• Visit EuroOptic
  • Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

PA10 GEN II, My Findings On Parts Info and Range Data (Log)

Hey all,

This is going to be more of a log, of info and data over time from start to... As long as I keep the rifle.

I want to build a thread that adds to the data that has already been collected by other running the PA10 on this forum. I'm curious to see if my finding over time match what others have found or if they differ.

The goal  
I'm going to try to keep my information as accurate as possible. Findings Good and Bad.

Report all the parts  used in my upper and lower. What Is needed to make them work if anything. 
Report range and ammo information from steel case to hand loads. 
Report on reliability of the parts and overall as a whole firearm. 
Report  accuracy, Ammo and parts that help if any. 

I will also be reporting for a 2nd PA10, my father's 20" PA 10 that he got as a complete upper and lower. 
If he has any problems and the fix needed if any. Also any mods done to the gun. 
He is a big hand loader so I will be reporting our finding on hand loads for both my 18" gun and his 20" 

Why do all this?
I know a lot of good info is already out there about the PA 10 (thanks bfoosh and others) . I would like to just add to it, it also gives me a project to work on that's fun. For me shooting is a nice way to get away from the daily grind of life. I'm sure others on this forum feel this way too. 
If I take the time to document the PA10 it will help me learn and improve on this platform. That will also take time. This keeps me from buying another gun right away and that makes the wife happy. Har har :bat:.  Just Kidding she is cool with it.

To get started
 Note this thread for my experience with PSA customer service involving my PA10.
Another good PA 10 information thread.

Here are my findings on the lower parts kit  and any other lower parts I got. I will also list part details. 
The lower is a striped  PSA GEN 2
From my reading you can use everything from the AR15 lpk other than (bolt catch, mag catch, takedown pin and pivot pin.) I picked the PA10 upgrade kit when it was in stock from PSA.
The PA 10 upgrade it includes (bolt catch, mag catch, takedown pin and pivot pin.) So just need to buy both or piece it together. 
This all looks to be true BUT the Mag catch looks the same to me? see photos below.
I may upgrade the Buffer spring, tube and buffer at some point. To start I wanted to use PSAs parts to unsure function.  

Ill break this all down into a few post to help keep track of everything.   
 Others feel free to add any helpful information as you see fit. 
Parts list
PSA Gen2 PA10 18" Midlength .308 WIN 1:10 Stainless Steel 15" M-lok Lightweight Upper - With BCG and CH

PSA Ten-Year Anniversary AR-15/PA-10 Stripped Lower Receiver Set With Matching Serial Numbers

PSA PA10 UPGRADE KIT

PSA AR-15 EPT MOE Lower Parts Kit 

PSA PA10 Buffer Tube

PSA PA10 Black Logo Buffer

PSA PA10 Carbine Buffer Spring

Strike Industries Multi-Function End Plate w/ Anti-Rotation Castle Nut in Black, Black

See mag catch, The "Darker" one is from the 15kit.

20180405_180028.jpg

20180405_180418.jpg

20180405_180446.jpg

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The deference in the bolt catch, takedown pin and pivot pin are very obvious.

The trigger group is PSAs EPT so we will see if its any better than Mill spec. It was $6 more and came with MOE grip that does not fit flush on the beaver tail. I have a hogue I will replace it with later. 

So here is the PA10 upgrade kit vs the Ar15 parts. As well as the trigger, hammer and grip

see below

20180405_175712.jpg

20180405_175902.jpg

20180405_180523.jpg

20180405_181530.jpg

20180405_182032.jpg

Moving on the to buffer spring, tube and buffer. The buffer tube and buffer weight are both marked PA10. You can also see that the Strike Industries Multi-Function End Plate, fits the lower and buffer tube with no problems that I can see.

Here is what they sent me. 

20180402_185412.jpg

20180402_185438.jpg

20180402_185446.jpg

20180402_185507.jpg

20180405_163127.jpg

20180405_163148.jpg

20180405_181154.jpg

20180402_185527.jpg

This is excellent work!  This will be invaluable to future PSA owners, and all of us, really.  It's a great addition to the PSA info that's already here, big time.

If I might add - get the details (pic) of the internal depth of that receiver extension.  I see an issue getting ready to happen with your rifle.  :thumbup:

23 minutes ago, 98Z5V said:

This is excellent work!  This will be invaluable to future PSA owners, and all of us, really.  It's a great addition to the PSA info that's already here, big time.

