• Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Request: PSA offer upper with adjustable gas block

erichard

6 minutes ago, 98Z5V said:

You shouldn't have to add an adjustable gas block to a 308AR to make the damn thing function.  If you do, there's something WRONG with your 308AR...

I stand by that, and I've proven that.  5 times over.

None of the 4 I've owned needed one to function correctly. If I wasn't running a suppressor, I still wouldn't have an AGB. As it stands, more than 3k rounds mixed suppressed and unsuppressed (without cleaning) before the first hiccup convinced me that the gas block is the least significant component to gas issues. 

Gas port size, recoil spring/buffer combination, and gas tube length are the primary drivers of a functional DI system, by my experience anyways.

Not saying they should all have agb. They should just offer some with and some without. Having read through many reviews and watched many videos and read many threads on it, the number one recommended option for the gun is agb, and many go that route, and each one that does is cancelling out their warranty. You can make all the guns cycle by over gassing them, which is the easy remedy for an ailing system. Over means over, and as in beyond the correct amount, the necessary amount. Excess wears the gun excessively, particularly if you fire hot rounds. Faster followup shots on a properly gassed rifle=better rifle.

They just need to put in one that works and is reliable, like for their 6.5 Creedmore. This is not rocket science, not asking for the moon.

If the hearing act eventually gets passed, I'll be shooting suppressed with all my guns if possible.

And the bottomline motivation is that they will sell more guns, and some at higher margins.

Edited by erichard

10 minutes ago, erichard said:

Not saying they should all have agb. They should just offer some with and some without. Having read through many reviews and watched many videos and read many threads on it, the number one recommended option for the gun is agb,

You might need that, if your gas port isn't drilled to the correct size...

If your gas port is WAY OVER SIZE, then you could use and adjustable block to tame it down.  If your gas port us UNDERSIZED, then there's nothing in the world that an adjustable can do for you.

If the gas port is correct - you don't NEED an adjustable block.  It's that simple. 

On 2/25/2018 at 6:32 PM, erichard said:

and the number one suggestion for a mod is installing an adjustable gas block.

Probably because they read it on the internet....written by someone who read it on the internet....who learned it by reading a post on the internet...made by someone who was probably an expert. 

9 hours ago, blue109 said:

Probably because they read it on the internet....written by someone who read it on the internet....who learned it by reading a post on the internet...made by someone who was probably an expert. 

Actually, it was by using it without an agb and then putting one on and seeing the difference in each case that I recall. 

17 minutes ago, erichard said:

Actually, it was by using it without an agb and then putting one on and seeing the difference in each case that I recall. 

What was your rifle doing, with the standard gas block, that made you switch to an adjustable?  And what did the adjustable fix?

Not nit-picking, I just want to know. :thumbup:

For what it's worth, I was certain I needed an AGB since I built my PA10 after reading numerous threads on the forums. I shot it for the first time today and I have to say that I'm very glad I didn't waste upwards of $80 on one. The rifle shot perfectly fine through 140 rounds of mil-surp, Hornady and Federal Premium. Cases look fine and ejection was ideal. 

Blue109 may be onto something here, although I do agree that the uppers should have a version offered with an AGB for those that want one anyway. Can't hurt. 

Average joe will do more harm than good playing around with adjustable anything....and that can be a big headache for a large manufacturer who puts out lots of guns covered under a warranty policy.  

The folks who are comfortable fine tuning a gas system for custom components and ammo loads dont need a warranty because they can troubleshoot it themselves.  

In my case the over gassed situation in my rifle was beating the crap out of the rifle(and me). Cases were ejecting to 12:00-1:00, with some stove piping. Recoil was stout. I've never sent any gun back to the manufacturer for any issue. I've never really had an issue with any of my guns. I have a little experience with AR's due to my profession. So, I decided to remedy the issue myself. I read on a couple different forums about similar issues other guys were having with their PA10's. 

I added two tungsten weights to the buffer, making it an H3. I had to put two quarters behind the spring. And, then I added the agb. The agb made all the difference in the world. No more stove pipes. Less recoil. Ejecting cases to 3:00-3:30. No more beating me or the rifle up. Now the rifle runs great. Brass looks good. The rifle is fairly accurate.

Frankly, PSA should be doing better on their PA10 platform. I think the fact that they're now offering the agb on the 6.5CM is an indication they realize they've got some issues with over gassing and tuning of their PA10 platform. They should be offering the agb on their .308's as well.

