• Visit Sportsmans Guide

GWLA M14 build

survivalshop

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Ted Brown is one of the best M14 Smiths out there . 

I have to order some Brown Carbon Fiber to make a HG for this one . I'm in the process of making new molds for the HG's , my experimental ones are pretty beat up . I still need a few Parts , the two biggest are the Op Rod & Gas Cylinder .

DSCN3409.JPG

DSCN3410.JPG

DSCN3413.JPG

DSCN3411.JPG

DSCN3412.JPG

Edited by survivalshop

• 2 weeks later...

Ordered a Unitized Gas Cylinder from Brownells today , its a SAI GC & not a USGI , but I wanted a new manufactured one , not a used one & I know several that are using them & are working great . $ 93 to my door . Op Rod & some small parts & she be done , I have a new in the wrapper USGI Gas Piston & a used one , for it already .

857270410_unitixedM14gascylinder.jpg.42457cb9328141628ca1ec3d6dd12e37.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
9 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

I can't wait for this beast to be in action.  This has been a work-of-art in progress, brother.  Unreal...  :hail:

Ya know what's funny , I had planed on it being done by Christmas & I just might make it . Having a year long build & have it done by my intended date , never happens with me , there is always something to screw it up , most always $$$$$. I also got the Gas Cylinder Lock & Plug installed , also I installed the Op Rod Guide on the Barrel & thought I needed to relieve the Stock , but she fits like a glove in there , a pleasant surprise .

The OP Rod should be here today & hopefully the Op Rod Spring & a $1 pin for the Connector Pin was shipped last week , Tree Line uses snail mail for small parts .

This is good that its done , I have a bunch or AR's waiting to build , that were set aside for this project.?

Damn , the Op Rod I purchased from a guy on the PX in the other forum is bent & is in no way going to work & he is saying he will not give me a refund because i worked on it , I guess trying to see if it will fit your rifle , is altering a Part , WTF Now I have to go a few rounds with this MF. So I have a $ 185 paper weight . Talk about pissed !

I ordered another one from Windy City , because I want to shoot this rifle .

9 hours ago, Ravenworks said:

Just read your thread, wanted to say it was a pleasure.

I guess the old Jarhead in me never forgot his first love.

Thanks , this project has been a pleasure until this Op Rod BS , but it's not going to stop me . this building of an M14 is sure a change from building AR's which I have don since the late seventies , so the momentary change up has been refreshing . I was never issued an M14 in the service , I did use an M1 Garand & qualified with it & the 1911 from the fantail of a DLG . 

Op Rod from Windy City came in today & its a thing of Beauty , fit perfectly , like it was made for it ? . Its a WRA USGI Op Rod , works perfectly . Assembled Rifle & fit one of my reject Carbon Fiber Hand Guards , this one is the only one that has Kevlar as the layer next to the Barrel , so testing it was always in the going to happen . I will make a new one for this when I complete my newest mold design .

The one with the Steel Ruler in it will become apparent on the next post .

DSCN3482.thumb.JPG.47a992fc87f76c56a05e9b023f42fc35.JPGDSCN3483.thumb.JPG.0948ca9d00a00025726873a8f7c5dc6c.JPG

DSCN3484.thumb.JPG.a54f6eab085fd8ea9dc8ae0d6d1db9c8.JPG

DSCN3481.thumb.JPG.8616144d7ea656c9179f99d8c2d74037.JPG

At the Range today , all Iron sights & about 92 yards , we lost some yardage when the poured the new Cement , mover the benches up closer , no big deal .

The 20 round Target was Fed XM 80 C all shot while I was breaking in the Barrel with the shoot , clean , shoot clean for the twenty rounds & the 10 shot target was with my hand loads after . I think this barrel is a 5R & I know its a 1-10 twist . I had five land marks on the cleaning patches .

DSCN3495.thumb.JPG.1b3ce021fe68724ba173df3662c5182a.JPG

fullsizeoutput_47b.thumb.jpeg.69cbfe32536a02150897b9b59fc6a349.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_47d.thumb.jpeg.aa989ffe94deb4ef6b17659503cff55e.jpeg