If I might add - get the details (pic) of the internal depth of that receiver extension.  I see an issue getting ready to happen with your rifle.  :thumbup:

OHH, I think I see what your getting at.  I'll get one (a pic) when I get home later today. Thanks for the feedback!

2 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

Is this what your looking for? Or did you want to see it on the lower?

20180406_153523.jpg

Looks like  I have.

My Buffer           =  3.8oz / OAL 2.5"                          =Older / DPMS / Shorter

My tube         =   4.oz / OAL 7 7/8" without nut    = New / Armalite / Longer

My spring is =  1.48oz / OAL 11 3/8" / 29coils    =   New / Armalite / Longer

This is based off looking at this thread.

Just what I thought - you put that together and run it, and you'll have your BCG crashing into the ears on the lower receiver.

The buffer is too short.  It's 2.5" long.  That receiver extension is pretty close to 7 5/8" internal depth - 7 5/8" depth is the target, but that's not the point.

That 2.5" long buffer is designed to be run in an AR15 Carbine receiver extension, with an internal depth of 7.000".

You need a buffer that's 3.250" long, in order to run that recoil system correctly.  It should also be weighted as an aH3 buffer, to properly run a 308 (minimum weight).

Wrong combo of parts for your recoil system to run right.  Damage to the lower receiver is positively gonna happen if you run it with that combo of parts.

YUUUP.. Ill just send that back to PSA and Pick up a H3 AR15 carbine buffer (right ?). I can't believe they are still shipping them out with the long tube and spring?! :bat:

So if you don't order the KIT that is never in stock you are SOL!

Hare are the Part #s.

My Buffer           =  3.8oz / OAL 2.5"          =Older / DPMS /  DO NOT WANT.     PSA PA10 Black Logo Buffer - 482663 (OLD BAD)

My tube         =   4.oz / OAL 7 7/8" without nut    = New / Armalite / Longer

PSA PA10 Carbine Buffer Spring - 504269 (NEW GTG)

My spring is =  1.48oz / OAL 11 3/8" / 29coils    =   New / Armalite / Longer

PSA PA10 Buffer Tube - 506797  (NEW GTG)

I noticed you got the EPT trigger. I did too. On mine, I added a JP Enhanced Reliability Spring Kit. The spring kit was easy to install, cheap, and made my trigger both lighter, and smoother. I really like it a lot. No light strikes or malfunctions with this spring kit.

JP Enhanced Reliability Spring Kit for the trigger and hammer.

Edited by mley1

22 minutes ago, mley1 said:

I noticed you got the EPT trigger. I did too. On mine, I added a JP Enhanced Reliability Spring Kit. The spring kit was easy to install, cheap, and made my trigger both lighter, and smoother. I really like it a lot. No light strikes or malfunctions with this spring kit.

JP Enhanced Reliability Spring Kit for the trigger and hammer.

8 minutes ago, 98Z5V said:

That's correct - that's exactly what you need.  :thumbup:

Mlay1

Thanks for the link I have been reading up on JP springs. Seems very good for the price.

Good eye  on that buffer 98z5v. Thanks for confirming that. 

41 minutes ago, GoodByNAair said:

Good eye  on that buffer 98z5v. Thanks for confirming that. 

Two things caught my eye, right away.  2.5" buffer, and an external length of the receiver extension that was 8".  Dead giveaway.  That's why I asked for internal depth - maybe they had a HUGE permanent spacer in there?!  Not likely, though...

For future reference, for anyone reading this - external length on a receiver extension is just about a non-event, as far as reporting it's external length - we need the internal depth of receiver extensions to really figure out what's up.  That's just about ONLY on carbine recoil systems.

Additionally, rifle-length recoil systems are foolproof, and I don't think I've ever seen a manufacturer jack that up, ever.  It's a fixed spec, and it doesn't matter if it's 5.56-varient or Large-Platform AR.  The buffers are different, for the two, in length.  Small-Frame ARs run a rifle buffer length of 5.900".  Large-Frame ARs run a rifle buffer length of 5.200".  They operate inside the same rifle receiver extension, just with different length buffers, and different springs.

Roger that^ . At some point I may go to the rifle-length recoil system but for availability and cost this is what PSA had in stock. I'm also up for a little fine turning after I confirm something works. So when I get this all put together and working well i'll start adding things to make it hit the sweet spot. Right now I would like to just get everything assembled and make it go bang! Upgrades will come after I see the OEM configuration function.

Thank you for the helpful information.

