• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

98s 18" Grendel Light(er) Hunter

98Z5V

I used the Ruger Elite 452 trigger in this.  Primary Arms has it for $113, so I figured I'd give it a try.

85775-ruger174elite452artriggernew-s1.jp

At first, I didn't like it.  Not smooth, kinda gritty,and a weird second stage.  I'm used to a 2-stage where you take up the initial first-stage travel - and it's set, right there for the second stage pressure.  This one actually travels, in the second stage, too.  It's in that graphic above ^^^.  There is about 0.060" of second stage travel before the trigger releases the hammer.

I wasn't gonna like it.  Once i got it home, I did a paracord trigger job on the four main contact points, and it smoothed right out.  Next was some Rat-A-Tat lube on the pivot points and contact points, then alot of dry-firing in the trigger jig it comes with.  After all the paint yesterday, it got put in the rifle for the first time - and I hit one other pivot point with the lube - the disconnector pivot.  Made a huge difference in the trigger, and I actually like it now. Smooth trigger travel, distinct first and second stages. I can get used to the second stage travel, and it's feeling lighter than a 4.5 lb overall pull weight.  I need to get a trigger pull scale, and test it out.

• 2 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, 392heminut said:

I gave Tom my truck gun to practice on. I'm excited to see what he does to it!:thumbup:

I'll have two that I'll be painting at the same time, now.  Gonna be pretty cool.  I'l knock them out in the next week or so.  Larry's truck gun is pretty damn nice!

• 1 month later...

Put the zero on this optic this morning - man, did I ever.

Primary Arms 1~6 scope, Griffin Mil reticle.  I picked that scope up because the user's manual has instructions to zero the Grendel.  3/4" high at 100 is supposed to zero the rest of the BDC reticle.  I don't know if that'll really work out, until I can stretch it out to 500 and 600, but i usually trust what they say.

NO COFFEE this morning.  Damn near killed me.  Didn't want any caffeine in me, making me shaky.  I did get into the Copenhagen, though.  Several weeks ago, I saw a utility van with a roof rack on it, down the street.  Hit it with the range finder, and the corner of that roof rack was 101 yards.  I used that to boresight the scope.  Went over it and over it,until I was happy. That paid off...

I got out there today, set the paper zero target out at a paced-100 yards.  Come back to the table and hit it with the range finder. Damnit, 105 yards.  Moved the table forward until it was dead-on 100 yards to target.

The NO COFFEE this morning really pis$ed me off, but man, did it pay off.  I zero'd this thing in 8 rounds.  Got a 3-round shot group off to see where it was, and I was surprised. Tight group, left of center by about 2.5". Made a windage change, shot 2 into what I thought was one hole - pulled out the spotting scope, and it was 2 real close. Cool, made another windage change, and let 3 go. Spotting scoped it, and I was done.  If it needs to be 3/4" high at 100, I can't make it better than this.  I'm shocked at the accuracy of this barrel, and I'm certain it's not even broken in yet.  Faxon Match Series 18" Grendel, Gunner profile.  These were the first 8 rounds out of it. Oh, and I'm not giving up coffee, either.  No way, no how...

P1060517.thumb.JPG.e5b70f50fa4eb2be68bc8c8e77046fee.JPG

Edited by 98Z5V

3 minutes ago, 392heminut said:

@98Z5V

Did you ever do any painting on my truck gun?

Not yet, but that's on the way.  I have another couple of mine that I need to paint, and it'l be a batch-job on them all.  I did touch it today, though - I licked it...   :banana:

5 minutes ago, 98Z5V said:

Not yet, but that's on the way.  I have another couple of mine that I need to paint, and it'l be a batch-job on them all.  I did touch it today, though - I licked it...   :banana:

ROFL!!!!

Just interested to see what you do to it. As long as it ain't pink I'm okay.

Edited by 392heminut

15 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

It'l be dirt-colored, for sure, and sexy as hell. You might wanna put it in the house, and not beat it up in the truck...   :laffs: 

That's not gonna happen! The only safe queen I have is my Colt Python and even that gun isn't really safe since it already had a lot of bluing wear when I got it. It might stay in the house for a while so I can show it to friends though.