• Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

First impressions of the ATN X-Sight

Rsquared

20 minutes ago, sketch said:

you sir will be enjoying your beer as those to play in the dark running over cacti and snakes.. Choopra cabra, wont be a problem! nice purchase bro hope you get some time with it before the kids break it. ???

If I can get this thing fully together (properly), by the time the fall shoot gets here we'll all be slicker than one of these............................:lmao:

blackbird.thumb.jpg.b6ade479c8d3a5da3f705fc4c14f852c.jpg

Just now, Rsquared said:

If I can get this thing fully together (properly), by the time the fall shoot gets here we'll all be slicker than one of these............................:lmao:

blackbird.thumb.jpg.b6ade479c8d3a5da3f705fc4c14f852c.jpg

Whooooeeeeee! That's pretty slick!

As we say down here in hick country, "Slicker'n snot on a brass doorknob!"

21 hours ago, Matt.Cross said:

Whooooeeeeee! That's pretty slick!

As we say down here in hick country, "Slicker'n snot on a brass doorknob!"

When I read that I can’t help but hear your “twang” in my head ??

7 minutes ago, Matt.Cross said:

I really am sorry brother, maybe therapy will help....

:thumbup:

Just funny, miss you Ned Flanders!!

me picking up Matt last year

me: “fuck these people fuck this airport, fuck this fucking traffic and all this fucking Morons in there fucking cars!!!!”

matt: “gosh darn airport and their dang delays, what a pain in my butt!” 

???? love you man 

2 hours ago, Matt.Cross said:

I really am sorry brother, maybe therapy will help....

:thumbup:

Nope.  It doesn't help.  I've payed enough already to come to that conclusion.  :banana:

Every time I read what you write, I hear you say it...   :laffs:

Edited by 98Z5V

Also have an ATN XS II HD and there are a number a positives about it, great for hog hunting especially when transitioning from day to night and back again. Here's a recommendation, switch to Kentli rechargeable batteries and use the battery pack to charge your phone. Less weight and you don't have to worry about the cord popping loose right before you want to  take your shot. I tried the battery pack but like the batteries better, I carry a spare set in the woods or at the range. Good luck, they do have a bit of a learning curve.

I have had the HD II for about a year now and while it can be and is overly complicated I found it to be fantastic for fox and coyotes. Placing it on a swivel rest I connect it to my iPad w the illumination set low and I can watch my entire pasture w both eyes open and even take a shot. ( AR15 20 inch barrel ) without having to look through the scope. I am using a larger external cellphone battery which usually lasts longer than I do. I use Velcro computer cable ties to hold everything to the rifle. I bought it from SG on sale w a double buyers club discount day so it was a bit cheaper than list price.

• 2 weeks later...

Son of a bitch... I was going to mount mine ( 5-20 as well ) on the FN CHF 20" .308 upper.... and totally forgot about doing that !!!

Good to hear all the impressions are GTGish !

Now I am going to have to think about that all night,.... oh well.. not enough time for that as well as everything else tomorrow !

• 3 weeks later...

So I finally got around to getting this thing mounted. Of course, the whole thing started Fuked up......as my luck would have it. My plan was to replace the original factory mount with a QD style of mount.  Yep. No problem, as any of us right thinking Americans would believe. Well...........................enter the R2 luck.

So, it started with me thinking that I was going to easily back out the factory hex-head screws out of the original mount. (BIG,  price is right tuba "you lost" sound). The gorillas at the factory must have used super glue instead of lock-tight. I immediately stripped them out. Fuk me.....as usual. So, this would make Rob proud. I end up breaking out the dremel and cut some slots into the screws so that I can, at least, put a screwdriver on them to try and back them out. Well, me being a hermit and all, makes this a little difficult to steady this thing. Not only to slice a groove into the existing screws, but to lean my sorry fat ass into the newly ground slot with a screwdriver and try and turn the damn thing. Needless to say, here I am, placing a brand new digital optic into a vise to keep it steady. Now granted, I'm not a complete barbarian. I placed a soft towel into the vice before lowering the aforementioned optic into it and CRANKING it down to hold this bitch steady. FUK me again!

So......with a squared shank screwdriver, I found myself leaning my sorry ass into this fucker (in a vise)  while putting a wrench on the shank of the screwdriver and turning. Luckily, it worked and I was able to get those factory screws outta this damn thing. Upon inspection of the screws, it had to be either Rocksett, superglue, or some other kind of NASA style of adhesive...cause it was a clear (ish) looking substance. Either way.................Fuk those things.....they're in the trash.

So I got the new ARMS 35 QD mount on the optic.

So I pull out the SASS and slap her together. Lay this new abomination onto her top rail and slide the latches into place. Easy enough. I then proceed to fumble for about 45 minutes with the external power supply. This thing straps to the stock like a cheekrest. I finally get this in place and power her up to do a quick function check. Yeah...........it still works.

So for now, this is how she sits. I'm still waiting on the laser range finder that's designed to mount to this thing. It's supposed to be good out to 1500 meters. We'll see if there's a shred of truth to that at some point I guess. It's a long lead item through optics planet, so it should be a couple more weeks at the least before I see it.

I've also got the external remote that straps to the rail. It's called the X-trac. Supposedly so you don't have to fumble for the buttons on top of the unit, you more intuitively use your offhand that's clutching the rail to manipulate the settings. We'll see how that works out also.

