• Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

GWLA M14 build

survivalshop

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When comes to accuracy for M-14/M1A Many say it's all in the glass bedding. However I believe it's a little bit of everything. Its how the gas system installed properly shimmed off the shoulder and figure 8 just barely tight at 5:30 tight at 6 oclock. Up-rod just off the bolt roller when dummy round in the chamber, nice tight rear sight with no slop in it. Glass bedding thats snug.

It all adds up. A high quality barrel don't mean much if the rest isn't done right.

That receiver and stock looks excellent.

I just fitted the Receiver & Trigger Group today , had to file some of the Stock Liner where the Legs fit into , that took about an hour of lightly filing & checking fitment . The Stock Liner also had some metal protruding past the Trigger Group Pad seating area & I had to file that down for the TG to lock into the Receiver .

Have no plans on Bedding the Action , I want the Rifle completely serviceable , its not going to be a Match Gun or a Bench Rifle that is almost never disassembled , so not to disturb the Bedding .Now the rest of the things you mentioned , like a Unitized Gas Cylinder & I have three different Pistons already to test for it , but the Barrel is next . 

Fulton armory sells shims sets for the gas system so you shim the gas system off the shoulder of the barrel so the gas port of the gas cylinder is perfectly centered over the gas port. Also, talk to them about unitizing the gas system. They can drill two small holes tap them so the end plate is attached to the gas system. Another way was to weld them.  The last way, I new of was to use red lock-tight. Clean to remove all oils, place on barrel, apply red lock tight to area to be joined, tighten figure eight very tight for 24 hrs.  You wouldn't think it would work but it does considering it's still under pressure when its its installed for real.

One has to install the gas system without over torque the figure 8, if you do you bend the barrel ever so slightly.

I have built 2 GWLA receiver M-14 clones, those receivers are by far the best available, unfortunately they are no longer being produced. I used all USGI Winchester parts for my builds and had one bedded. If you need any pointers on parts let me know. Upper target was the one with the McMillan stock, the other is with open sights on the wood one. I love these rifles. If I may suggest something get the SACO clone medium weight barrel from Criterion, or if you can find a  original SAK General Dynamics NM barrel they are amazing, the one that's in the McMillan was a NOS SAK Medium weight NM barrel made in 1982 for the military shooting teams, it's a tack driver.

wgm3iR6h.jpg

B3DTvXlh.jpg

JE4uNHNh.jpg

9L3DYE5h.jpg

Edited by Pappy1600

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Purchased a Criterion Barrel today , an Med. wt., 18.5" , 1-10 , was going to go 22" , but couldn't pass up this deal . Already Chambered & Nitrated  & I even got a good deal installing it & that means i don't have to barrow anyones tools , since I would need a couple of expensive tools I don't have or have to buy or do a thing , except ship it to him  , purchased from a well known M14 Builder , barrel was Chambered then shot with fifty rounds & removed .

Middle Barrel , 

1359847966_yardsale1barrel.thumb.jpg.a26bb628f5cbcca9ed8a9822d77db019.jpg

Edited by survivalshop

• 2 weeks later...

Well the Criterion 18.5" would not HS correctly with my Receiver/Bolt , so he gave me the option to install one of his new  Chrome lined , Fluted , Med. WT. Barrels for the same price . its the top Barrel in the above post photo ,installed . It took me a whole second to say yes & it looks good on my GWLA Receiver , my first Fluted Barrel . Not too long now , Op Rod is next .

Thanks to Jon Wolfe of Wolfe Firearms & M 14 parts & Armory . 

56193828267__436F091D-D9D7-4D64-9A06-F21F0A678041.thumb.jpeg.1c84238b456eec3584e6931bb06b178b.jpeg

9 hours ago, survivalshop said:

Well the Criterion 18.5" would not HS correctly with my Receiver/Bolt , so he gave me the option to install one of his new  Chrome lined , Fluted , Med. WT. Barrels for the same price . its the top Barrel in the above post photo ,installed . It took me a whole second to say yes & it looks good on my GWLA Receiver , my first Fluted Barrel . Not too long now , Op Rod is next .

Thanks to Jon Wolfe of Wolfe Firearms & M 14 parts & Armory . 

56193828267__436F091D-D9D7-4D64-9A06-F21F0A678041.thumb.jpeg.1c84238b456eec3584e6931bb06b178b.jpeg

Are you saying you need a active link ?

https://shop.m-14parts.com/main.sc;jsessionid=0F9E16E34E1972D7FE9AD35D4E51160A.p3plqscsfapp003

https://shop.m-14parts.com/Wolfe-Modified-Medium-Weight-Fluted-185-WMMWF.htm

Edited by survivalshop

I'm hopeful to be running this beast by Christmas , just need a Op Rod , Gas Cylinder ( Unitized ) & Rear Sight , Mag Catch & Bolt Stop . This will only be an Iron Sight Rifle , the GWLA Receiver has 8 notches for Windage detents & that gives it 1/4 " Adj. , instead of std 1/2" with a std GI Sight , with a NM Sight , it goes down to 1/8" , which is OK but not needed for me . I may change the Elevation to NM though .

7 minutes ago, Sisco said:

Bringing my M1A to Florida!?.

We may have to hook up this hard Winter for some shooting ?

Edited by survivalshop

21 hours ago, survivalshop said:

Well the Criterion 18.5" would not HS correctly with my Receiver/Bolt ,

Not that I'm an expert, but I've built (with a friend's help) two M1s and one M14 with Criterion barrels. Beautiful barrels, but all NEED to be headspaced because Criterion makes them that way. They're too tight, and need to be reamed just a little to be properly headspaced.

6 hours ago, mineralman55 said:

Not that I'm an expert, but I've built (with a friend's help) two M1s and one M14 with Criterion barrels. Beautiful barrels, but all NEED to be headspaced because Criterion makes them that way. They're too tight, and need to be reamed just a little to be properly headspaced.

Yes most unfinished Barrels are short Chambered by about 10% , but ,

The original 18.5" Criterion  barrel I purchased was a test Barrel from Wolfe Firearms & was already Head Spaced for another Receiver ( I don't know which , but after Head Spacing to the other Receiver & Bolt , it was removed & sent out to be Nitrated , because once nitrated its not a good idea to finish ream the Chamber . Nitrating completely treats the Barrel inside & out , as I'm sure you know . I guess you could finish Ream it with a Carbide Reamer , but the way Nitrating treats the Barrel , it would probably screw the Chamber up . 

Being the Barrel I purchased was used for testing ( only 50 rounds & then it was removed ) & already HS'ed with a Different make of Receiver & Bolt , it would not correctly ( to Wolfes Spec's ) HS on my Supplied TRW Bolt & ( new ) GWLA  Receiver , he gave me a deal on one of his new Barrels to put on my Receiver . Since its already Chrome lined , its already finished Chambered & they can alter the Barrel Flange ( if Needed ) to Has correctly to Wolfe's HS Spec's. & he definitely gave me a deal I couldn't refuse .

16 hours ago, survivalshop said:

I would post some photos with the Barreled Action in the Stock , but I have to clearance the Stock for the Med WT. Barrels Op Rod Guide . The action will not fit all the way down into the Stock , but it looks good in the dark Walnut Stock . 

Can't wait to see your dark wood, brother...   :banana: