• Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

FYI... PSA using 2 different buffer system lengths

bfoosh006

36 minutes ago, 98Z5V said:

Receiver extension is GOOD.  Run it, with zero modifications.  Buffer LENGTH is good, but it's too light for a .308AR. You need the (commonly found) AR15 H3 buffer.  You will need the Armalite EA1095 spring for that setup, and your recoil system will be as flawless as you can make it.

Don't skimp on the spring - it's available all over, just look for it by name.  Armalite EA1095 spring. 

Super! Thank You. Off to do some shoppin'

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 1/7/2018 at 12:23 AM, bfoosh006 said:

I will weigh the "New" buffer and measure the tubes depth. I completely agree with the H3 minimum.

I will also check the potential over travel with the BCG in the "New" tube... ( the over travel part that breaks bolt releases )

I  am really beginning to think PSA is not building their sold product.... seriously... I suspect it is just like their parts supply chain... MANY different companies.
I have so much more first hand contact with PSA CS that I haven't shared yet... mostly because it isn't polite.

I have posted my comment from here in another webpages industry forum, on PSA's sub forum webpage. 

There are just to many hands in the PSA  pot for anything to go right. ..And PSA can't possibly be the only hands.

On 1/7/2018 at 6:58 AM, bfoosh006 said:

And I meant to add, in context to the "who makes the PSA product" comments.... IMHO, if someone else is making assembling the uppers / rifles... that would also help explain the odd / never quite makes sense shipping times for various uppers and such.

On 1/7/2018 at 7:13 AM, bfoosh006 said:

Oops ... edit to add... I have never been able to speak with anyone in the Assembly Dept / Gunsmithing area... ever ... almost like they aren't in the same general property.

On 1/7/2018 at 7:21 AM, bfoosh006 said:

Specific questions require a few days to receive a response from the assemble folks, and even then it typically is completely wrong.

Even the CS answers are "odd" ... Answers like "we don't show that in our cataloged system / for sale system"... The armorer's are not here... That part doesn't exist...

I went through that while looking for a missing part on a complete PSA upper, a part that came on numerous other PSA uppers set up from them with the same parts.

Just sayin'

On 1/7/2018 at 8:31 AM, bfoosh006 said:

CS Manager / Supervisor. ...Lol, even then you NEED to follow up.

For various reasons.

IE ... if you don't get a contact e-mail from the supervisor... you may not have spoken to a Supervisor.... so be sure to get an e-mail address.

On 1/7/2018 at 1:00 PM, bfoosh006 said:

Here are the measured weights and lengths between the "New" and "Older" versions.

Again, remember these parts do not interchange... unless you the complete buffer system ( DPMS v. Armalite )

New / Armalite / Longer.......................... Older / DPMS / Shorter

Supplied OEM PSA buffer ............ ( Both are way to light IMHO, they should be min. 5.4oz )

.....3.8oz / OAL 3.260"...................................3.8oz / OAL 2.5"

Supplied OEM PSA Buffer Tube......

.....5.0oz / OAL 7 7/8" ..................................5.0oz / OAL 7 1/4"

Supplied OEM PSA Buffer Spring.....

......1.5oz / OAL 11 3/8" / 29coils..................1.5oz / OAL 10 5/8" / 28coils

Difference between the two, in the fully compressed spring / buffer / BCG bottomed out in the buffer tubes using the supplied parts.... the "New" Buffer system is 3/32 longer and will not compress as short as the old one.... so if you are having Bolt catch issues... this is possibly why.

The depth of the "New" buffer tube is 7 11/16"

Again the "New" buffer system length is a better choice IMHO , allowing for more common parts and a heavier buffer weight....

However.... changing mid-stream is bound to confuse the subject.

On 1/7/2018 at 6:11 PM, bfoosh006 said:

IMHO, PSA counts on no one noticing the changes. Even the HP Bolt and small diameter FP has been quietly handled.... and quite effectively.

I will still buy from them... but , wow... talk about shooting from the hip.

On 1/11/2018 at 11:21 PM, bfoosh006 said:

I have to say.... I never even considered looking for this parts change.
I mean no one does this... except PSA. ..... as others have said... PSA clearly has no in house R&D, and just buys stuff kind of higgledy- pigglyed.

Again, where are PSA armorers ?

pg 1

On 1/14/2018 at 1:39 PM, bfoosh006 said:

I have gotten all my PSA stuff to run correctly and how I want them to...

I am now convinced PSA is run by Millennials... and they have all the issues common with Millennials. ( no offense to any Millennials here.. )

Lol.

On 3/2/2018 at 10:16 PM, bfoosh006 said:

And that is a good price. BTW... the Tubbs Flatwire will compress shorter then a round wire.. so it works with danged near every conventional buffer system.  Just not the ultra short systems.

pg 2