• Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

FYI... PSA using 2 different buffer system lengths

bfoosh006

5 hours ago, survivalshop said:

One also has to remember that what you see & hear on these Forums is when shooters have issues with a Firearm & not too much on all the ones that work .

That being said , the fact that any Manufacturer that offers a Firearm for 1/3 of what any other factory Firearms are selling for , to me, is cutting corners somewhere & that in itself turns me off . 

Not that I don't like inexpensive Firearms or that they are not up to par with the others , but it should make a buyer pause & think about it . 

Feel free to flame me , all you PSA 308AR owners :lmao:

LOL, I think even those of us who've purchased PA10's and gotten them to run well are trying to figure out why PSA makes these types of changes. And, it DOES definitely cause me to pause and wonder why. To be honest though, it also causes me to want more of them. I sorta like the challenge of buying these things and getting them to run well. I honestly never thought I would like tinkering with them at all, but I've found that I really do. AR's are pretty basic machines it seems to me. And, I found that when I learned about them, and used that knowledge(mostly gained here from bfoosh) to make mine run well, it was very satisfying. I want more of them. And, if I have to tinker with them to get them to run the way I want them to, well, that's part of the fun for me.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like the PA10s.  I have built 3 of them now.  I have one chambered in 308, 243, and the newest in 6mm Creedmoor.  All of them have required 50 cents in the buffer tube.  One had to have a little grind on the bolt release.  I have put the flat wire buffer spring in each, but wasn’t necessary.  The flat wire spring just makes everything feel smoother and consistent.  I put adjustable gas blocks on all my guns, so they got that as well.  They are identical and they all run great.  The 6 Creedmoor has a McGowen Precision barrel and is stupid accurate.  The main thing with the 6mms is bullet selection.  You can’t feed the long bullets like hybrids and VLDs.  I stay with the 108 ELD-Ms in the 243 and 6 Creed and get 100% reliability and sub-moa accuracy.

On ‎1‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 9:29 AM, mley1 said:

LOL, I think even those of us who've purchased PA10's and gotten them to run well are trying to figure out why PSA makes these types of changes. And, it DOES definitely cause me to pause and wonder why. To be honest though, it also causes me to want more of them. I sorta like the challenge of buying these things and getting them to run well. I honestly never thought I would like tinkering with them at all, but I've found that I really do. AR's are pretty basic machines it seems to me. And, I found that when I learned about them, and used that knowledge(mostly gained here from bfoosh) to make mine run well, it was very satisfying. I want more of them. And, if I have to tinker with them to get them to run the way I want them to, well, that's part of the fun for me.

I have gotten all my PSA stuff to run correctly and how I want them to...

I am now convinced PSA is run by Millennials... and they have all the issues common with Millennials. ( no offense to any Millennials here.. )

Lol.

Edited by bfoosh006

On 1/14/2018 at 2:39 PM, bfoosh006 said:

I have gotten all my PSA stuff to run correctly and how I want them to...

I am now convinced PSA is run by Millennials... and they have all the issues common with Millennials. ( no offense to any Millennials here.. )

Lol.

LMBO!!! Roger that.

I thought that some of you might enjoy another point of contact for P.S.A., so you can tell them how much you appreciate the fine engineering they are doing.  Don't forget to congratulate the wonderful customer service dept.

Now this guy probably won't answer or even return your call but leave him a message.

(803) 724-6654 –JJE Financial / P.S.A.- Adam Ruonala, chief marketing officer.

Post any replies, please.

• 1 month later...
On 1/12/2018 at 12:13 PM, Inthebushes said:

I like the PA10s.  I have built 3 of them now.  I have one chambered in 308, 243, and the newest in 6mm Creedmoor.  All of them have required 50 cents in the buffer tube.  One had to have a little grind on the bolt release.  I have put the flat wire buffer spring in each, but wasn’t necessary.  The flat wire spring just makes everything feel smoother and consistent.  I put adjustable gas blocks on all my guns, so they got that as well.  They are identical and they all run great.  The 6 Creedmoor has a McGowen Precision barrel and is stupid accurate.  The main thing with the 6mms is bullet selection.  You can’t feed the long bullets like hybrids and VLDs.  I stay with the 108 ELD-Ms in the 243 and 6 Creed and get 100% reliability and sub-moa accuracy.

Any chance you could link the spring you used (if that's allowed), or a part number? I was a bit confused as to which spring I wanted for my gen 2 PA10 308. 

5 hours ago, dubya said:

Any chance you could link the spring you used (if that's allowed), or a part number? I was a bit confused as to which spring I wanted for my gen 2 PA10 308. 

Welcome to the forum. 

What will work for you depends on what buffer tube length you have.  Just because it worked for him, does not mean that it will be the same for you even with a similar problem.   Since there are different buffers and springs that can work together, I would suggest starting a new thread of your own to get answers to your questions.  It may keep you from buying things you don't need.

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎2‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 2:46 PM, Inthebushes said:

I get them from Larue Tactical.  They are listed as Tubbs Buffer Springs AR10/SR25.  Just under $20.00.

And that is a good price. BTW... the Tubbs Flatwire will compress shorter then a round wire.. so it works with danged near every conventional buffer system.  Just not the ultra short systems.