18 hours ago, erichard said:

Luddite crew here I guess. Trying to cater to joe blow from buffalo who doesn't know nothin bout no agb. If that's where you are, they should offer even less variety I suppose.  I won't be buying, but hey, joe blow will be happy I guess.

Not really, it has more to do with making things straightforward for the guy that comes along not knowing anything about the platform or how to turn a wrench. It's also not uncommon for folks who haven't yet fired their rifle to be attempting to solve problems that their particular rifle doesn't necessarily have. Trying to help someone diagnose their rifle is a difficult exercise when they've added every aftermarket component known to man before going to the range and trying to shoot it dry, and then try to blame the manufacturer for their malfunctions.

The straightforward approach is actually the easiest. Buy the base platform, lube it up real well and shoot some high quality ammunition through it. Then begin addressing what is and is not desirable about the way the system functions, with as few component changes made at once as possible. Simplicity is golden on these platforms.

12 hours ago, Matt.Cross said:

Not really, it has more to do with making things straightforward for the guy that comes along not knowing anything about the platform or how to turn a wrench. It's also not uncommon for folks who haven't yet fired their rifle to be attempting to solve problems that their particular rifle doesn't necessarily have. Trying to help someone diagnose their rifle is a difficult exercise when they've added every aftermarket component known to man before going to the range and trying to shoot it dry, and then try to blame the manufacturer for their malfunctions.

The straightforward approach is actually the easiest. Buy the base platform, lube it up real well and shoot some high quality ammunition through it. Then begin addressing what is and is not desirable about the way the system functions, with as few component changes made at once as possible. Simplicity is golden on these platforms.

If PSA did in fact make things simple, as in PA10's that operated properly, it would be great. However, I and many others have had trouble with the bolt timing, over gassing.....etc. I agree, make it simple, and make it work PROPERLY. Properly being the key word. Bfoosh06 has already documented issues with PSA changing buffer tube sizes and buffers in the PA10 platform, along with other issues. Had I not made changes to my rifle it would have had to go back to PSA. And, frankly, their shipping times had me scared my rifle would be in never never land forever. So, I fixed it myself.

BTW, my rifle had zero changes to it or mods. I only made whatever changes necessary to get it to function properly. Once it was functioning properly it got a new stock and a muzzle brake.

37 minutes ago, mley1 said:

BTW, my rifle had zero changes to it or mods. I only made whatever changes necessary to get it to function properly. Once it was functioning properly it got a new stock and a muzzle brake.

That's the general idea I was trying to convey. I was by no means trying to make anyone wear a shoe that doesn't fit. :thumbup:

23 hours ago, Matt.Cross said:

That's the general idea I was trying to convey. I was by no means trying to make anyone wear a shoe that doesn't fit. :thumbup:

Roger that! We're lucky now days as far as the learning curve goes. We have the luxury of the internet, and forums. When I first started shooting AR's it was to qualify for the agency I worked for. The first time was 1982. It wasn't long and I wanted one. Back then we didn't have the internet to discuss things or learn things from other guys. We had only the folks around us, and magazines(the paper kind). The local gun store sold some parts, and could mail order for you. There were no websites to magically click on the parts you wanted, pay for them electronically, and then take them out of your mail box a few days later. It's a wonderful thing to have forums like this to discuss our weapons, and hobbies.

On 3/5/2018 at 8:34 AM, Matt.Cross said:

this^^ dont need to step on toes to make a point and if i step in shits ill tell you where it is. I do need to hear or read from the brothers to learn new things every day.. and im not that far from advising friends to a pa10? its been worked out in the long run thus far. kudos for the test subjects!! @erichard can you add what you have found to the topic? 

On 3/3/2018 at 9:35 PM, 98Z5V said:

What was your rifle doing, with the standard gas block, that made you switch to an adjustable?  And what did the adjustable fix?

Not nit-picking, I just want to know. :thumbup:

• 2 weeks later...

Lol... it isn't just PSA with gas port size issues.

And I get why the ports are larger then typically needed ...

Even the Criterion barrel benefited from the SLR adj GB... the PSA ran in the OEM configuration.

It runs smoother with the SLR on it.... with both the PSA barrels and the Criterion barrel. ( all middies, 18" )

And for me, I prefer the way it is now.

I will still recommend people at least try an Adj. GB on over gassed .308 sized AR's.

Everyone that has fired mine have been amazed how little it kicks, while still being 100% reliable.

As for the "bugs" ... I like to tinker, and seek out the best accuracy, doing what I can to improve the firearm to my expectations.

For those of you guys that don't want one... Ok no difference to me ! Lol