• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Rural driveway alarm

Hotwrench

I have about a half mile driveway in a very rural area. We occasionally have uninvited people show up. That isn't the bad part, sometimes we don't know they arrive since no one is always watching. I hate surprises so does anyone have a good wireless driveway alarm with about a 200 yard range they can recommend.  We won't be digging any trenches that far in this clay/rock soil, at least not without big loud booms.

My own post got me to thinking and I had an addition, it would be possible to run a wire in plastic conduit down an existing ditch and get within 100 yards if the alarm recommended  would allow the sending unit to mount that far away from the sensor. I need to mount the sensor 200 yards away to actually control the area properly.

1. Run a hard line all the way down the roadway. A minor expenditure now will open up an avenue for that electric gate in the future.

2. Get a WiFi alarm system, then run WiFi repeaters down your driveway. They still require 110v power, but they also give you “smart” capabilities on your property.

This could have an added benefit if you live out of cellular service range. You can switch your phone to “WiFi calling” and still use your phone while working the property. You’d also be able to install that electric gate in the future, but you could control it from a Smart Home panel/Device.

3. Cheap out and skip a ranged service. Go for an audible/visual alarm. A deafening klaxon alarm and a couple LED red strobes should get some attention. Probably get into it for a fraction of the cost of the others. 

I just dropped $3,000 on a home security system. Wife still wants me to upgrade it another  $2,000. My current Internet service can barely handle th five HD cameras installed, and she wants two more, Motion sensitive lighting, new Smart smoke alarms,  and additional Hue Smart lights throughout the house. 

39 minutes ago, Robocop1051 said:

I just dropped $3,000 on a home security system. Wife still wants me to upgrade it another  $2,000. My current Internet service can barely handle th five HD cameras installed, and she wants two more, Motion sensitive lighting, new Smart smoke alarms,  and additional Hue Smart lights throughout the house. 

Throw a smart garage door in there too they’re bad ass, also make door locks too. My front door is on a key pad I havnt locked myself out in 2 years I love it

Edited by shepp

3 minutes ago, shepp said:

Throw a smart garage door in there too they’re bad ass, also make door locks too. My front door is on a key pad I havnt locked myself out in 2 years I love it

Already have both.... although I just blew the spring on my garage door, so that’s a project now too. 

I also have 2TB of harddrive, motion sensors inside, and door/window sensors at every point of ingress. 

The doorbell camera is still my favorite. 

30 minutes ago, Robocop1051 said:

Already have both.... although I just blew the spring on my garage door, so that’s a project now too. 

I also have 2TB of harddrive, motion sensors inside, and door/window sensors at every point of ingress. 

The doorbell camera is still my favorite. 

I’ve put some thought into those door bell cameras or replacing my motion light with one 

1 hour ago, shepp said:

I’ve put some thought into those door bell cameras or replacing my motion light with one 

I caught this one knocking on my door while I was away. She was a little surprised when I answered on the intercom. Don’t know if she was legit (selling magazine subscriptions) or scoping for empty homes. 

She was very surprised when a certain “motorcycle cop” (who was very far out of his jurisdiction) stopped her at the end of the neighborhood 45 mins later. C1E967D9-D357-49A5-AB73-31F8DA24CB72.png

Wrench   do you have cell phone service on your property?   If you have cell phone service heres some ideas for you...you can use a game trail camera that has cell phone built in....or you can use Arlo which is my idea lol.....check this out...screw ditch digging...

http://www.arlo.com/en-us/landing/Arlo-Verizon/?cid=us-arlo-go-srch&utm_source=search&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=q118-us-arlo-go-search&gclid=Cj0KCQiAv_HSBRCkARIsAGaSsrAiMZfnlDWpL3383sUGh7Xyu7ZFjdmk52b1epsjCB28S_GZKr3xeK8aAh5rEALw_wcB

https://www.trailcampro.com/pages/how-to-catch-a-thief

Wash

Edited by washguy

I have a similar driveway situation in a rural area.  I have an electric gate but I still like to know when someone is at the gate; UPS, and sometimes the gate is open.    I have used the Chamberlain driveway monitors for years.  They claim a 2 mile range, but with terrain, trees, weather, etc., 1/4 mile is realistic.  You can have 4 sensors on one unit.  If someone is at the gate, I get 1 tone.  If they are half way to the house I get 2 tones.  If they are at the barn, I get three tones.  If they are at the front door, I get 4 tones.  They have proven to be very reliable and low maintenance.  The sensors are battery powered and the base is 110.  Batteries last several months.  They will pick up deer, and I have used them to battle armadillos when they start digging in the yard.  They are not expensive and they actually work.

2 hours ago, Robocop1051 said:

I caught this one knocking on my door while I was away. She was a little surprised when I answered on the intercom. Don’t know if she was legit (selling magazine subscriptions) or scoping for empty homes. 

She was very surprised when a certain “motorcycle cop” (who was very far out of his jurisdiction) stopped her at the end of the neighborhood 45 mins later. C1E967D9-D357-49A5-AB73-31F8DA24CB72.png

Looks pretty late at night to be selling magazines 

9 hours ago, shepp said:

i installed a keypad door lock in a sherrif office 4 years ago its still running strong. i have the ring doorbell cam waiting for install ! i also have a wireless chime in the back of my truck. dude steals my tools he gets my atention before he knows it. house is lite up all night.  next will be a fence around the property.. $$ times are a changing for sure!

Running at least 110-115 Volt power source to the Gate or front entrance to the Driveway ( all buried / with access or Junction box's along the way ). Also a "loss of Power" alarm system for it , is the only way to be safe , I don't trust Battery operated things for anything ! For Back up yes !

My Camera's are all Wireless ( 115V powered ) , but none are far from my house , so I have no issues with connection & when I lose a Camera , I get an alarm . I had a breakout trip ( GFI ) during a store the other day & lost a Camera & got an alarm . Just had a new roof put on & they broke a Gutter putting up a latter & water just poured into a outlet box we had up for Christmas Decorations , it had a cover , but they must have broke that also , because it was missing after their job , its gone now , took my decorations down .:laffs:

Edited by survivalshop

I wouldn't put details of whatever security system you pick on a public forum, just my advice. Just a couple of suggestions: If you can, set it up so that you have two DVRs recording the cameras, one on site and one via internet or even better wireless cellular transmitter off site. That way you have images even if the home DVR is found and destroyed. Second, also think a separate motion detection/glass breakage/door alarm system with a 24 hour monitoring switch board. Set it up that one system covers and protects the other. No professional will chance being detected AND having their picture taken. They know they only have a few minutes to get in and out, not enough time to find the DVR, pull the chip, and take much. You will be left with the dumb ones and the meth heads, and few of them are safe crackers. Robo's idea of WIFI repeaters is an excellent one, and try to have a motion activated camera set up that can catch the license plates of any cars coming or going, and don't scrimp on the quality of the equipment.  I also have a bunch of game cams set up around my place as well that have come in useful. Think overlapping layers of protection. I hate surprises.

Sisco, excellent advice.  I try to make it a point to never discuss specifics about security anywhere anytime with strangers and few friends.  I did get some good thoughts here though and I can implement a layered plan after a lot more research.  We all know the old truism " I won't live long enough to make all the mistakes, so at some point I have to listen to other peoples mistakes and learn from them".  Either way thanks for thinking of us and reminding us of opsec.