Small update, PSA short buffer on is way back for a refund. New H3 Spikes Tac buffer ordered and should ship today. 

PSA 18" completed upper shipping out today. 

Optics to start. 

To break the rifle in I plan to just use a Barska 1-4x28 IR until I get some better glass.  I know that scope is nothing crazy but I got it 2nd hand for a deal. When I got it the plan was just this, use it for new guns or maybe leave it on a .22 LR one day. I have been surprised with it, held 0 on my  7.62x39 AR for a few hounded rounds. When I took it off it was still good.  I just was changing it up and added a red dot to that gun for now.

The plan is to go with a AP ULTRALIGHT mount and pick up a 3-9 or 4-12. I'm still undecided on optics I've just been doing research.   I'm open to suggestions?? This is some what of a budget minded project so keep that in mind. Right now with FFL ,shipping ,parts i'm in about $800. So i'm still under my goal of 1k or less (with out optics). So when I get everything together and if she goes bang every time I pull the trigger. At $800 for a (somewhat upgraded) 308 AR10 that will most likely shoot 2moa with ball ammo. I will be very happy!

Leaves some room for upgrades later on. (ADJ gas block, trigger ect.)

Thanks Mark.

9 hours ago, GoodByNAair said:

The plan is to go with a AP ULTRALIGHT mount and pick up a 3-9 or 4-12. I'm still undecided on optics I've just been doing research.   I'm open to suggestions?? This is some what of a budget minded project so keep that in mind.

Get this. Don't look back.

http://www.primaryarms.com/primary-arms-4-14x44mm-riflescope-acss-hud-dmr-308-223-reticle-pa4-14xffp308

Wait for it - just a few more days, and it's back in stock.

You won't find better, for what you've stated.

27 minutes ago, 98Z5V said:

Get this. Don't look back.

http://www.primaryarms.com/primary-arms-4-14x44mm-riflescope-acss-hud-dmr-308-223-reticle-pa4-14xffp308

Wait for it - just a few more days, and it's back in stock.

You won't find better, for what you've stated.

^^^^ I'll second this, have shot it and just wow.....

That's great to hear, that scope is on my list. Here are the 5 I've been reading up on. First 3 are my top picks and the other 2 are more budget "wildcards".

This list is based off research before comments ^^^ above 

19 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

Get this. Don't look back

18 hours ago, Matt.Cross said:

^^^^ I'll second this, have shot it and just wow.....

came into play.

Also because i'm not in a rush I may see some other great sale and pick something off the list. You know how the web works. 

Info /specs /pricing, are from optics planet. 

#1 Vortex Diamondback Tactical 4-12x40  $299     

weight =  16.2 oz = avg 

+1(Unlimited Lifetime Warranty)

#2 Primary Arms 4-14X44mm  ACSS HUD DMR  $279 

weight = 24 oz  -1 heavy imo

(2 member votes! +2 )     - 1 (3-year warranty)

#3 Vortex Diamondback HP 3-12x42mm  BDC Reticle $348  

weight = 18 oz  = avg

#4 Vortex Diamondback 3-9x40 Dead-Hold BDC $218 +1

weight = 14 oz  not bad

#5 Bushnell AR Optics 3-9x40 223 Reticle  $144  +1

weight = 21 oz  -1 heavy imo

+1  (30 year warranty)

===========================================================

So 2 votes from what seem to be very knowledgeable members say  Primary Arms hands down. That's seems like a good thing. Any other feed back on the other optics I listed. Is the weight of the PA really worth that sweet ACSS reticle ? I know the 308s are heavy but every bit counts. 

Thanks again gents:thumbup:

Edited by GoodByNAair

6 minutes ago, GoodByNAair said:

So 2 votes from what seem to be very knowledgeable members say  Primary Arms hands down. That's seems like a good thing. Any other feed back on the other optics I listed. Is the weight of the PA really worth that sweet ACSS reticle ? I know the 308s are heavy but every bit counts. 

Thanks again gents:thumbup:

It's not just a sweet reticle, it's overall good kit from an extremely reputable company, and it performs like a champ.

I don't live to far from my work. So at lunch I ran home because UPS had sent me that email that my upper was on my back deck. Just looking over it real quick, looks good! I'll go into detail more if needed. just wanted to share that 4 days after my phone call with PSA I got the upper.  :banana: Good work PSA.

20180411_094815.jpg

20180411_094827.jpg

On 4/6/2018 at 9:59 AM, 98Z5V said:

Yup.