• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

New meat

Silenceiskey13

Hello I would consider myself knowledgeable in firearms in general but the at platform is a whole new can of worms I just recently opened and I’m looking for information to advance my ar-10 for long range target and distance hunting applications I have a built areo.308 I’m looking to go with a longer barrel but am running into issues finding a decent 24” barrel 

Hello I would consider myself knowledgeable in firearms in general but the at platform is a whole new can of worms I just recently opened and I’m looking for information to advance my ar-10 for long range target and distance hunting applications I have a built areo.308 I’m looking to go with a longer barrel but am running into issues finding a decent 24” barrel 

Welcome aboard from Texas      So Silence if you are wanting to step out to that distance 1000 or better I would highly recommend a 6.5 creedmore caliber for your ar308 or even a 7mm 08 Remington...both of these calibers will out shine the 308 bigtime at that distance ....if you reload prolly a 6.5 if you don't 7mm-08 cause the ammo is cheap and theres plenty to choose from....Ive been thinking bout another caliber and I think the 7mm-08 is going to be my choice...... these two calibers use the same parts as a 308ar...you are just swapping barrels. Also a 24 inch 308 is not gonna help you much...it aint the barrel length its the caliber that helps in really long distance shooting....go do some comparison homework on the 308win.. the 6.5 creedmore and the 7mm-08 heres a little reading material for ya    http://www.accuracy-tech.com/6-5-creedmoor-vs-308-winchester/

Wash

Edited by washguy

43 minutes ago, 98Z5V said:

I'd vote .260 Remington, all day long.

your vote was lost in the transfer of the ballots to the counting room.......but you will have a provisional vote  granted for the .260  only if your mag release button is red and is threaded to an ar15 mil spec mag release bolt properly in a large frame ar be it an ar 308 or an Armalite ar10 and furthermore your weapon that the red mag release button is threaded to has to be at least three if not four different colors not including the red mag button.....:laffs:    Wash

Just now, 98Z5V said:

Can I have my magnified optic bridge the upper and the 16" rail?  Even if the rail flexes alot?

The committee will take this under advisement ...although 16 " rails have to be measured against the purple dong standard provided the internal temperature is 98.6  for the dong, and the red mag button has at least two threads showing.....  :banana:    Wash