• Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

wont lock back on empty mag. old story, weird twist

No . I bought only the stock. The spring and buffer were sourced separately.

I've been in communication with Slash and I think I have everything figured out in terms of what it will take to make it run properly I am going to order from him a new spring and buffer that should solve the problem and apparently the one I am using is a bit too long the buffer, and the spring is apparently a bit too weak so I will be ordering the stuff and running the gun again to see what kind of improvements have been made and report back. Thanks much to all

Edited by xxlfitness@yahoo.com
Sp

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, xxlfitness@yahoo.com said:

No . I bought only the stock. The spring and buffer were sourced separately.

I've been in communication with Slash and I think I have everything figured out in terms of what it will take to make it run properly I am going to order from him a new spring and buffer that should solve the problem and apparently the one I am using is a bit too long the buffer, and the spring is apparently a bit too weak so I will be ordering the stuff and running the gun again to see what kind of improvements have been made and report back. Thanks much to all

Might have saved some $$ by just getting a DPMS  308 Rifle Buffer & 308 rifle length Spring , nothing wrong with Slash's Buffers or springs , but to just try it with the Real DPMS Components , to see if it takes care of the issue .

Then you can upgrade to Slash's Buffer/Spring , your call of course .

https://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/receiver-parts/recoil-parts/recoil-buffers/buffers-prod42991.aspx?avs|Make_3=AR%20xzzx308

https://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/receiver-parts/recoil-parts/recoil-springs/308-ar-buffer-springs-prod42988.aspx?avs|Make_3=AR%20xzzx308

1 hour ago, xxlfitness@yahoo.com said:

apparently the one I am using is a bit too long the buffer,

That is exactly what I stated earlier.  the 5.900" rifle buffer is for an AR-15, not a 308AR.  The 308AR rifle buffers are 5.200" long (not RRA).  Exactly what I said.

Good to see you buying quality components, though - seriously.

Edited by 98Z5V

Thanks for all the help.

I remain very confused but at least I'm making a change to see if it works.

The link provided to me for dpms shows the rifle buffer being short and only weighing like 3.2 oz? 

However slash and 98z5v both say the buffer should be 5.2 long???

Also the buffer slash says is right for me weighs 10oz and that is 3 times what the dpms one supposedly is.

36 minutes ago, xxlfitness@yahoo.com said:

Thanks for all the help.

Pardon the expression, but the long and short of it is that your buffer tube length and your buffer length dictate the length of travel for your bolt carrier group. The spring and the weight of the buffer determine it's efficacy of function. When we can determine which components you have, we can remedy any incongruous components depending on what typical system your setup most closely resembles.

6 hours ago, xxlfitness@yahoo.com said:

Thanks for all the help.

The link provided to me for dpms shows the rifle buffer being short and only weighing like 3.2 oz? 

However slash and 98z5v both say the buffer should be 5.2 long???

Also the buffer slash says is right for me weighs 10oz and that is 3 times what the dpms one supposedly is.

Those ad's show two Buffers , Carbine ( not what you need , since you have a Rifle stock system ) & LR 308 Rifle Buffer , same with the Buffer Springs , you don't want the Carbine Spring , the Buttstock std spring is the Rifle Spring length for the LR 308  .

I have no issue with Slash's products , just what will happen if you spend all that $ & for some reason , because of some sort of proprietary issue with your Receiver Extension ( Buffer Tube )  about $ 25 for a Buffer & Spring , compared to how much Slash's Buffer & Spring cost . Its Your Dime .

These Parts are DPMS parts & there are thousands of them working just fine .

F1007705 308 BUFFER BODY ASSEMBLY STD
231-000-276WB 
Rifle Buffer

Mfr Part: F1007705

$18.90 $20.99

Add to Cart

$7.06 $8.99

On 1/2/2018 at 9:34 PM, xxlfitness@yahoo.com said:

new information and some of my buffer stats were off.

Buffer tube length ID 9 3/4"

Buffer spring Stainless relaxed length 12 1/2" long, x 29-30 coils

Buffer length with nose 6"

Buffer length without nose 5 9/16"

Buffer weight will be available tomorrow when I can weight it exactly

308.jpg

308a.jpg

Not related to your function issue but with that scope bridging receiver and handguard you will have a hard time getting consistent accuracy, at least you won't experience the full potential.

39 minutes ago, xxlfitness@yahoo.com said:

tell me more please

The handguard will always have some flex to it compared to the receiver. Temperature will affect them a little differently as well. Best to use an extended mount if you can't get the rings both on the receiver.

Something like this may get the job done;

5a5004dca77a0_extendedmount.thumb.jpg.85de8ffdcf2b2c907fce4e081bb13e6b.jpg

Well these are 35mm rings so I'm not sure if they even make extenders for that. Also I never thought about the issue of Bridging the handguard and receiver but that does seem to be a valid concern. I suppose you are saying that the traditional wisdom is that the scope should always be fully mounted on the receiver as opposed to fully mounted on the handguard and certainly might not mounted on both. Is that more or less what you were saying

This.

5a5080ede7d5d_SPRPEQRail.thumb.png.439867ef2042dbe904a4fd5e9e58af77.png

Locks that specific handguard to the upper receiver with a continuous top rail.  There is no "bridging" a gap once that thing is mounted.  The whole topend of the rifle is as solid is, as solid gets.

Top one, here - look at the top rail, and the scope mounts.

5a5083032d8a2_Mk12Mod0.thumb.jpg.2a124df2c726bec96ce02eb25293de21.jpg

I see how this works, I understand thank  you.

One question, how does the set up compensate for raising the scope this much? of for that matter, any of these extending devices that mount on top of the existing receiver rail? I know its not much but it seems like that little bit would make a lot of difference in the scope adjustment and the range of elevation left on the scope after raising it? mike

15 minutes ago, xxlfitness@yahoo.com said:

One question, how does the set up compensate for raising the scope this much?

You can still get the scope at "standard AR height" by using lower rings.  Get it down to the rail as close as possible, and it's no higher than a standard one-piece AR mount, when you're running a scope with a normal-sized 40mm objective.

Almost all the one piece extended mounts out now are offered in "standard AR height," so there are many choices.

Gotcha, my scope is a very new one with a 56mm objective. And guys rave about the rings that come with it as being really substantial and heavy BUT, I dont know what size or height they are. I will tell you this though, when its mounted with the factory rings, the scope barely clears the rail at the objevctive lense. But your information is very helpful

31 minutes ago, xxlfitness@yahoo.com said:

I will tell you this though, when its mounted with the factory rings, the scope barely clears the rail at the objevctive lense.

ADM will have a size that works, they have so many choices it can get confusing figuring out what measures what but they will guide you through it on the phone if you call. I'm not as familiar with LaRue mounts but I would bet they can do the same.