• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Long disappointed sigh PA10 failure to eject

Bud

After 24 successful purchases from PSA over the last six years, I finally bought a boat anchor. Bought both the PA10 lower and the 18" SS upper on separate orders and tried (emphasis "tried") to fire it on Saturday. First round failed to eject.  Had to separate the upper from the lower in order to tap out the cartridge with a brass barrel rod. The rim of the cartridge had been ripped off by the ejector. Reassembled the gun, loaded another round and the exact same thing happened including having to remove the upper to tap out the cartridge. Sent an email to Josiah from PSA and also used the Contact form on the PSA website for help in returning the upper and bcg for either repair or replacement. And of course, have heard........crickets.

Well, not crickets because I havr received three new ads from them since Saturday morning.

IMG_0077.jpg

1 hour ago, Bud said:

After 24 successful purchases from PSA over the last six years, I finally bought a boat anchor. Bought both the PA10 lower and the 18" SS upper on separate orders and tried (emphasis "tried") to fire it on Saturday. First round failed to eject.  Had to separate the upper from the lower in order to tap out the cartridge with a brass barrel rod. The rim of the cartridge had been ripped off by the ejector. Reassembled the gun, loaded another round and the exact same thing happened including having to remove the upper to tap out the cartridge. Sent an email to Josiah from PSA and also used the Contact form on the PSA website for help in returning the upper and bcg for either repair or replacement. And of course, have heard........crickets.

Well, not crickets because I havr received three new ads from them since Saturday morning.

caus

Both those primers look flattened, and cratered.

Take it back out with different ammo.  I haven't seen ZQI cause a problem before, and haven't run across any that's been loaded hot, so something else in your rifle might be causing pressure issues.  But, different ammo is the first step.

15 hours ago, mley1 said:

Did you thoroughly clean the bore and chamber prior to firing? I do that with any new rifle to ensure there isn’t any factory lube, dirt, metal shavings, or anything else in the action, chamber, and bore. 

It's on the way back thanks to Josiah the PSA rep that is subscribed to the forum

Glad to hear Josiah is gonna take care of you Bud. PSA will make good on your rifle. Like others have said, their large frame PA10 platform has had it's issues. There's a few of us who have gotten our rifles to perform well. I love mine. It's shooting well. The one issue I had was a broken extractor and Josiah took care of me on that real quick.

I haven't had any real issues with mine yet in 460 rounds, but I've noticed I'm best off shooting Federal ammo if I plan to reload the brass. The Hornady brass must be softer because part of the rim is pretty much ripped clean off nearly every case by the ejector. Ejection is about 1 o'cock.

1 hour ago, dubya said:

I haven't had any real issues with mine yet in 460 rounds, but I've noticed I'm best off shooting Federal ammo if I plan to reload the brass. The Hornady brass must be softer because part of the rim is pretty much ripped clean off nearly every case by the ejector. Ejection is about 1 o'cock.

You might need a heavier buffer, to slow that down a little bit. You're running a bit fast.  Hornady brass is good brass, and it shouldn't be ripping off rims.   Post up the specs on that rifle, if you don't mind - recoil system as well.

On 3/27/2018 at 11:35 PM, 98Z5V said:

You might need a heavier buffer, to slow that down a little bit. You're running a bit fast.  Hornady brass is good brass, and it shouldn't be ripping off rims.   Post up the specs on that rifle, if you don't mind - recoil system as well.

Its a pretty much bone stock PA10 Gen 2 with the stainless 20" barreled upper and rifle length gas. I'm not positive but I think the buffer is a standard 3oz and I have a M41 brake installed. 

I do plan on adding a Sentry adjustable gas block in the near future. I'll post a pic of the hornady brass compared to the federal brass when I get home. 

7 hours ago, dubya said:

Its a pretty much bone stock PA10 Gen 2 with the stainless 20" barreled upper and rifle length gas. I'm not positive but I think the buffer is a standard 3oz and I have a M41 brake installed.

PSA has had some serious issues getting a collapsible stock system right.  They've put together all kinds of parts that don't work well together - that's why I'm asking for your recoil system details.

Internal depth of the receiver extension.  Relaxed length of the biffer spring, coil count, and possible wire diameter.  Buffer weight, and length.

If it's a 3oz buffer, I'm telling you now it's too light.  You need something H3-weighted, about 5.4oz at the minimum.

14 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

PSA has had some serious issues getting a collapsible stock system right.  They've put together all kinds of parts that don't work well together - that's why I'm asking for your recoil system details.

Internal depth of the receiver extension.  Relaxed length of the biffer spring, coil count, and possible wire diameter.  Buffer weight, and length.

If it's a 3oz buffer, I'm telling you now it's too light.  You need something H3-weighted, about 5.4oz at the minimum.

I just checked the PA10 buffer (orange), it's definitely heavier than my 5.56 Carbine 3oz buffer (clear) by feel, I don't have a scale handy though. The spring is 11.5" long with 29 coils (I think) and it's a PA10 rifle length buffer tube. 

