• Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

first ar308 build

300grPills

2 minutes ago, 300grPills said:

just a simple wisconsin deer hunter guy, i like to hit what i aim at every time and i hate trailing deer, so theres that

Point being, in my post - a .308 Win AR in 16" is more than capable for what you're describing.  The 7mm-08 us a WAY more efficient round over .308, and a 16" 7mm-08 would be even better - less drop,flat shooting,more impact energy - than the 16" .308.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just now, 98Z5V said:

If the distance is that short, and you're looking at a .308 parent case, have you considered a .338 Federal?  I built up a 16" .338 Fed as a pig gun, but I haven't been able to put it on any pigs yet.

sweet build but im fairly sold on my 7mm, i already have way to many calibers as is, beside if i want to shoot as deer with a 338 ill use my edge ?

Just now, Matt.Cross said:

My current list has you at ~$1400 which leaves you with $1100 in the budget to pick a stock, pistol grip, muzzle device, and a bipod. I'd go with Magpul's new offering on the bipod, at $110 it's unbeatable.

This guy is good.... too good.... you getting kickbacks lol

3 minutes ago, Matt.Cross said:

My current list has you at ~$1400 which leaves you with $1100 in the budget to pick a stock, pistol grip, muzzle device, and a bipod. I'd go with Magpul's new offering on the bipod, at $110 it's unbeatable.

I'm sorry, $1000 if you go ahead and get the SLR gas block and gas tube that you'll need.

I'm on the verge of doing this very build now myself....

6 minutes ago, 300grPills said:

sweet build but im fairly sold on my 7mm, i already have way to many calibers as is, beside if i want to shoot as deer with a 338 ill use my edge ?

For 300 yards?... 

You have so many options, for a 300-yard gun.  All in the .308 parent-case. Pick what you want.

Just make sure you pick up a decent 2-stage trigger. This ain't a bolt gun.   :thumbup:

Just now, Matt.Cross said:

You sir, are going to fit in here quite well.

I can already tell.

Lastly, it is actually you who has been discussing this build, so now you're obligated. 

:laffs:

i know, ive got shopping carts filled on like 74 different websites now thanks to you... my wallet is shaking in anticipation, but alas ill have to get ahold of my FFL tommorow for the reciever.... probably be a month or so long build so stay tuned lol, although i think there are a couple spots i am going to deviate from your build list slightly but hey, i think you will get over it

Just now, 98Z5V said:

For 300 yards?... 

You have so many options, for a 300-yard gun.  All in the .308 parent-case. Pick what you want.

Just make sure you pick up a decent 2-stage trigger. This ain't a bolt gun.   :thumbup:

one of my slight deviations from his build list

Just now, 98Z5V said:

For 300 yards?... 

we all know how plans go.... ill end up with this thing at the 1000 yd range before i know it

Just now, 300grPills said:

i know, ive got shopping carts filled on like 74 different websites now thanks to you... my wallet is shaking in anticipation, but alas ill have to get ahold of my FFL tommorow for the reciever.... probably be a month or so long build so stay tuned lol, although i think there are a couple spots i am going to deviate from your build list slightly but hey, i think you will get over it

Glad to help any way I can. Do elaborate on the deviations, I'll be eager to see the final results.

2 minutes ago, 300grPills said:

we all know how plans go.... ill end up with this thing at the 1000 yd range before i know it

I'd bet my money that a 16" 7mm-08 would be pretty damn decent on a 1000-yard range.  :thumbup:

I took a 12.5" 6.5 Grendel to 845 yards, with boring repeatability.  BORING repeatability.  10.2 mils of drop.  Bang.  Every time.

1 minute ago, 98Z5V said:

I'd bet my money that a 16" 7mm-08 would be pretty damn decent on a 1000-yard range.  :thumbup:

I took a 12.5" 6.5 Grendel to 845 yards, with boring repeatability.  BORING repeatability.  10.2 mils of drop.  Bang.  Every time.

A pistol build mind you, it is f'in ridiculous. I shot it myself, and 845 is no problem. Ridiculous, just absolutely insane, that thing....

13 minutes ago, Matt.Cross said:

Glad to help any way I can. Do elaborate on the deviations, I'll be eager to see the final results.

just a couple of changes i may make

8 minutes ago, 98Z5V said:

5 minutes ago, Matt.Cross said:

A pistol build mind you, it is f'in ridiculous. I shot it myself, and 845 is no problem. Ridiculous, just absolutely insane, that thing....

sounds like a good time.... may have to hit you up if im ever near the border

cart.PNG

3 minutes ago, 300grPills said:

Tons of great 2-stage triggers out there, some cheaper,some more expensive.  Question is, what kind of quality are you looking for?

You'll never beat a Geissele, ever.  Many come close, and there are many alternatives, at lower price points.

You'll never beat a LaRue MBT2S, at it's price point - no matter what you try to buy.  You might wait for it, though, for months.  I think it's still on sale for $99.

That LaRue is directly comparable with a Geissele SSA trigger, and the Geissele SSA-E is a little better - but that's an additional $100, minimum, just for the SSA.

We can talk triggers for hours, man.  I've pretty much bought them all, over time - and still have them all, after all this time.

4 minutes ago, 300grPills said:

also, will and BCG work or.... like this one for instance

https://www.rainierarms.com/rainier-arms-308-bolt-carrier-group-dpms-sr-25-pattern/

Don't spend that money. Find a ToolCraft 308 BCG in nitride for alot less.

ToolCraft makes their money supplying ALOT of OEM manufacturers with "their own" 5.56 BCGs.  ToolCraft has been in this business for a long time.

Search out the best deal on a ToolCraft 308 nitrided BCG and be done with it.

4 minutes ago, 98Z5V said:

Don't spend that money. Find a ToolCraft 308 BCG in nitride for alot less.

ToolCraft makes their money supplying ALOT of OEM manufacturers with "their own" 5.56 BCGs.  ToolCraft has been in this business for a long time.

Search out the best deal on a ToolCraft 308 nitrided BCG and be done with it.

Like this one...

https://www.armorally.com/shop/toolcraft-ar10-308-bolt-carrier-group-black-nitride/

^^^ Exactly.

We had a badass 308 BCG here with DWilson, but that dried up.  There's no other place I'll ever look, for a 308 OR 556 BCG, than ToolCraft, ever again.  My last two 6.5 Grendel BCGs were ToolCraft.