• Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

BEER, Reviews and Opinions

jtallen83

• Replies 680
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I was a young wine salesman our division introduced Elephant beer in the 70's.....the funny thing bout introductions...the meetings were always in the office in the mornings bout 9am.....well crap heres 20 drunk out of their minds salesguys drinking that elephant beer at 9am...okay men....now go out there and sell this $hit.....yeah sure   :laffs:    Wash

Gamma Gamma Ray  IPA from Toppling Goliath Brewing in Decorha Iowa and Bottle Logic Brewing. Has a super strong pineapple mango aroma, very pleasant. The taste follows the aroma, there is a bit of a malty flavor but it takes a back seat to the hops. Mostly a pineapple, citrus, tropical fruit flavor but about any flavor associated with hops that can be described is in here, a little dank, a little pine, leaves on a dry pithy note. Feels like a thicker fruit juice in the mouth. A 22 ounce bottle is all I want with the 8% ABV!

IMG_1118.thumb.jpg.bfd817a379c998d821eb906bda0b64df.jpg

1 hour ago, jtallen83 said:

Gamma Gamma Ray  IPA from Toppling Goliath Brewing in Decorha Iowa and Bottle Logic Brewing. Has a super strong pineapple mango aroma, very pleasant. The taste follows the aroma, there is a bit of a malty flavor but it takes a back seat to the hops. Mostly a pineapple, citrus, tropical fruit flavor but about any flavor associated with hops that can be described is in here, a little dank, a little pine, leaves on a dry pithy note. Feels like a thicker fruit juice in the mouth. A 22 ounce bottle is all I want with the 8% ABV!

IMG_1118.thumb.jpg.bfd817a379c998d821eb906bda0b64df.jpg

Hmmmmmmmm never seen that one?!

Naughty 90 Oaked Ale English IPA from Toppling Goliath Brewing in Decorha Iowa. Has a malty vanilla aroma, a hint of caramel. Taste has hints of a toffee/caramel/vanilla sweetness and roasted malt. Mostly dominated by a boozy/woodsy flavor though. The hops just don't come through for me other than a little bitterness. Good but not one I will go after again, kinda reminded me of cheap scotch.

IMG_1130.thumb.jpg.b7bfb0fc39b8ebc7a9fb17fd4ea6f707.jpg

2 hours ago, jtallen83 said:

Naughty 90 Oaked Ale English IPA from Toppling Goliath Brewing in Decorha Iowa. Has a malty vanilla aroma, a hint of caramel. Taste has hints of a toffee/caramel/vanilla sweetness and roasted malt. Mostly dominated by a boozy/woodsy flavor though. The hops just don't come through for me other than a little bitterness. Good but not one I will go after again, kinda reminded me of cheap scotch.

IMG_1130.thumb.jpg.b7bfb0fc39b8ebc7a9fb17fd4ea6f707.jpg

Sounds good, the barrel shined!! 

2 hours ago, Sisco said:

My nephew who works for Lagunitas alerted me to this beer some time ago. He said it’s not that great. But you guys have to try it. As for me? No thanks. Don’t,want to drink beer with cultures from someones beard hairs.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rogue_Beard_Beer

I’m not big on rogue think they’re past their prime

i really like lagunitas they make a good beer for a good price, their imperial stout is like 4$ a bomber and it’s a bad ass stout. Also if you’re unsure about barely wines theirs is good and also like 4-5$ a bomber 

38 minutes ago, shepp said:

I’m not big on rogue think they’re past their prime

i really like lagunitas they make a good beer for a good price, their imperial stout is like 4$ a bomber and it’s a bad ass stout. Also if you’re unsure about barely wines theirs is good and also like 4-5$ a bomber 

If you ever are out by their North Bay brewery in Commiefornia, let me know, he will give you a tour.

1 minute ago, washguy said:

Im expanding  my tastes...thanks to this thread ...brought home a six of Corona Premium.... ?  Wash

Pacifico is about all I buy any more. I did get a 12 pack of Corona Premium for the deep sea fishing expedition, but it was so rough no one drank any.

I cant believe how much an effin 6 pack of beer is now....geeeez   :laffs:we used to run  Schlitz on sale at  our stores for 3.75 or sumthin close...alls I remember is giving back change on a 5 dollar bill for a case of it....it was #1 in Dallas in the early 70's....then it had the green beer scare...the Schlitz brewed in Longview Tx literally gave you the runnin  $hitz.....almost ruined that brand..im thinkin it was $hitz to start with  :thumbup:   Wash

18 hours ago, washguy said:

I cant believe how much an effin 6 pack of beer is now....geeeez   :laffs:we used to run  Schlitz on sale at  our stores for 3.75 or sumthin close...alls I remember is giving back change on a 5 dollar bill for a case of it....it was #1 in Dallas in the early 70's....then it had the green beer scare...the Schlitz brewed in Longview Tx literally gave you the runnin  $hitz.....almost ruined that brand..im thinkin it was $hitz to start with  :thumbup:   Wash

inflation. It went well with the $80 work week. Good news is, you can still remember back that far. Don't lose it. 

1 hour ago, shepp said:

You said it a lot nicer that I, all I could think was it ain’t 19 fornicate’n 70 no more ???

Well crap...you had to just hurt my feelings like that.....my pecker was werkin back then...and the worse thing a nasty could give you could be got rid of with a couple of penicillin shots .....now theres stuff  that a gal could give that Babo wont take off...which reminds me why my pecker don't werk   :thefinger:   Wash

I was 21 and had the 1970 454 auto T-tops turbo auto....im thinkin it was somewhere around 8 thousand out the door...they had a 5 year 50k mile powertrain warranty ...and the crap quadrajet carb I had a little hammer like a gunsmith size that I carried...if the motor wouldn't start lift the hood and tap on the carb....lol.....everyone thinks those were the days....the muscle car era......but these days itsy bitsty motors make 400 hp and get 30 miles on the hi way...and they are in your family sedan :laffs:   Wash

20 minutes ago, DNP said:

She was LOADED for $8k. You were a baller...

Hell yeah     started working for a wine wholesaler we had the Gallo line and other brands I was the youngest salesman 21 yrs old...all the other older salesman had to give up their crap accounts to make a territory for me...well those crap accounts turned into a goldmine when boones farm strawberryhill  hit big all those accounts were the ones that bought boones farm like crazy....I became one of the top grossing sales guys....lol....all my buddies that got their degree were making like 800 a month as accountants and the like which was good money back then,but they were workin their azzes off...our sales guys worked maybe 4 days a week....lil ol me started knocking down 1200 to 1600 per month off of those throw away accounts....hell lets go buy a vette  I was single and had money runnin out my azz... btw the 454 only ran 154 top mph....but in box stock 1/4 mile at green valley raceway I kicked azz  those times I think were in the 13's but that was trophy et's....muscle cars...lol   :thumbup:  Wash