• Visit Sportsmans Guide

End of Watch: Gone but never forgotten

ARTrooper

Police Officer II Michael Wayne Smith

Henry County Police Department, Georgia

End of Watch Friday, December 28, 2018

Page Actions

Michael Wayne Smith

Police Officer Michael Smith succumbed to a gunshot wound sustained on December 6th, 2018, while struggling with a suspect at a dentist's office at 378 Jonesboro Road in McDonough.

The office staff had called police after the man entered the business and started to create a disturbance. Upon Officer Smith's arrival, the man became combative resulting in Officer Smith deploying his Taser. The Taser was ineffective and the man began to struggle with Officer Smith while attempting to disarm him of his service weapon. As Officer Smith struggled to retain control of his weapon it discharged a single round, killing the man and striking Officer Smith in the face.

Officer Smith was transported to Grady Memorial Hospital where he underwent emergency surgery. He was later transferred to Piedmont Hospital for rehabilitation but suffered complications and died on December 28th, 2018.

Officer Smith had served with the Henry County Police Department for seven years. He is survived by his wife and 3-year-old son.

Bio

• Age 33
  • Tour 7 years
  • Badge 5560

Incident Details

• Cause Gunfire
  • Incident Date Thursday, December 6, 2018
  • Weapon Officer's handgun
  • Offender Shot and killed

• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

40 minutes ago, ARTrooper said:

The last two bring up some social issues frequently talked about. Illegals who are criminals and tasers being expected to work when more often than not they don't function properly.

I blame no LEO for refusing to risk their life by utilizing a taser rather than a firearm in a situation like that. 

On ‎1‎/‎5‎/‎2019 at 10:21 PM, shepp said:

No quite a LEO but this man went outta his way to help someone in need New Year’s Eve and lost his life. I drove past his memorial today and in this small town it was moving and I salute him rip sir ??

https://www.nbc15.com/content/news/Visitation-begins-for-Lake-Mills-Fire-Department-Capt-Truman-503945891.html

Very sad. From a town I am very familiar with, have family that have always lived there and do most of my fishing there. wish I could of met this great man before he passed.

• 4 weeks later...

I haven't posted any of the resent officer deaths here lately... it is sad and exhausting. and more and more I am going to high risk calls. lately it has been multiple times a week. It feels like the world has lost their minds. It is starting to feel more like the war zone I thought I was home from.

20 hours ago, ARTrooper said:

I haven't posted any of the resent officer deaths here lately... it is sad and exhausting. and more and more I am going to high risk calls. lately it has been multiple times a week. It feels like the world has lost their minds. It is starting to feel more like the war zone I thought I was home from.

It’s hard to remember because you never see it reported but there really is more good in this world than bad. Not saying you shouldn’t worry but you gotta remember there’s good too!!

20 hours ago, ARTrooper said:

Our country is in a huge moral crisis and it gets worse every day, especially for those like you on the front lines of it. Drugs, greed and anger are killing our country. 

Judges and DAs are often times cutting breaks because of over populated jails. We need to find a way to make jails pay for themselves and any expansion they may need; that way no more breaks and hopefully will deter people from committing crimes, or at the very least take many more criminals off the streets and keep them off.

14 minutes ago, ARTrooper said:

Judges and DAs are often times cutting breaks because of over populated jails. We need to find a way to make jails pay for themselves and any expansion they may need; that way no more breaks and hopefully will deter people from committing crimes, or at the very least take many more criminals off the streets and keep them off.

Sheriff Joe figured that all out, and made it work - and he  was attacked by liberals for it.  His jail system worked.  The bonus was everyone was in pink.

Edited by 98Z5V

9 hours ago, ARTrooper said:

That's simply,bring back hard labor and chain gangs.

If I was a governor there would be no way in hell a convict would sit on his ass all day long

21 minutes ago, Ravenworks said:

If I was a governor there would be no way in hell a convict would sit on his ass all day long

i agree. maybe not so much with the chain gangs, but there is no reason why those in jails and prisons can't do factory work, making stuff that the government needs. instead they sleep all day, got nicer gym equipment than the average person can afford, libraries, tvs all over the place, and games to play all day long. most of them find life locked up is easier than life with a job and responsibilities. 

29 minutes ago, Ravenworks said:

They use them in many southern states

they need to take profit outta running prisons, take all the Cush imedities out, make it a place you don’t wanna go back to not a place to go chill with your homies.

also decriminalize shit that grows out the ground. 

Also do something about the metal health issue 

4 hours ago, Ravenworks said:

Good luck with that. There is no way you would get that in today’s environment. They do pre release up here cleaning up the road side. Hard labor? Never going to happen.

Edited by edgecrusher
Because Stone Cold said so!