol caliber AR buffer, you have to stack $1.75 in those bastards.  I have so much money in pistol caliber receiver extensions, I could strip it all out and go on vacation.  If you build one of those things down the road, just let go of the $1.75 right away - or you WILL break a bolt stop...

4 hours ago, unforgiven said:

I said fifty cents not fiddy cent lol 

ps you know you’ve hit rock bottle when your at a grocery store liquor store in sun prairie wi pushing your vodka ????

Edited by shepp

Quarter's ?  Is that the way we make systems function correctly , what Armorers course is that in , I know , how to jury rig something to get by , if you dont have the correct components or parts :laffs:

The proper Receiver Extension , Spring & Buffer , is the only way to achieve proper & safe function . There is a section on Buffer systems in the 308 section . It describes what to use with what on what .

https://forum.308ar.com/topic/597-buffer-tube-buffer-and-buffer-spring/

It seems the PSA system is not a good choice for a Buffer system , there is no need for spacers or Quarters , use the proper length DPMS based system or the Armalite AR system , its as simple as that, they both work just fine , but only if you don't interchange components  .

The problem is , so many manufacturers or retailers , stamp everything with an AR 10 stamp on its description , so you really don't know what you are getting , Armalite or DPMS systems . The only way to know is to ask where you are purchasing from & if they don't know , ask them for measurements & Spring Coil counts , also the weight of the Buffer . 

If they don't feel obligated to find this info , shop somewhere else ! :thumbup:

Edited by survivalshop

10 minutes ago, survivalshop said:

Quarter's ?  Is that the way we make systems function correctly , what Armorers course is that in

That's just making it more Merica, fvck yeah. 

Also it can't be a to bad of an idea, it does say in God we trust on the quarters, maybe God will help make the rifle better. lol.

I know you guys are right, use the right equipment to get the right results, however I learned about quarters right here from 98. They should work until I can find the right components and I am sure I won't find them at a PSA .

Now the ball busting is over and I am getting a proper buffer assembly ordered. Would a fixed rifle stock be an advantage on this 20 inch barrel PA10 and why in your opinion or why not? Discussion of pros and cons is usually the best way to go and easier than trying all the alternatives. Besides at my age I don't have time to make all the mistakes by myself when I can learn from yours, cheaper and faster.

2qt's saved more damage done to my reciver than not. of course until i found the right parts.. hind sight can be a bitch,  and trusting a gun dealer is not always the way to go over the builders on this board! to be honest i had a buck75 in there just to get to az.. i figured it would be fine if i got lost on the road.. i could call from a pay phone.

pay phones dont exist anymore.. they are crack house's. i saw several on my trip.. and had confidence in my quarters! 

6 hours ago, Hotwrench said:

Would a fixed rifle stock be an advantage on this 20 inch barrel PA10 and why in your opinion or why not?

No advantage to the function of the rifle. The advantages might be you shoot better with it but that is all personal preference. If you imagine yourself cracking skulls with buttstrokes from the rifle then a good A1 or A2 rifle stock would have a big advantage. If you might need adjustable, say younger shooters using the rifle or shooting in different seasons with different thicknesses of clothing on then the adjustable carbine stocks have the advantage.

1 hour ago, jtallen83 said:

No advantage to the function of the rifle. The advantages might be you shoot better with it but that is all personal preference. If you imagine yourself cracking skulls with buttstrokes from the rifle then a good A1 or A2 rifle stock would have a big advantage. If you might need adjustable, say younger shooters using the rifle or shooting in different seasons with different thicknesses of clothing on then the adjustable carbine stocks have the advantage.

always go for the muzzle stuff, that way the pew pew end is the one hitting them in the chest ;)

I agree, no advantage to a fixed stock, just personal preference. 

6 minutes ago, Hotwrench said:

If it won't function any better or be better balanced I won't bother. Besides butt stroking is for wooden rifles.

Up until recently I went with a standard A2stock and mid level rings on all my AR’s simply because then proper cheek weld was the same position on all of them and became subconcious muscle memory for me. I have since switched to collapsible stocks on all my carbines and kept the A2’s on my 20 inch rifles., for no other reason then I wanted to try them.

I put a magpul ACS-L on the .308 and it locks tight with no wiggle.  Someone with more experience than me suggested paint lines on the receiver extension as a quick way to assure that the length had not been changed and my cheek weld would be consistent across different rifles. It seems to work so far.

On 1/8/2018 at 10:18 PM, Hotwrench said:

I know you guys are right, use the right equipment to get the right results, however I learned about quarters right here from 98. They should work until I can find the right components and I am sure I won't find them at a PSA .

Now the ball busting is over and I am getting a proper buffer assembly ordered.

All these homos talking smack have probably never had to make a pistol caliber AR run like it should, brother- fear them not.  :laffs:

Here's some pistol-cal info that they probably missed - because they're too scared to build one...   :thumbup:

On 7/22/2017 at 9:24 PM, guruofhotrod said:

What are your thoughts on buffers for this setup, I've seen some real heavy AR45 buffers (7.5oz and 10oz) made by New Frontier Armory and I think Kaw Valley - do you feel this is necessary or helpful on the Oly Arms stuff?

I don't think they're necessary, but I think they'd be helpful.  The specialty buffers are not only heavier - they're longer.  Blowback operated pistol cal carbines have a shorter BCG, because they've got a fixed bolt -not a reciprocating bolt like normal ARs.  Based on that shorter length, you need to take up some space in the receiver extension.  The most common way is to stack 7 quarters in the receiver extension before you install the spring and buffer.  The specialty buffers are a little longer, designed that way for that reason.

I run a regular AR15 Carbine H3 buffer, plus $1.75 in mine.  The recoil is so tame, the sights don't even come off target.  That's why I say "not necessary," but they can be helpful.  Up to you.