Jump to content
308AR.com Community
  • Visit Brownells
  • Visit AR15 Builder
  • Visit
  • Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Aero Precision
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Faxon
Joeymac

Is it possible to buy a 308 Toolcraft Bolt (bolt only, not full BCG)?

Recommended Posts

I'd like to buy just a bolt and my other toolcraft BCGs have been fantastic. They makes super affordable 308 BCGs, so I would assume purchasing just the bolt only is a bit cheaper, too. 

But I can't find anywhere selling just the bolts. Anyone know a place? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You’re going to need to check head spacing when if you replace fyi

Edited by shepp

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Joeymac said:

Huh?

I have GO/NO-GO/Field gauges... if that's what you mean.

Idk why it auto corrected cheap for check but yea

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To the OP, no. I've been checking with various manufacturers, and none of them will sell just a bolt except for JP and DPMS. And their prices are so high you might as well just buy a complete BCG.

I wish someone would. I'm getting  pitting on all my 308AR bolt faces. A lot more than I'd expect.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, mineralman55 said:

To the OP, no. I've been checking with various manufacturers, and none of them will sell just a bolt except for JP and DPMS. And their prices are so high you might as well just buy a complete BCG.

I wish someone would. I'm getting  pitting on all my 308AR bolt faces. A lot more than I'd expect.

You mean flame cutting around the primer pocket? 

Even on nitride bolts?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Joeymac said:

You mean flame cutting around the primer pocket? 

Even on nitride bolts?

Yep. Matches the primer pocket diameter. It happens on everyone's bolts (I've tried four different makes). I'm beginning to suspect the 308AR bolt manufacturers are going to have to up the ante on their materials. I've found it on many Garands and M14s alike, but not as badly as on the 308ARs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, mineralman55 said:

Yep. Matches the primer pocket diameter. It happens on everyone's bolts (I've tried four different makes). I'm beginning to suspect the 308AR bolt manufacturers are going to have to up the ante on their materials. I've found it on many Garands and M14s alike, but not as badly as on the 308ARs.

I've had NiB bolts get flame cutting and just decided to stop using NiB bolts. I haven't noticed it in nitride bolts. I might not shoot enough though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So it turns out you can buy individual stripped bolts from DPMS directly for $85 shipped... which isn't too bad if you have the spare parts sitting around to complete it (which I do). 

Alternatively, I can get the Toolcraft complete BCGs for ~$130 delivered a few places I think. Although I wouldn't need the carrier. 

How would a DPMS brand bolt compare too Toolcraft's? Should I just get the DPMS bolt since I have the spare parts to assemble it? 

 

Or a third option: the RCA complete HP bolt and firing pin can be had for $150. Probably the "best" bolt, albeit the most money, too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Joeymac said:

So it turns out you can buy individual stripped bolts from DPMS directly for $85 shipped... which isn't too bad if you have the spare parts sitting around to complete it (which I do).

That is a good price, and first I've seen DPMS offer it there. Midway offers DPMS and JP bolts for outrageous prices, and I've contacted numerous other vendors about buying just a .308AR bolt. They all said no. Good find.

Edited by mineralman55
spelling

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

CDNN has dual ejector Sig bolts for sale, stripped $50, complete bolt $80. If my info is correct they are DPMS pattern, I have one at home that I recently ordered so when I get there over the fourth I will see if it will headspace and run in my Matrix build and then report back.

https://www.cdnnsports.com/sig-sauer-716-bolt-assembly.html?___SID=U#.Wx7gfkgvwyU

https://www.cdnnsports.com/sig-sauer-716-stripped-bolt-with-gas-rings.html?___SID=U#.Wx7g6kgvwyU

5 hours ago, mineralman55 said:

They all said no. Good find.

 

On 6/9/2018 at 8:33 PM, Joeymac said:

Anyone know a place? 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, jtallen83 said:

CDNN has dual ejector Sig bolts for sale, stripped $50, complete bolt $80. If my info is correct they are DPMS pattern, I have one at home that I recently ordered so when I get there over the fourth I will see if it will headspace and run in my Matrix build and then report back.

https://www.cdnnsports.com/sig-sauer-716-bolt-assembly.html?___SID=U#.Wx7gfkgvwyU

https://www.cdnnsports.com/sig-sauer-716-stripped-bolt-with-gas-rings.html?___SID=U#.Wx7g6kgvwyU

 

 

Strong your google-fu is (done in the best Yoda voice possible.)

So is the Sig 716 compatible with the 308AR? I'm just not that familiar with it. And I just don't understand the double ejector setup. If you're set up correctly, one ejector works just fine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, mineralman55 said:

So is the Sig 716 compatible with the 308AR? I'm just not that familiar with it. And I just don't understand the double ejector setup. If you're set up correctly, one ejector works just fine.

I followed a build/rebarrel on the Sigtalk site and the info there stated Sig was not as proprietary as they claim, said there barrels, and bolts are DPMS pattern. Sig used Armalite thread pattern on DPMS high style upper, that seemed to  be the biggest hang up. 

I agree one ejector should be fine. My 716 originally came with one, after sending it in with issues they added a dual ejector bolt, still has the same issue just not as regular.

I will be checking this bolt for function on a DPMS pattern barrel in my Matrix build soon. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, jtallen83 said:

I will be checking this bolt for function on a DPMS pattern barrel in my Matrix build soon. 

I look forward to this. It would be great to have a reasonably priced replacement bolt available for our 308ARs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

of course you already know that DPMS Gen 1 LR308 bolts  have a single extractor and the Gen 2 bolts have 2 extractors.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The DPMS LR 308 & GII 308 Bolts are not compatable , the GII is Proprietary .    

 

Where is Dave Wilson  when you need him ,  I miss his Parts & prices   ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, survivalshop said:

Where is Dave Wilson  when you need him ,  I miss his Parts & prices   ?

Exactly, brother.  :thumbup:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/13/2018 at 7:50 AM, mineralman55 said:

I look forward to this. It would be great to have a reasonably priced replacement bolt available for our 308ARs.

Function check on the Sig bolt complete. Headspaced fine on my X-Caliber barrel. Put the bolt in a D. Wilson carrier and shot 10 rounds in my Matrix build without issue. It appears these bolts are DPMS pattern. Now to sort out how to convert that Sig barrel CDNN has to DI function, it will happen when I figure out the gas tube length.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×