• Visit Sportsmans Guide

BEER, Reviews and Opinions

jtallen83

• Replies 680
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

52 minutes ago, shepp said:

@jtallen83 weren’t you talking about this? Smells like really good weed........ dank but not overly hoppy, not really my thing

C7007EA5-6C0E-4020-A10D-FD5F1893FFE1.jpeg

Yep, toolndie posted it on his Instagram a while back. Tried it in Asheville along with a couple others in the same style. None were anything I would stock up on either, a little dank is ok but from start to finish is a bit much. These guys specialized in DANK!

https://www.wickedweedbrewing.com/beer/lieutenant-dank/

14 hours ago, jtallen83 said:

Yep, toolndie posted it on his Instagram a while back. Tried it in Asheville along with a couple others in the same style. None were anything I would stock up on either, a little dank is ok but from start to finish is a bit much. These guys specialized in DANK!

https://www.wickedweedbrewing.com/beer/lieutenant-dank/

It wasn’t great, it wasn’t bad. But if I don’t pass a wizz test I’m blaming the beer

Canned Chameleon Pale Ale from a collaboration of Warped Roots/Toppling Goliath and HyVee, brewed in Verona, WI, maybe. This is considered the "pink" can version, looks light purple to me. A real mild fruity smell and a light fruity taste to start. Evolves into a hoppy pineapple/grapefruit taste, I like it to this point. Ends with a bitter, dry citrus taste, like chewing on an orange rind and this finish just stays in your mouth forever never finishing, not my thing.........hope they change it considerable for the next version!

IMG_0819.thumb.jpg.5b9611bfecee0db65148167331317145.jpg

Rupture Fresh Ground Ale by Odell Brewing Co in Ft. Collins CO. Citrusy smell and an up front citrus that goes quickly to DANK and leaves DANK hanging out for a bit. Didn't care for the first couple swallows but it sorta grows on you. Definitely a strong fresh hop flavor, nothing juicy here!

IMG_0844.thumb.jpg.d2feba46d6c1473cc3ab5a85f1bc3bd3.jpg

58 minutes ago, jtallen83 said:

Rupture Fresh Ground Ale by Odell Brewing Co in Ft. Collins CO. Citrusy smell and an up front citrus that goes quickly to DANK and leaves DANK hanging out for a bit. Didn't care for the first couple swallows but it sorta grows on you. Definitely a strong fresh hop flavor, nothing juicy here!

IMG_0844.thumb.jpg.d2feba46d6c1473cc3ab5a85f1bc3bd3.jpg

They make some good barrel aged stuff I got some in CO last year

IPA Kolata by Evil Twin Brewing of Stratford Connecticut. If you don't like coconut then skip this one. One of the more layered tasting beers I have tried, depth and breadth there is a lot going on here. Smooth and creamy all the way through, starts with a strong coconut pineapple flavor that fades into a hoppy flavor with a fizzy feel. Ending with more creamy and tart coconut flavor with the tart fading to leave just a silky coconut finish. A pleasant coconut pineapple aroma with a hint of hops. Packs a bit of a punch on the alcohol side as well! If I see it again I won't pass it by!

IMG_0850.thumb.JPG.a2c6d0cb23e646c6237ff40e84e318ba.JPG

Hop Rising Tropical Double IPA from Squatters Craft Beer, Utah Brewers Cooperative, Salt Lake city, Utah. Light on aroma, hint of fruit and bread. Up front taste made me think mango, goes into a piney dank hop flavor but still a little sweetness. Finishes with an almost creamy dank mango, odd but I think I like it, these double IPA's seem to be growing on me.

IMG_0854.thumb.jpg.b24ff6be8fad523faee9923ab79b8bf1.jpg

Bully Porter Robust American by Boulevard Brewing Co. of K.C. Missouri. Smells smoky, tastes smokey up front to finish. Hints of dark chocolate and toffee but mostly just a seriously dark smoky flavor. Maybe a bit too much, kind of one note and a touch burnt bitter taste. With the right meal it may work.

IMG_0855.thumb.JPG.8df865214f7ee06988c4fbe3a1ee8eee.JPG

Citra Ass Down DIPA by Against The Grain Brewery in Louisville KY. Tropical fruit smell, initially a creamy mango flavor but goes quickly to a more citrusy, hoppy flavor, maybe a touch of spicy dank in the middle but ends with a nice clean tropical fruit flavor, sweet but not sweet??? Smooth all the way through, leaves a real clean feeling in the mouth. A hard one to describe as it is very deep and layered with flavors. I will buy it again if I see it.

IMG_0874.thumb.jpg.930b662bb66f19fd2cfebf4710f3f38e.jpg

Edited by jtallen83

Hop On Juicy Pale by Abita Brewing in Abita Springs, LA. Mild bready hop smell. Has a mellow melon-grapefruit taste up front, hints of pine and something like a mandarin orange, more pine in the finish but not bitter, very smooth all the way through. 

IMG_0891.thumb.JPG.704fa8ac436219e3f341b2f5500e5196.JPG

Edited by jtallen83

Looks like a great haul :thumbup: Found a place in St. Louis called Total Wine, unreal selection there. I will be making occasional trips there for work so I will be looking for some of your favorites.

Two more weeks and I will be home to see what is in the fridge :drool:

Edited by jtallen83