• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

A quick primer in to Canadian gun laws

Cunuckgaucho

I'm floored. We're neighbors, and everything, I get it.  Something from another country (US) just affected your gun ownership,in your country (CA).

You guys gotta vote your reps out, just like we need to vote alot of them out.  

It's funny up here how if you try and point out states with high firearms/100K on the whole have less crime  vs places with tougher gun control measures and lower firearm(DC,Detroit and Chicago come to mind) have the worst crime stats they then go off on another tangent.

They also don't like Switzerland being used as an example where the government sends people home with a gun.

There is a glimmer of hope here in Canada in our fight,greatly in part to the internet and watching the your fight in the USA.

This is particularly interesting as the CBC(Canadian Broadcast Corporation) is generally an anti gun propaganda distributor and also receives large sums of money from the government( but hey who's worried about conflict of interest?) 

In a nutshell,anti gun government skews stats to push anti gun agenda.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/gun-crime-goodale-canada-1.4585097

Here's the twitter feed announcement on the official liberals site...enjoy the comments

https://twitter.com/liberal_party/status/976852328534937600?s=12

^^^  One thing I noticed in that video, when she was comparing US gun laws to CA gun laws, that was WILDLY innaccurate was:  "No background checks at gun shows or online in 31 States..."

You can't buy a firearm online in the US without it being shipped to an FFL - directly.  No other way.  You buy online, it ships to the FFL of your choice - once your FFL sends them their license.  You fill out the ATF Form 4473 to obtain said firearm from your FFL. Same thing at gun shows - all vendors that are selling firearms will process your 4473 right there.  You either get to buy it at the gun show, or not (if you're denied, delayed).

The only thing you can do without a 4473 is face-to-face private sales, in many states.  That doesn't require the 4473 at a dealer.  Some of that might happen AT a gun show location - in the parking lot - but it never happens inside the gun shows.  All states. Never happens... 

1 minute ago, 98Z5V said:

but it never happens inside the gun shows.  All states. Never happens... 

See it all the time in several states. Private people rent a spot at the gun show to sell and trade their private firearms collections, no FFL involved. There are promotion companies that run big shows who prohibit these transactions at their shows, FFL's only, but the small local shows generally don't have these restrictions. Seen it in Iowa, Nebraska,  South Dakota, Mississippi, North Carolina, and Arkansas for sure. Could it be this is not legal, maybe but I have seen it regularly, it happens.

Eye opening, brother.  I've never heard of this.  I've never heard of anybody inside a gun show, that sold firearms, and was not an FFL.  Non FFLs I've seen could sell parts - but they couldn't sell guns.

That's pretty damn scary, that you've seen that... Scary...

Honestly doesn't scare me that much. What I've seen is good ol'boys trading and selling with people they know or know of. Never seen it done in a manner I would consider irresponsible. Despite how screwed up society is the people I see at these small shows seem to be the good guys. I really wouldn't want it any other way, good people using good judgment will keep us safer than any government rule, regulation, or law.

4 minutes ago, 98Z5V said:

Eye opening, brother.  I've never heard of this.  I've never heard of anybody inside a gun show, that sold firearms, and was not an FFL.  Non FFLs I've seen could sell parts - but they couldn't sell guns.

I went to the gun show in Dallas today and saw a few private sale tables. There were not many because the economics don't work out unless you can sell several guns.  This is no scarier than any other face to face transaction. 

1 minute ago, Armed Eye Doc said:

This is no scarier than any other face to face transaction. 

If I'd ever sell face-to-face, it wouldn't be to a stranger.  That's just me, but I'd never sell one of my guns to an "unknown." 

Lucky for me, my mantra is "Buy, Don't Sell..."  :laffs:

Edited by 98Z5V

If I'd ever sell face-to-face, it wouldn't be to a stranger.  That's just me, but I'd never sell one of my guns to an "unknown." 

But those face to face sales happen everywhere without your or my integrity.  They happen through Internet forums, word of mouth, estate sales, garage sales and all manner of other unregulated sales.  There are plenty of good and bad people.buying guns in this way.  There is no way to monitor all sales even with mandatory registration.  That only gets the law abiding people. 

I bought a nano at cost at a gun show. right off the table. called a ffl budy to see if he could beat the price, he said buy it.. two years later its a no go in my state. all transfers have to run through nicks. im in d town these days and its only getting tighter for restrictions..

Edited by sketch
stupid shits

1 hour ago, 98Z5V said:

I found this, Brother Gaucho - it's from 2016.  Still pretty accurate?

It's reasonably accurate in the steps needed to get a firearms licence.

A lot of Canadian and I suspect some Americans believe you can just walk in to a gun shop and walk out with no check of any sort. Here in Canada I can walk in buy a non-restricted class firearm by showing my licence but there is no call or on line check done by store( we don't have NICS system up here). Restricted firearms require a transfer of ownership to occur before the transfer of the firearm.

Another difference is that a store or person selling a firearm can mail that firearm(all classes) directly to the purchaser and no need to go through a FFL dealer. For my US purchases I work with two FFL dealers that have a warehouse in Canada and from there it's mailed directly to me.

The new laws the current government will likely change this but if we can delay it long enough, the government will have to resubmit and re table the legislation.Even media the is generally anti gun is pointing out issues with these new laws and government manipulating the number s to further their anti gun agenda.

don't know what states some of you live in where no private sales occur inside. it is normal at gun shows in florida to walk around with a little info flag taped to a pencil stuck in the muzzle when you are trying to sell a rifle.  And the premium rental  tables are right at the entrance where the table renter can get first crack at people carrying in a firearm they want to sell. 

it is privately owned property, i am not selling as a business, I am not knowingly selling to a person who is not allowed to own it( I can see where it would be nice for anyone to be able to check NICS), i ask for a drivers license to verify residency and feel really good if they have a CW permit .

I'm not against private sales, at all - fully support it. I'm against private sales inside a gun show, though, - inside the walls of the gun show - because of all the shiit the gun-haters talk all the time.  The only two states that I've been to gun shows in were VA (local VFW had one every other month, and the Dulles Gun Show - 1,000 tables, and HUGE).  Also in AZ.  No private sales of firearms inside, in both of those places...   and I understand why they have that...  Want to make a private sale at those sites - do it in the parking lot...

follow the money.  Dealers who are FFL's don't want to pay for tables and then have to compete with people paying the $5 entrance fee and competing for customers.  I bet those same dealers will buy guns from private sellers inside the venue and lay them right down on their tables with a price tag.

1 hour ago, terrt_tr6 said:

I bet those same dealers will buy guns from private sellers inside the venue and lay them right down on their tables with a price tag.

They have to receive it into the book, then.  It's inventory, at that point.  Not worth losing your FFL over when your books are jacked up.

I understand, that is not the issue. it only takes minutes and no cost to do that paperwork.  Believe me, they only offer a price that allows them to resale at a good profit.  No issue with that , they have expenses and need to make a living.  But they don't want you to sell privately for more than they would pay or buy for less than they would charge. 

I have several close friend who did gun shows for a living and understand the reality. Believe me, if you show up at a gun show frequently selling "private sales" or flipping guns, the ATF is soon on you.  You can get away with an inheritance sale of multiple guns, but you will get watched.  And i suspect the dealers do most of the tip offs of people abusing private sales.  But normal people occasionally buying or selling for their private collection are not hassled.  at least not in florida