• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Aero Precision
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Faxon
98Z5V

Weird Grendel Brass

PPU Grendel brass.  Hmmm...   JB Matt gave me some of this stuff.  It was range pickup, when he was out.  He asked me if I wanted it, and I said sure, I'll reload that stuff and run it. 

So...  why the hell did PPU put large rifle primers in this shiit?!   It went in the trash...

P1060358.thumb.JPG.eee441910fa2afcfcc6dde49657bfc58.JPG

3 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

So...  why the hell did PPU put large rifle primers in this shiit?

Heard some discussion on this on a reloading podcast. They were split on whether it was a good thing or not but agreed the reason was better ignition in very cold environments. Not something you have to worry about there for sure!

I'd have to bore the center from a shell holder, just so it could fit the LRP primer rod in there.  You saying I should do this, and dig that brass out of the trash?...   :laffs:

4 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

dig that brass out of the trash?

30 cents a pound for scrap brass in my neck of the woods, takes a long time to fill a 5 gallon bucket but it buys some ammo when time comes to sell it. $1.40 a pound in trade from Freedom Munitions, they get all my berdan primed stuff since they sold me that batch of crap a few years back. :evil:

Check the discussions about PPU brass and ammo in the Grendel forum.  I seem to recall PPU recalling some of their grendel stuff.  For grendel brass I just stick with hornady cuz its easier to come by in 123 grain grendel American Gunner ammo.  About 1 MOA out of factory rounds.