• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Brrr, winters here

308kiwi

Yeah I know you guys are all basking in the balmy warm and brilliant sunshine, but it's winter here, just poked my head outside because it all of a sudden went quiet, yep, it's friggin snowing.

Too dark, 9:30 pm, to take pics and make you all feel chilly, will see what tomorrow brings.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I was rocking some 110 last weekend, and the "weather-guessers" said it would only hit 105~106.  They're actually predicting a "110" for this weekend, so we'll see what it really turns out to be...  :laffs:

I had to get up at 6:00am to to some reloading, when it was a cool 70...  By 8:30 or 9:00, it was 90, so I hung it up for the day...  :box1:

15 minutes ago, DNP said:

I wann be the guy who does the "feels like" guesstimates. Think that's a full time gig? 

"Dirk, go outside and tell me what you think the temp is..."

I'd never heard that term before, "feels like" until we were in the states, I thought it was rather unusual, but hey.

Spent a couple of days in your hometown last October DNP, loved San Diego, clean, friendly, GREAT restaurants with awesome hospitality, was certainly one of the highlights of our US holiday.

2 hours ago, DNP said:

I wann be the guy who does the "feels like" guesstimates. Think that's a full time gig? 

That's that "heat index" bullshiit...

2 hours ago, 308kiwi said:

I'd never heard that term before, "feels like" until we were in the states, I thought it was rather unusual, but hey.

It's when they use humidity, to trick you into thinking you're really in a truly HOT place.  It just makes those "humidity people" feel better about sweating.

"It's 95 degrees outside folks, but with the 85% humidity, it FEELS LIKE it's 106 degrees out!  Be careful out there today!..."  :lmao:

REAL heat is when you don't even know you're sweating - because it evaporates as soon as it comes to the surface of your skin.  POOF!  Gone...  You don't get the "cooling effect" of a mild breeze - because that 115-degree hotass "mild breeze" isn't blowing on any sweat on your super-red, burned up skin.

"Dry heat," they call it.  Want some dry heat?  Stick your head n the oven... 

Heat Index Candyasses...   :laffs:

I'm guessing it takes at least 3 guesstimaters. Each goes outside, comes back in and reports what they think the temp is. Average all 3 and you have a "feels like" reading.  "Feels" takes perspective and I don't care for it. I've seen my wife in a jacket at 75 degrees because it "feels" cold out....meanwhile I was sweating a bit. Maybe "feels like" needs more categories. For thin people...it feels like xxxxxx....for us fat bastards....it feels a bit warmer. 

3 hours ago, DNP said:

95 and 75% humidity is come back in day feels like my balls are sticking to my leg, and a bead of sweat just ran down my ass

2 hours ago, 308kiwi said:

Spent a couple of days in your hometown last October DNP, loved San Diego, clean, friendly, GREAT restaurants with awesome hospitality, was certainly one of the highlights of our US holiday.

Think those assholes are nice come to the Midwest some time

35 minutes ago, 98Z5V said:

That's that "heat index" bullshiit...

It's when they use humidity, to trick you into thinking you're really in a truly HOT place.  It just makes those "humidity people" feel better about sweating.

"It's 95 degrees outside folks, but with the 85% humidity, it FEELS LIKE it's 106 degrees out!  Be careful out there today!..."  :lmao:

REAL heat is when you don't even know you're sweating - because it evaporates as soon as it comes to the surface of your skin.  POOF!  Gone...  You don't get the "cooling effect" of a mild breeze - because that 115-degree hotass "mild breeze" isn't blowing on any sweat on your super-red, burned up skin.

"Dry heat," they call it.  Want some dry heat?  Stick your head n the oven... 

Heat Index Candyasses...   :laffs:

Go piss up a rope, I’ll take 106 and no humidity over 95 and 85% humidity any day

Come down

12 minutes ago, shepp said:

Go piss up a rope, I’ll take 106 and no humidity over 95 and 85% humidity any day.

Yeah, laugh now, ginger-boy.  Come on down here and get some 118 and 120...  :lmao: REAL heat...   :banana:

RIde a motorcycle in the city. Asphalt temps radiate up, and they're 135...   :laffs:

Come down here and play in July.  I'll provide the sunscreen for your transparent a$s...  :thumbup:

1 minute ago, 98Z5V said:

Come down

Yeah, laugh now, ginger-boy.  Come on down here and get some 118 and 120...  :lmao: REAL heat...   :banana:

RIde a motorcycle in the city. Asphalt temps radiate up, and they're 135...   :laffs:

Come down here and play in July.  I'll provide the sunscreen for your transparent a$s...  :thumbup:

It’s cool, my compressor rooms are pushing 105 on the thermometer and 75% humdity ??

microwave or oven they both suck

• 4 weeks later...

It was 48F last Sunday up here. Got up to 55F. Yesterday was typical. Got to 86 F by 1pm, wind switched to the NE, went to 68F. Wind stopped at 3 pm, went to 84F. Wind started again at 4:30pm, went to 70F. Live next to the world’s largest natural air conditioner. Middle Lake weather buoy  water Temp is still only 42F.  Kiwi, that wet cold is the worst. Goes right into your bones. Correction: -30F is worse, doesn’t happen often up here. Where I was ice fishing in Canada in March, they hit -42 F in January. No thanks.

?yeah our cat is particularly smart, she's been around a long time and knows what’s best.

Screw that Sisco, -32F,   coldest I've ever seen the mercury here was -21C, (-6 F) and that was cold enough for me, spent that day thawing out diesel fuel lines and filters to get machinery running and stock fed.

8 hours ago, 308kiwi said:

?

Ventured into town today, local gunshop having a mid winter sale so I felt obliged to go and spend some money, 6 deg, (42 F) at lunchtime, decided 'screw this' went home and have the fire lit now.

42 sounds real nice right now!!

5 hours ago, Sisco said:

It was 48F last Sunday up here. Got up to 55F. Yesterday was typical. Got to 86 F by 1pm, wind switched to the NE, went to 68F. Wind stopped at 3 pm, went to 84F. Wind started again at 4:30pm, went to 70F. Live next to the world’s largest natural air conditioner. Middle Lake weather buoy  water Temp is still only 42F.  Kiwi, that wet cold is the worst. Goes right into your bones. Correction: -30F is worse, doesn’t happen often up here. Where I was ice fishing in Canada in March, they hit -42 F in January. No thanks.

I was in Racine Friday, miserable at the store I was at. Desired to take lunch at the harbor 5-10 min away, it was beautiful, wind off the lake humidity cuz in half, I coulda stayed there all day.