End of Watch: Gone but never forgotten

ARTrooper

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...

Got 3 AZ State Troopers in the hospital after this one today.  They had to PIT this jackass on the I-17, in traffic, and the shots started.  The 3 Troopers are expected to be alright, but the details are still coming in...

Flawless PIT, too, at pretty good speed.  :hail:

Edited by 98Z5V

Hope they end up alright. 

For us we aren't allowed to pit unless it is under 35mph unless deadly force is justified... which based on their willingness to do it in such a busy area at a busy time, might have been the case. 

Also with us, the pitting vehicle will pit and then drive passed for his safety and to hold traffic farther down the road if possible. If you notice, the vehicle did have a very nice pit but then turned into him on purpose to force him against the guard rail. when the shots started, the officer was right up against the subject vehicle. Not good. Also other vehicles got up closer than maybe they should of too, and maybe that was because they moved up farther than planned to help the pitting vehicle. 

We train that the pitting vehicle pits and continues on. the following squads then setup a  high risk stop from 20-40 feet back and call out the occupants one at a time while we remain in cover. There might be a chance the driver tries to continue on, but already we would have a better position all around the subject and safety is more important. can always pit again later if he takes off or half the pit vehicle ready with spikes down the road. usually we spike the vehicle before we get a chance to pit anyways.

Now things don't always go as planned, especially when there are so many things that could happen in a situation that is hard to train. But sadly we have been getting in pursuits more and more frequent. Friday night, in my region there was 4 high speed pursuits in my 8 hour shift alone. But the more these guys run, the better we get at catching them and communicating with other agencies to do so. If people get away, it is usually because we let them if it isn't worth the danger to chase and we already have a way to identify them. 

I'm not LE, but they had to pit that guy, for whatever their reasons were.  I'm sure the details will be spilling out on this one, since they unloaded on him on a major highway, in traffic, in Phoenix.  As soon as they turned him (the suspect), he was firing through his own windshield, back at them all.  They unloaded on him. First shots fired were from the suspect vehicle, and as soon as he was facing them, he went after them. 

You see that damn undercover minivan roll in there at 0:28?  Whoever the guy was in the passenger seat, he was ready - he had that door propped open, ROLLING, and firing back at that white truck.  That guy deserves recognition, for certain.   They rolled right in there with bullets flying, and that guy returned some accurate fire, from a moving vehicle... 

What the news here is saying is that the Trooper injuries were mostly from flying glass - which is good.  No direct GSW.  It just sucks that this center of uranus was good enough to do even that.  He's where he needs to be now, though...

You see this? This is why a Bell helicopter and a cop armed with a semi automatic .338LM are needed for EVERY pursuit.

Fly my officer/deputy/trooper overheard....

Lean out with a low/fixed magnification scope, mounted on a .338LM platform, loaded with 300gr anti-material pills, stuffed into a 25 round drum magazine....

Three quick ones into the engine block... with enough oomph left to put a decent divot in the asphalt below. 

If the driver fails his intelligence check at that point, there’s not a vehicle available to the civilian market that’ll stop the hell that would rain down from that little Bell chopper. 

8 minutes ago, Robocop1051 said:

You see this? This is why a Bell helicopter and a cop armed with a semi automatic .338LM are needed for EVERY pursuit.

Fly my officer/deputy/trooper overheard....

Lean out with a low/fixed magnification scope, mounted on a .338LM platform, loaded with 300gr anti-material pills, stuffed into a 25 round drum magazine....

Three quick ones into the engine block... with enough oomph left to put a decent divot in the asphalt below. 

If the driver fails his intelligence check at that point, there’s not a vehicle available to the civilian market that’ll stop the hell that would rain down from that little Bell chopper. 

And we, literally, just talked on the phone about this very specific scenario... Yesterday.  The conversation was going somewhere, when you had to interrupt me with "I need to deal with this gunshot victim, gotta go..."

23 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

As soon as they turned him (the suspect), he was firing through his own windshield, back at them all. 

Exactly why the pitting vehicle wants to move out of the danger area and let the squads behind handle the subject vehicle from a safer distance in a setup that provides more cover. Everyone did a great job in this, just looking at it, I can't help but cringe. 

Here's an update on the deceased shiitbag, and some background on what happened...

https://www.azcentral.com/story/news/local/phoenix/2018/10/30/interstate-17-gunfight-phoenix-tempe-police-shootout-add-unprecedented-year/1820036002/

It was all GO as soon as they turned him.  That unmarked minivan was a Mesa unit, according to that article,which makes sense.  Whoever was in the passenger seat of that thing is a badass.  He got it done.  Last shot fired was from that minivan, after the truck went backwards into the jersey barriers. 

It's amazing that nobody reported any damage to their vehicles (that weren't part of this).  That means that all the rounds went into the intended target vehicle.  Unreal.

