• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Epoxy for fiberglass?

blue109

The "dome" for my pool filter cracked. I tried a 2 part epoxy and it didnt hold. I bought a marine epoxy for boats. Said it holds 30k psi. It held for a while but I think it flexed too much when I was removing the dome to clean the filter out (yes, its swim weather in AZ) I sanded and coated the inside and outside but the inside is tight and hard to prep. Any ideas on a better way to seal this up? Maybe a bigger/thicker patch? 

20180407_104203.jpg

Edited by blue109

1 minute ago, sketch said:

jb marine weld

^^^  Shiit rocks.  I fix carbs with it, when the carb body or float bowl gets cracked.  Don't underestimate dirt people, that fuk shiit up in dirt...

Bastards could break an anvil in a sandpit...   :lmao:

If that is poly, I dont know of many epoxy's that will stick. I patched a RV water tank once using a p-tex welding gun. Run it up to the ski shop on Mt Lemon and see if the will weld it with. Most ski shops have it available to repair bases on ski's. Best that i can come up with.

My only thought is to wrap it with fiberglas cloth, epoxy over it to remove flex, then try some of that super duct type tape they advertise that is waterproof and super adhesive then coat over the crack and tape with epoxy. Might be cheaper just to find out what a replacement housing costs if the manufacturer still has them.

Its pretty old and brittle. Im not confident that drilling it wont just cause it to get worse. The crack is almost right on the 90` edge.  I think ill try the cloth and make the patch larger/thicker. It lifted the patch a little so its not sticking to the housing very well,  but it also ripped through the epoxy right at the crack location. ill try and fill the under side really heavy this time and if that doesnt stop it I guess ill start shopping. 

Nobody in this house even goes in the stupid pool. Every year I threaten to turn it into a fish pond.

Edited by blue109

blue, your last comment is why 12 years ago i buried an 18' above ground pool 1/2 way in the ground (fun couple days with a bobcat).  last year after the pool being used once by my daughter here on vacation, I pulled the plug, hooked the pool wall to the truch and pulled it out.  A day later a dump truck poured 2 loads into the hole and now i mow it.

Those composite filter housings expand and contract quite a bit when in use (10-30PSI) I would find a good epoxy type sealer that can flex and try it on the inside so the pressure will try to force it into the crack - also roughen up the surface you are trying to get the sealer to stick to so you will get better adhesion.