Edited by bfoosh006

My PA10 gen 2 lower was purchased on Aug 17th, 2017 and came with the standard sized AR15 carbine buffer (weighs 3.7ozs so it's an H1) and the longer PA10 marked tube.

I paired it up with their 18" Stainless 1:10 twist Free Floated upper, an American Defense scout optic mount and a nice inexpensive Bushnell Trophy XLT DOA scope.

I first noticed something was up when the MOE stock wouldn't adjust all the way forward. It was a busy fall, and a nasty wet winter so I never got to test fire the gun until mid February. I fired 8 rounds and then knew something was amiss with the recoil system.

This rifle kicked like a .300 Win Mag from a bench with standard M80C milsurp ammo.

So I 'fixed' it with a Luth-AR MBA1 stock and the rifle length .308 spring and buffer kit.

Going up 2oz and the proper length on the buffer and proper spring rate made all the difference.

I am installing a Superlative Arms bleed-off adj gas block later this week due to intended use with a supressor.

But this thing needs the proper weight and length buffer to be a complete rifle. I was lucky that Primary Arms had a flash sale and I got the stock and buffer kit for basically what the stock costs ($140). Plus it is completely adjustable in every way. Highly recommended unless you have to have a $300 Magpul PRS.

22 hours ago, dubya said:

$200 & free shipping at Brownells with a cupon code i found using Google. Nice stock but I'd never pay $300 for one. 

If you have to buy a rifle buffer tube and buffer, it's over $300.

it's also fairly heavy. Weighs nearly as much as a Glock 19 by itself. Something this rifle doesn't need is extra heft.

1 hour ago, ikarus1 said:

If you have to buy a rifle buffer tube and buffer, it's over $300.

it's also fairly heavy. Weighs nearly as much as a Glock 19 by itself. Something this rifle doesn't need is extra heft.

Actually you can install the Gen 3 on a carbine or rifle buffer tube, that was one of the upgrades with the G3. 

I installed a PRS on my PA10 with 20 inch barrel and a pretty heavy Precision Armament M41 brake. The rifle is much more balanced now with the PRS compared to the MOE it came with. 

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I picked up my PSA complete lower last week and after reading this thread I know my parts are identical to the set on the left of bfoosh's picture. The upper is a midlength 18" ss barrel with the Military style sight/gas block. SO after saying that, should I order an H3 buffer and orange Sprinco recoil spring before firing round 1 in this rifle, or just say "Hold my beer and watch this" ?

18 minutes ago, CoalCracker said:

I picked up my PSA complete lower last week and after reading this thread I know my parts are identical to the set on the left of bfoosh's picture. The upper is a midlength 18" ss barrel with the Military style sight/gas block. SO after saying that, should I order an H3 buffer and orange Sprinco recoil spring before firing round 1 in this rifle, or just say "Hold my beer and watch this" ?

Test it first. If it doesn't do what it should, you know what immediate steps to take.

11 minutes ago, CoalCracker said:

Believe it or not this upper was well oiled from the factory. PSA musta read bfoosh's posts about their lack of oil. I've cleaned it thoroughly anyway then slathered Mobile 1 on it. Now all I need is time. ?

Post up some range results, can't wait to see how she does!

10 hours ago, CoalCracker said:

#1.  H3 buffer is an AR15 part.  It's 3.250" long.  To run it in a 308AR, you must be running the AR-10 Carbine REceiver Extension length, 7 5/8" internal depth on the extension.

#2.  The Sprinco Orange spring is designed for the DPMS-based 308 recoil systems.  Regular AR15 Carbine Receiver Extension with 7.000" internal depth, and shortass 308 buffers that are 2.500" long.

The Sprinco Orange spring is not designed or intended for use in 308AR recoil systems that run the longer 7 5/8" internal depth extensions and regular AR15-length buffers.

So, Crack, what is the internal depth of your receiver extension?  That's what drives the train on this...

Edited by 98Z5V

13 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

#1.  H3 buffer is an AR15 part.  It's 3.250" long.  To run it in a 308AR, you must be running the AR-10 Carbine REceiver Extension length, 7 5/8" internal depth on the extension.

#2.  The Sprinco Orange spring is designed for the DPMS-based 308 recoil systems.  Regular AR15 Carbine Receiver Extension with 7.000" internal depth, and shortass 308 buffers that are 2.500" long.

The Sprinco Orange spring is not designed or intended for use in 308AR recoil systems that run the longer 7 5/8" internal depth extensions and regular AR15-length buffers.

So, Crack, what is the internal depth of your receiver extension?  That's what drives the train on this...

Extension depth is 7 11/16"  OEM buffer is 3.25" long and weighs @ 3.8oz. Parts are identical to the ones on the left of bfoosh's pic.

Receiver extension is GOOD.  Run it, with zero modifications.  Buffer LENGTH is good, but it's too light for a .308AR. You need the (commonly found) AR15 H3 buffer.  You will need the Armalite EA1095 spring for that setup, and your recoil system will be as flawless as you can make it.

Don't skimp on the spring - it's available all over, just look for it by name.  Armalite EA1095 spring.