• Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

2018 308AR.com Fall Shoot Info

Matt.Cross
Message added by Matt.Cross

Shoot dates are now confirmed.

Oct. 18th-21st 

Can't wait to see you there!

That's right you bunch of mouth- breathing, knuckle-dragging, slack-jawed deviants and misfits, the 2018 Fall Shoot is happening!

The powers that be have determined that a Fall Shoot is in order, and as such you the 308ar.com community are invited!

This thread will serve as the primary sounding board for availability and general ideas for the Fall Shoot, all input is most welcome. Proposed dates and other input to follow, so stay tuned!

• Replies 652
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Night Shoots have become a regular, mandatory activity on the last two shoots.  Yeah, bring a pistol light and a carbine light (or one light that works on both), so we can shoot some short-course stuff at night.  Check.  Got it.

We shoot distance at night.  Distances at the Fall Shoot 2017 were 200 yards and 450 yards, at night.  Long gun. For Spring Shoot 2018, we shot 375 yards. 

One thing we discovered between those two shoots...  We had a full moon at FS17, and NO MOON at SS18.  Didn't hinder us, in the spring...  but MAN, WAS IT BADASS LAST FALL!!!  We didn't need to artificially light the target that night.  You shot with zero shooting aids (small lights on white-painted steel silhouettes).  It's amazingly easy to shoot at night, when there's SOME kind of ambient light available.  That full-moon-night showed how easy it really is, and we were smacking down some 450-yard steel.

So, on that note, here's the illum schedule/calendar for fall '18.  Here's the full moon dates:

October 24th, November 22nd, December 22nd.

We already discussed this at the Spring Shoot - MAN, was it nice having that full moon last fall!!! - when we were out there in NO ILLUM this spring...  " Let's plan the next Fall Shoot around a full moon!!!" It's on. 

We already discussed the dates, too - November 22nd is pretty damn close to some family-time Thanksgiving.  December 22nd is pretty damn close to some family-time Christmas.  That leaves us with the weekend around October 24th, ladies and gents.

Oct18.png.45304464fcb9ac3eb2a5fce24a2517f3.png

24 Oct 18 is a Wednesday. 

Pick the weekend before, or the weekend after, attendees.  We'll have good illum both weekends.

THAT will be the dates planned for Fall Shoot 2018. Let's hear what ya got.

Edited by 98Z5V

17 minutes ago, sketch said:

gotta see what the job entails? cant commit ?or sell my damn house and ya know.

We're just lobbing darts across a pitch-black basement for right now. When you know what you can do for sure, PM me or Tom and/or post it here. The main idea here is to let folks know what we're thinking in order to negotiate the best outcome. I know everyone's schedules won't coincide perfectly, but that's just how it is....

7 minutes ago, Matt.Cross said:

I know everyone's schedules won't coincide perfectly, but that's just how it is....

I'm thinkin' that everyone has better than 6 months to figure their schedules out...

If they can't get that done, then...    :bitchslap:

Edited by 98Z5V

1 hour ago, Malig8r said:

According to Tom’s pretty chart the % lum is better on the weekend of the 27th. 

True, but the difference is negligible provided there's no cloud cover.

We will have target illumination regardless, it's just a question of whether or not the moonlight will suffice on whatever weekend folks are able to come.

You should plan on being there brother....

I plan on making the trip :thumbup: 

It’ll be a road trip from Michigan for me. Just need the date and packing list. Ammo? Check

Bang-sticks? Check

Ar550 steel target??? Maybe???

Figure one of the regulars will PM me with necessities and suggestions. :cool:

10 minutes ago, Malig8r said:

I plan on making the trip :thumbup: 

It’ll be a road trip from Michigan for me. Just need the date and packing list. Ammo? Check

Bang-sticks? Check

Ar550 steel target??? Maybe???

Figure one of the regulars will PM me with necessities and suggestions. :cool:

I rolled in last year with my truck, tent and guns, oh and of course beer. We argued over who’s food we’d eat!!

basic camping gear

guns/ammo

hat and sun screen (if your a pale yank like me) 

and be ready for your cheeks and belly to hurt from laughing

thanks brothers i hope to make a couple by then and hone my skills.. its a complement to the gang of 308! 

made from : its just time to get out of my house,  retreat to the hidy hole and stay out of trouble.. and tinker in the garage. 

Dont forget to change the smoke bats! thanks shepp?

On March 26, 2018 at 9:02 PM, 98Z5V said:

We need to make the Fall Shoot longer this time.  By a couple days.

One Long Range Day.  Only.

One Long Range High Angle Day.  Up in the rocks, targets on the valley floor.

Another 2 days dedicated to shenanigans, short and midrange rifle/pistol, night shoots, etc. 

It's gotta happen...  

Also, as discussed last year...we need people to own each of these days or seperate events. Tom can't be responsible. And he can't handle being in charge of everything either. 

In order to make sure we actually accomplish the various tasks we plan out, we need someone to pick an event and take charge of it. You will be responsible for planning your event, setting up the course and pushing us all into line. I've noticed there seems to be a little A.D.D. In this group and we have trouble with time management. The night shoots started because we were bullshittin all day and the sun disappeared. 

22 hours ago, unforgiven said:

Frame/bullet magnet.....  :thumbup:

I'll start working on some more bullet resistant designs. Probably pick up some more steel for this year too. I have another idea in the works for targets, but we'll see where that goes before I go too much into explaining. 

An itinerary or schedule wouldn't hurt anything either, being that a few folks will probably just hang out at camp and shoot pistol or carbine during the Long Range and High Angle days, and yet more folks possibly moving between the two.

Meals are also something that could use coordinating. I vote for having community breakfast and supper at camp, and lunch will be every man for himself on location. Something like sandwich provisions and drinks, etc.

What are you guys thoughts on all that?

3 hours ago, DNP said:

I'll start working on some more bullet resistant designs. Probably pick up some more steel for this year too. I have another idea in the works for targets, but we'll see where that goes before I go too much into explaining. 

T-posts and chain are working great.  It's all I've been using since last Fall Shoot.  Got my own 16lb t-post driver now, too.  The t-posts will live - if we shoot the target...  :thumbup::lmao:

I've been using the carriage bolts through the target, securing chain to target.  I use parachute cord to secure the chain to the t-post, and tie it off so the target hangs even, vertically.  Works great.  The only time it gave us grief was when a knot loosened up, the target tilted.  It was an easy fix. 

Edited by 98Z5V