39 minutes ago, 98Z5V said:

It's amazing that nobody reported any damage to their vehicles (that weren't part of this).  That means that all the rounds went into the intended target vehicle.  Unreal

That will change, about two weeks ago I was in a pursuit and spiked a vehicle. a week later a citizen reported running over my spikes and getting a flat tire (mine were the only ones deployed). Why did he wait a week? and also why did we not see a broken down vehicle on the shoulder after the pursuit? hmmmm. Also I had video proof that the subject vehicle was the only vehicle that hit the spikes and no citizen vehicles were around before, during, or after the deployment into the roadway. could the citizen have hit some debris from my spikes... possibly, but still the questions above remain unanswered and he would have to have proof that it was from the spikes and not just wear and tear or your average road debris. so yeah... long story short, there is still plenty of time to call up and say their car was shot or cat killed or something else stupid as people look for handouts.

On another note... how many officer's shot through their windshields? I know if in my area we had that many do that, the county, cities, and state wouldn't have enough spare vehicles to get coverage on the road for at least a week. lol. badass, but I just thought it was funny when thinking about my small area with few officers.

1 minute ago, ARTrooper said:

On another note... how many officer's shot through their windshields? I know if in my area we had that many do that, the county, cities, and state wouldn't have enough spare vehicles to get coverage on the road for at least a week. lol. badass, but I just thought it was funny when thinking about my small area with few officers.

Quite a few, from what I've been able to find so far.  Details on this stuff went radio-silent today.  They had the highway shut down for 18 hours for the investigation, and reopened just before noon today.

Details now are hard to come by, but I found this pic - it's from a news video linked below it.  It's clear to see that those front DPS vehicles, and that undercover minivan, were firing right through their own windshields.  Again, that passenger in the minivan was on it, and the driver was gettin' it done, too.  That passenger, though - He was focused...  on one thing.

668147543_I17gunfightcars.thumb.png.b9844f6b59021d3b0a5b9feb80374e3b.png

Here's that news vid:

Pretty shocking update today - two of the weapons this dude had on him were stolen from Maricopa County Sheriff's Office... This is the written article, below - the one that just showed on local news stated that one of the weapons was full auto... Shiit gonna hit the fan here...

https://www.azfamily.com/news/weapons-recovered-after-i--gunfight-in-phoenix-were-stolen/article_46bcf2f8-dd58-11e8-927a-972878f53a3f.html

29 MCSO weapons went missing between 2010 and 2015...   The real question now is...   how many were full auto weapons?  We know at least one was...    The new Sheriff is pulling an Obama on this one, being "all Bush's fault..."  He didn't directly state that, but he's "excusing himself" from all this,by stating the timeline, and that he had the foresight to change the way weapons accountability takes place...  now... since he took over...  He's gonna try to out this all at Sheriff Joe's feet...   which it very well may land...

Yep, about 5 a year, over 6 years, if the inclusive dates are Jan 2010 to Dec 2015.  Department weapons...  We're down from 29 to 27 now - after they recovered 2 on this fuckbag...

Where are the other 27, and what's the brakedown?  How many were service pistols - but how many more are FA weapons?  We know ONE was, and the jackass used it. Everything in that PIT video makes more sense now, when you watch it again.  That guy was REALLY getting some rounds off - and so was everybody else - you can see the shiit flying out of their own windshields - and it works.

This is going to become more common, these days, where any police-stop can become a high-risk, straight up gunfight.  It's sad that it's come to this - but it has.  This wasn't a "shootout..."  It was a straight up gunfight, on a highly traveled major highway, during rush hour, in the 5th largest city in the US...

This is scary shiit, in a society such as ours, that really understands what went down... 

Edited by 98Z5V

On 10/29/2018 at 10:32 PM, 98Z5V said:

And we, literally, just talked on the phone about this very specific scenario... Yesterday.  The conversation was going somewhere, when you had to interrupt me with "I need to deal with this gunshot victim, gotta go..."

It wasn’t as exciting as it sounded... one of our neighborHOOD residents, innocently minding her own business I’m sure, got shot in the ankle in front of her apartment. They were a very fine and upstanding family.... we have to grade “good” on a curve in this neighborhood. 

I fukkin hate to have to write on this thread. But Ventura County Sheriff Sargent Ron Hellus, a 29 year veteran of the department was shot four times and killed by the assailant at the bar in a Thousand Oaks California. He left a wife and son. He didn’t sit outside when he got there, but went inside along with a California Highway Patrol officer to confront the gunman. For what its worth, Sargent, I am sitting here torn up thinking about your family’s loss. Thank you for your courage is all I can say.

Edited by Sisco

1 hour ago, Sisco said:

I fukkin hate to have to write on this thread. But Ventura County Sheriff Sargent Ron Hellus, a 29 year veteran of the department was shot four times and killed by the assailant at the bar in a Thousand Oaks California. He left a wife and son. He didn’t sit outside when he got there, but went inside along with a California Highway Patrol officer to confront the gunman. For what its worth, Sargent, I am sitting here torn up thinking about your family’s loss. Thank you for your courage is all I can say.

From what I saw on the news, that shiitbag was waiting for someone to come through that door, and shot him during entry.  RIP, warrior...