• Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Winchester P-17, My 100 Year Old War Horse

jtallen83

On 4/14/2018 at 2:23 PM, jtallen83 said:

This old war horse hit 100 this spring, barrel has a 3-18 date on it. I've only shot 20 rounds through it but it held 2 MOA at 100 yards, bore is nice and shiny. This one escaped being refurbished and sits like it did when it came home from WWI, as the story is told. Finish is worn all around and the stock has enough wear to obscure any stamps except the odd W in a protected location. Always felt the P17 got shorted in the fame department due to the '03 being an American design, fact is more of our boys used these P-17's than any other rifle.

They were shorted somewhat in the fame depart, agreed.

But to say the '03 is an American design, ......no.  If the '03 was American in design , we would not have paid Germany (Mauser specifically ) royalties on every one produced due to copyright infringement. Even back then our military was trying to play catch up, and that was the best way to do it.

And our rifle making abilities were not what they were to become later, at least as far as the military brass was concerned....enter the Garand, ect.

The royalties were paid on the stripper clip feature of the ‘03, at least that was what was agreed on. True the 03 used most of the features of the 98 it was officially a Springfield Armory design.

That royalties issue with the 03 is a glaring example of how the big banks ( Rothchildes) already controlled the worlds governments. Insane to think we sent money to the enemy that was killing our soldiers. And this continues into our time, ie the plane loads of cash sent to iran......

On 4/16/2018 at 10:26 AM, jtallen83 said:

I have some saddle soap so I’ll use that, might have to find instructions on setting it back up :laffs:

Just do a search on 1907 sling installation. I found several documents with instructions for Garand M1s with color pics.

• 1 month later...