• Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Feed ramp Question

MinnMD66

Hello everyone

I was just hoping that someone on the forum could help me out with a feed issue that I've been having. 

As you can see from the pictures, there is a bit of a transition problem between the receiver and the barrel extension feed ramp. My plan is to mill out the material on the receiver area to match the feed ramps and just needed to know if this is a bad idea or not. 

20180409_155055.jpg

20180409_160015.jpg

20180409_155704.jpg

The receiver is aero precision and the barrel is an Anderson. I picked it up used already assembled so I don't know all the details about everything. All I know is the guy said he didn't have any feed issues when i bought it, well low and behold I have feed issues. It seems to be limited to soft points for some reason. They jam to the top of the chamber if that's any help. 

14 minutes ago, MinnMD66 said:

The receiver is aero precision and the barrel is an Anderson. I picked it up used already assembled so I don't know all the details about everything. All I know is the guy said he didn't have any feed issues when i bought it, well low and behold I have feed issues. It seems to be limited to soft points for some reason. They jam to the top of the chamber if that's any help. 

The nature of the problem is the soft points, not the feed ramps. The short answer is to avoid soft points.

9 minutes ago, MinnMD66 said:

Oh and this is my first ever Ar build so get ready to pull your hair out Sketch buddy. I'm sure I probably won't make sense on some of this stuff. 

Dremel Chainsaw Sharpening Bit.  In your Dremel. That aluminum receiver will be forced to blend with the barrel extension feed ramps, whether it likes it or not.

First, you need this:

I'd pick one of the more expensive ones, with variable speed control. Without a doubt.

ca0aabba-29e3-4502-bb73-68c3fd22abab?t=1

This is the bit you need - this thing makes SHORT WORK of bad feedramp problems... Chainsaw Sharpening Bits..

s-l225.jpg

Let us know how it turns out.  :thumbup:

• 3 months later...
4 hours ago, blue109 said:

Would not recommend dremmeling anything to a guy on his first AR build lol. 

Old post or not, I agree with him. I don't trust myself with a dremmel most of the time, would rather send my stuff off to one of the half blind old guys with the shakes. haha.

14 minutes ago, ARTrooper said:

would rather send my stuff off to one of the half blind old guys with the shakes. haha.

I'll take that challenge - and I'll attack that thing, straighten your feed ramps out, polish it all out, and have it back on the way to you over the weekend... 

Quit being scared to work on your guns, guys...  :lmao::laffs:

In both of my Aero uppers the barrel extension fits all the way to the inside face of the upper, IE they don't have the transition step that is in the pics MinMD66 posted.

(sorry for the crap pic, but hopefully you get what I'm saying).

This I believe is possibly the issue that some are having with buffers being chewed up on the front face, if the barrel extension is forward of the face in the receiver then the bolt group is going to be in battery that much further forward, allowing the buffer to also travel that much further forward and contact the retainer.

Sorry I don't know how to link this to the other recent psot that someone made about buffer damage.

That's my 2 cents worth for today?

Extension.jpg

Edited by 308kiwi

25 minutes ago, Matt.Cross said:

Save yourself some money, know your limitations! Pay no attention to that guy over on your other shoulder...

Stop, already.  Quit being pus$ys and start cutting some guns up - know what they do, what they're supposed to do, and fix the problems.

This will help PSA and Anderson owners, right away.  I meant that, just as it sounded.

9 minutes ago, 308kiwi said:

In both of my Aero uppers the barrel extension fits all the way to the inside face of the upper, IE they don't have the transition step that is in the pics MinMD66 posted.

(sorry for the crap pic, but hopefully you get what I'm saying).

Caught that right away.

I would think that's a barrel-manufacturing problem, before I'd think it's an Aero-has-issues-making-M5-uppers problem.  That's just based on my personal history with Aero Precision products, which is about 4 x 308 guns and probably 15 x small-frame ARs.  I seriously need to count these things.

Agreed.

Both my 308 upper and my 243 upper, (one is an M5 Aero the other is an M5E Aero), I barrelled using BAT Machine barrel extensions and they both fit flush to the inside face, without MinMD66 pulling the barrel and measuring the distance from the end of the extension to the shoulder that seats against the front of the upper thread we will never know.

16 minutes ago, 98Z5V said:

Stop, already.  Quit being pus$ys and start cutting some guns up - know what they do, what they're supposed to do, and fix the problems.

