• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Aero Precision
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Faxon
308kiwi

Suppressor Mirage

I'm sure everyone here that shoots a suppressed rifle knows all about that huge PITA called suppressor mirage, especially when using the higher end of magnification in a scope.

I've tried a 'wrap' type of insulator and it definitely made a difference but the whole idea of insulating a suppressor really doesn't sit with me, trapping all that heat surely cannot be conducive to a long life for the internals, especially if you've set up on a hill top and there's 200 rabbits out in front of you just begging to be smeared across a hill face.

A mate of mine is into long range shooting and most of the guys he shoots with use a barrel mirage shield that is basically a piece of Venetian blind velcroed  above the barrel, so I thought I'd steal their idea.

Machined the mount out of a bit of 50 x 10mm aluminium flat bar and just happened to have a strip of old blind lying around to act as the shield, off to the range tomorrow to see how it works:cool:

Mirage 1 .jpg

Mirage 2 .jpg

interesting. can it diflect the heat mirage? testing will tell.. mine is a poly so if hot i can still grabe it. it gets plenty hot still.

22 minutes ago, sketch said:

can it diflect the heat mirage

The theory is proven with using the same principle for deflecting mirage generated by a hot barrel, I'll sure let you know if it works with a suppressor as well, here's hoping.

fierce1401.jpg

Very interesting, might need to get a patent for that before putting much about it on the web. I know I am still looking for something better in this category.

That whole apparatus should be made out to be carbon fiber/fiberglass material. It’s only a matter time before the aluminum transfers enough heat to the plastic slat. 

Should have stated, the 'shield' is a piece of aluminium blind that I painted flat black, going to try it in black and then spray it flat white to see if the colour makes a difference, it is after all apparently why car radiators are black and saucepans are shiny, radiation vs retention of heat or did I see it on Mythbusters that that was a load of crap:laffs:

Edited by 308kiwi