The app that ATN makes for thing won't work on my personal phone. It's too old. But it does work on my work phone (a much newer unit). It seems to be pretty cool, for what I've played with it so far. I can't make it work on my tablets though. My large one, obviously, is a Windows surface tablet, so it won't work with that at all. My smaller one, is an amazon fire tablet. It would be a great (and portable) size to view the optic though. But it won't load the ATN app. Fukin google is fighting me on this one. I think this more an amazon thing though. These tablets from them, even being a google based operating system, are more of just an amazon thing. Or, something for doing some light reading while on the can. I don't know. It won't load the app either way.

So that's long-winded enough for now. I'm waiting for the range finder before I even take this thing out to play with it on a hot range. I'll let you all know as we proceed.

Oh....you all will be shocked, but I still haven't cleaned this thing since the last fall shoot. Tom will be happy. If you look close enough in the pics, you can still see the Arizona desert all over this rifle. :laffs:

And..........the mandatory pics of course. Bad phone pics, but it's all I got for now.

KIMG0052.thumb.JPG.357a68a26fe3feb2ed4ba0194263b619.JPGKIMG0053.thumb.JPG.b8b8b3998223ef7486687b7642e6f0c1.JPGKIMG0054.thumb.JPG.bf2702a6500a6e53533d453d559427df.JPG

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/23/2018 at 9:20 PM, Rsquared said:

So I finally got around to getting this thing mounted. Of course, the whole thing started Fuked up......as my luck would have it. My plan was to replace the original factory mount with a QD style of mount.  Yep. No problem, as any of us right thinking Americans would believe. Well...........................enter the R2 luck.

So, it started with me thinking that I was going to easily back out the factory hex-head screws out of the original mount. (BIG,  price is right tuba "you lost" sound). The gorillas at the factory must have used super glue instead of lock-tight. I immediately stripped them out. Fuk me.....as usual. So, this would make Rob proud. I end up breaking out the dremel and cut some slots into the screws so that I can, at least, put a screwdriver on them to try and back them out. Well, me being a hermit and all, makes this a little difficult to steady this thing. Not only to slice a groove into the existing screws, but to lean my sorry fat ass into the newly ground slot with a screwdriver and try and turn the damn thing. Needless to say, here I am, placing a brand new digital optic into a vise to keep it steady. Now granted, I'm not a complete barbarian. I placed a soft towel into the vice before lowering the aforementioned optic into it and CRANKING it down to hold this bitch steady. FUK me again!

So......with a squared shank screwdriver, I found myself leaning my sorry ass into this fucker (in a vise)  while putting a wrench on the shank of the screwdriver and turning. Luckily, it worked and I was able to get those factory screws outta this damn thing. Upon inspection of the screws, it had to be either Rocksett, superglue, or some other kind of NASA style of adhesive...cause it was a clear (ish) looking substance. Either way.................Fuk those things.....they're in the trash.

So I got the new ARMS 35 QD mount on the optic.

So I pull out the SASS and slap her together. Lay this new abomination onto her top rail and slide the latches into place. Easy enough. I then proceed to fumble for about 45 minutes with the external power supply. This thing straps to the stock like a cheekrest. I finally get this in place and power her up to do a quick function check. Yeah...........it still works.

So for now, this is how she sits. I'm still waiting on the laser range finder that's designed to mount to this thing. It's supposed to be good out to 1500 meters. We'll see if there's a shred of truth to that at some point I guess. It's a long lead item through optics planet, so it should be a couple more weeks at the least before I see it.

I've also got the external remote that straps to the rail. It's called the X-trac. Supposedly so you don't have to fumble for the buttons on top of the unit, you more intuitively use your offhand that's clutching the rail to manipulate the settings. We'll see how that works out also.

The app that ATN makes for thing won't work on my personal phone. It's too old. But it does work on my work phone (a much newer unit). It seems to be pretty cool, for what I've played with it so far. I can't make it work on my tablets though. My large one, obviously, is a Windows surface tablet, so it won't work with that at all. My smaller one, is an amazon fire tablet. It would be a great (and portable) size to view the optic though. But it won't load the ATN app. Fukin google is fighting me on this one. I think this more an amazon thing though. These tablets from them, even being a google based operating system, are more of just an amazon thing. Or, something for doing some light reading while on the can. I don't know. It won't load the app either way.

So that's long-winded enough for now. I'm waiting for the range finder before I even take this thing out to play with it on a hot range. I'll let you all know as we proceed.

Oh....you all will be shocked, but I still haven't cleaned this thing since the last fall shoot. Tom will be happy. If you look close enough in the pics, you can still see the Arizona desert all over this rifle. :laffs:

And..........the mandatory pics of course. Bad phone pics, but it's all I got for now.

KIMG0052.thumb.JPG.357a68a26fe3feb2ed4ba0194263b619.JPGKIMG0053.thumb.JPG.b8b8b3998223ef7486687b7642e6f0c1.JPGKIMG0054.thumb.JPG.bf2702a6500a6e53533d453d559427df.JPG

Great silhouette of a Rifle with a scope & the Bipod feet do look good , but you Star Treky lighting is not up to the task  ?. I also looked at this scope a while back when Brownells had it on sale    .Interesting .