I can't. Everything I build runs like a champ, except for that one lockback issue with the oversized buffer on the MA TEN of course.... and I did fix it but it was too easy.

I guess I need to get myself a PSA PA-10 and document the turd polishing process.

37 minutes ago, Matt.Cross said:

I guess I need to get myself a PSA PA-10 and document the turd polishing process.

No need to go that extreme, it's already been done and documented.  Be brave, my brother.

Dive straight in - right in - to the Anderson Manufacturing thing we're starting to see now.  Get into that, my brother.

This is so much proof it's not even funny. PSA makes so much high-quality, badass AR15 stuff- because the TDP is out there, and it's a template to follow, and any monkey manufacturer can find the prints and make it.

Anderson Manufacturing is the same way, and many times, even cheaper than PSA, in all regards. Anderson kills it with AR15 parts, if you're building your own...

BOTH of these manufacturers can't figure out large-frame AR shiit, and one of these manufacturers has even been offered and GIVEN A MAP to get their shiit straight - but it doesn't happen.  They don't listen. 

The other manufacturer in this conversation doesn't even know about this place, and all these fixes, and won't even know that their shiit is all jacked.  Clueless.

And yet...no matter what...  those manufacturers don't have to deal with the problems that they create, in house, in their own manufacturing facilities. They either don't listen, or they DO listen and don't care.  It can be nothing else but those two things.  It just can't.  They BOTH have no clue that people have serious issues with the functionality of their large-frame weapons, and those people DON'T call the manufacturer - THOSE PEOPLE hop online, to this message board (that they find), and proceed to give us hell about the weapon that they bought.  Somehow, more often than not, they tell US that we're the bad guys for telling them they need to spend more money to fix the shiit they were sold.  WE are the bad guys.  Know where that comes from, PSA and Anderson?  YOU sold the cheapest platform that you could, and it's jacked, and the mentality comes out. "I spent SO much money on this, and it doesn't WORK!!!  IT SHOULD WORK FOR WHAT I SPENT!!!"   

I really want to tell them this, right here, and I'm not kidding...  IF YOU WANTED IT TO WORK, OUT OF THE BOX, THEN BUY A FUCKING LaRue!!!

Mark LaRue doesn't send shiit rifles out of his place of business.

What's really fucked up is this - If I went out and bought a 100% DPMS LR-308 rifle, from individual parts, from DPMS - each part - and I build that thing... it WILL work.  Armalite is zero questions, it'll work. 

I can't say that if I buy all the parts from PSA, and now Anderson.  I can't say that. It won't fucking work.

So, PSA, you been doing this for quite awhile, and I actually respect your ambitions.  Fix your shiit. Not for me - I won't ever own one. Fix it for your future customers, and fix it for the real, no-shiit lifetime guarantee that you offer. Fix it for YOU, and your bottom line.  You mean well, and you're doing well - and your Lifetime Guarantee will bite you right in your a$s of you don't fix the problems you have in your recoil system, and your gas system - they're linked, directly, in case that hasn't been figured out yet.  I'll clue you in - THEY'RE DIRECTLY LINKED.

Now, for Anderson Manufacturing - get out of the large-frame AR business.  Just leave.  You crush AR15-platform shiit - you kill it, and you're good at it.  Jumping into large-frame AR shiit is over your head.  WAY over your head.  You have done zero research on this, you have never seen the problems inherent in this platform, and you don't even care. Just fucking go, and stop trying.

Or, wake up, realize what the issues are (it's gonna take you years to figure this out, and MUCH research), and fix it...

That's my opinion, and you can suck it if you think I'm wrong. I'm living your world, and living your shiit products (both you companies), and people don't research your problems before they buy your cheapass platforms.

Then they come here, and get all beligerent about the problems they have when we tell them that we're tired of seeing it.

We get blamed for the shiit that you can't figure out.  PSA, you've already been given the map to success. You ignored it.  Anderson - figure it out quick, and fix it, or remain lumped into this category.

Tom-Ass out.

Edited by 98Z5V

12 minutes ago, 98Z5V said:

Dive straight in - right in - to the Anderson Manufacturing thing we're starting to see now.  Get into that, my brother.

In the machining business we have a term for the kind of product that Anderson's large ARs typify; "scrap"! My only use for it is to recycle it and make something useful out of the recycled metal.

My beef with this sub-par crap being sold is that some poor tool somewhere will stake his life on the one POS he could find that fit his budget, and it will fail him in his time of need. Don't sell junk that doesn't work, doesn't get any more simple than that.