It's looking like it's overgassed or the action is too fast without a doubt. The buffer and receiver extension threads are getting beat up prematurely after less than 500 rounds. I think I'll put this one out of service until I can get my hands on an adjustable gas block and Tubbs flat spring. ?

I may have gas/timing issues but haven't had any issues with 440 rds of Federal Lake City & Anoka ammo, or the one box of Hornady Black I've fired. I was surprised to see the Hornady have a damaged rim but the Federal doesn't have as much as a scratch. 

Resized_20180330_104357_4697.jpeg

Resized_20180330_104922_9124.jpeg

Internal depth of my buffer tube is about 7.75"

Spring wire diameter is 5/64" or 1.85mm

Buffer length is 3.25"

Two of my buddies ordered complete PA10 Gen 2 lowers yesterday, one a basic version and the other has the ACS stock and EPT trigger group. I'll share their specs here when they arrive. 

Edited by dubya

You have a rifle recoil system (tube and somewhat, on the spring), but it's got a carbine buffer in it that's 3.250" long.  That's a serious mistake on their part.  You should have a rifle buffer in there that is 5.200" long, and weigh more than 5oz.

They boned that one up pretty bad.I'd shitcan that spring for an Armalite EA1095 spring.

Edited by 98Z5V

1 hour ago, 98Z5V said:

You have a rifle recoil system (tube and somewhat, on the spring), but it's got a carbine buffer in it that's 3.250" long.  That's a serious mistake on their part.  You should have a rifle buffer in there that is 5.200" long, and weigh more than 5oz.

They boned that one up pretty bad.I'd shitcan that spring for an Armalite EA1095 spring.

Okay, I'll order one of those. Is there any temporary trick like sticking a couple quarters in the tube? I've had nearly a dozen AR15s but never had to mess with the recoil system other than gas blocks, and this is my first 308 AR platform. Hopefully I can learn enough to help my two buddies get theirs running smoothly, if needed. 

The other thing I was curious about without tearing mine apart, is the barrel dimpled for the gas block? The SLR Sentry 7 is what I'm planning on ordering, along with the spring you suggested. 

Oh, it's gonna be more than a couple...

Stack enough quarters to make up the difference between your (current) carbine buffer, at 3.250" long, to make it as long as a 308AR rifle buffer length of 5.200" long.  You need to make up the difference of 1.950".  Quarters are 0.069" thick.  You'll need 7 bucks.  28 quarters.  I shiit you not.

Buffer and spring come out.  Quarters go in, so they're at the back/on the bottom of the receiver extension.  Then spring and buffer go back in. Test it - make sure you can pull the charging handle back, and the bolt face clears the bolt catch - but not by much.

Don't worry about doing this, either, no matter what anyone says.  It's common on pistol-caliber AR builds.  You need a buck seventy five on those.

Edited by 98Z5V

5 hours ago, dubya said:

The other thing I was curious about without tearing mine apart, is the barrel dimpled for the gas block? The SLR Sentry 7 is what I'm planning on ordering, along with the spring you suggested. 

No idea on that.  Pulling the gas block is the way to find out.

On 3/30/2018 at 1:14 PM, dubya said:

Mine was dimpled. I have the 18" SS barrel.

53 minutes ago, mley1 said:

Mine was dimpled. I have the 18" SS barrel.

I actually just ordered a JP Enterprises clamp on adj gas block this morning. It was $50 cheaper than the SLR and all the reviews were 5 star for it so I figured its worth a shot. 

23 hours ago, dubya said:

I actually just ordered a JP Enterprises clamp on adj gas block this morning. It was $50 cheaper than the SLR and all the reviews were 5 star for it so I figured its worth a shot. 

JP makes good stuff. I used the Anderson Manufacturing adjustable gas block. It was an exact fit for my barrel, almost like it was oem.

AM15 Adjustable gas block.

• 2 weeks later...

HUGE thank you to Josiah. He got me a shipping label to return the upper immediately. Had the upper sent back to PSA and received it back in time to fire it in and take it on a trip. I will get it sighted in today. Josiah from PSA was a great help in getting this resolved. PSA did not give any idea of what was wrong but no problem, it works now.

3 hours ago, Bud said:

HUGE thank you to Josiah. He got me a shipping label to return the upper immediately. Had the upper sent back to PSA and received it back in time to fire it in and take it on a trip. I will get it sighted in today. Josiah from PSA was a great help in getting this resolved. PSA did not give any idea of what was wrong but no problem, it works now.

Josiah is a stand up man, and is a great person all a round, certainly someone that we could all be friends with if he was close by . He has done a fantastic job helping PSA overcome CS issues in ways we haven't seen. He is an invaluable asset to PSA and has all the connections desired to help us.
I have seen ( personally ) his outstanding level of commitment to helping us working men and women enjoy our PSA products.

I can't say enough good about all the PSA folks... seriously.

Some people will comment about various issues... but they truly are addressing all of them as fast as they can.

The future for PSA is very bright... as we will see in my up coming posts.

If you guys get a chance... view the video about PSA I linked to, It warmed my stony KoolAid pumpin' heart to see such a Patriotic company company having our "6"... Yes, shameless plug for PSA.