• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Sit Rep

MONTANA308

Well I have been MIA for awhile thought I’d check in.  I had been going over some of the posts forgot how much I missed this place. 

Life has has been a roller coaster the past year or so.  My dad was diagnosed a year ago with incurable cancer of the stomach and throat.  He does a chemo treatment every week and half.  To try and slow the cancer down. So far it has gonna fairly smooth, but has left a huge hole in the ranch work which I’ve had to take on.   Though the diagnosis was not good we are still ridin tall.  

We have crazy weather up here in the “Middle of Nowhere”    Last summer we had a record drought and I was more of a full time firefighter then a Rancher. This spring the Milk River flooded out of its bank and wiped out most of our hay base.  Going to be a rebuilding year for sure.  

Still doing work with optics we are in the middle of our 2018 optics test. This test once was affiliated with Outdoor Life but now is a private test that  Andrew McKean does and I help out with.  Had the pleasure of going to SHOT show for a week this year. I ran Outdoor Life’s Instagram account for the week down there.  I’ll tell you this the only way you’ll every get me to walk 15 miles a day is put me in a convention center  filled with firearms.  

Not much on the gun side. Running mostly bolt guns these days.  Running lot of long range stuff. I have a personal  range that goes out to 1025 meters at the moment have two more spots picked out that gets me all the way out to 1800 meters.  My good friend Pat and I have been putting long range shoots for wounded vets which has been a lot of fun and very rewarding.  We are under the Montana Warriors on the Water.  Our shoot will be July 27 this year   

Well that’s a small bit of what I have been doing.  I spend a little more time on Instagram under jcwesen if any of you guys do the gram.  I still haven’t broke down and got the book yet and I don’t see myself doing it either.   Hope every one is doing well and rolling smooth. 

JW 

PS thanks DNP for reaching out and getting me back on here. I’ll try to stay a little more active. 

Good to hear from you Montana. Sorry for the tough year that life dealt you. Prayers for your Dad, and I hope Mother Nature treats you right this year. The drool on the screen happened when you started talking about a personal range out to 1800 meters. And I am guessing a bunch of other forum members are also drooling. Take care and check in when you can.

Man it was great talking with you the other night!  Sorry to hear about your pops. That's a tough spot to be in and we'll keep him in our prayers. 

July 27th eh?  I'm gonna have to check the calendar and see what we can do. I need an excuse to tour through Montana looking for the potential next move. 

As for the 1800 meters...I know your damn near in Canada...but we do yards here in the US...I can help with the conversion. 

2 hours ago, DNP said:

Man it was great talking with you the other night!  Sorry to hear about your pops. That's a tough spot to be in and we'll keep him in our prayers. 

July 27th eh?  I'm gonna have to check the calendar and see what we can do. I need an excuse to tour through Montana looking for the potential next move. 

As for the 1800 meters...I know your damn near in Canada...but we do yards here in the US...I can help with the conversion. 

I could do a long weekend outta that 15.5 hour drive

13 hours ago, DNP said:

I often use meters because in the military we used meters and kilometers. lol.

7 minutes ago, ARTrooper said:

That was a tough thing for me to break, shooting-wise.  It's been more than 10 years now, and I'm fully converted over to yards, but still love the mil-dot system.  I won't deviate from that combination, it just works.  :thumbup:

39 minutes ago, ARTrooper said:

You know why that is, right?  Because you're not training to fight here. You're training to fight anywhere else on this planet....and we're the dumbasses with yards. 

Edited by DNP

17 hours ago, DNP said:

You know why that is, right?  Because you're not training to fight here. You're training to fight anywhere else on this planet....and we're the dumbasses with yards. 

haha. never thought of it that way. funny the military still uses feet, inches, and yards at short distances though. we are all sorts of screwed up. haha

I don't think it has anything to do with what I said. In reality a base ten system just makes good sense. That's why the entire rest of the world is on it. I did mean what I said about is being dumbasses though. I wear it proudly. 

1 hour ago, ARTrooper said:

haha. never thought of it that way. funny the military still uses feet, inches, and yards at short distances though. we are all sorts of screwed up. haha

Don't forget cunt hairs, I keep one of these tapes in the truck just in case a contractor tells me he is only a cunt hair off, trust but verify!

cunthair.jpg.33ef12c721ae12492dca6689314d2eee.jpg

4 hours ago, jtallen83 said:

Don't forget cunt hairs, I keep one of these tapes in the truck just in case a contractor tells me he is only a cunt hair off, trust but verify!

Blonde,brunette or red head...what's it calibrated for?

As a Canadian although officially metric,it's easier to find SAE hardware at local hardware store,it's still 2x4s and 4x8.

While I work in both I do prefer mm over fractional for the smaller stuff, guesstimating weight I prefer pounds, MPG makes more sense than L/100KM

43 minutes ago, Cunuckgaucho said:

1 1/2 x 3 1/2 inches for now

I'm starting to see that get shrunk again by a 1/16 and sometimes an 1/8th. It would be interesting to see numbers on the actual strength of a 1950's 2x4 versus today's 2x4, they sure let some substantial knots get by these days.

58 minutes ago, Cunuckgaucho said:

I use a local commercial yard that lets me pick my lumber,suspect up here some of the big chain stores you'll find the slightly undersized and rough looking lumber.

I won’t order lumber from a lumber yard unless they will let me inspect and choose it first. I did that one time at a larger venue and they switched a bunch that was warped and knotted. Truck got here, I took one look and rejected it. Called the city desk and told them I was taking the business for my new house to their competition. Next day I got the lumber I had originally chosen.

shits i get is canada no disrespect canuk but damn. it gets any sun and it twists and splits like a roller skating disco.. i do my best to keep it wet here in the lower. gotta treated 6x6 post that went awal on a big deck. local store will cover the cost.I load my own truck. They dont ask if i need help anymore. i just show up and give a holler. 

On ‎5‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 9:41 AM, jtallen83 said:

What's a cunt hair? why don't you make them shave or wax that sh1t?