• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

98's 16" M4 Grendel

98Z5V

Damn.  I'll certainly keep this thread updated.  I hope to get out there in the dirt on Sunday morning,if the weather cooperates.  Monsoon is on me, and they're calling for t-storms then. 

Ran out all the math for the 16" best iron-sight zero distance, and came up with this, for 25 yards. This looks the best, of everything I made as inputs.  I'm talking individual yards for different charts.  Max of less than 7" at a 25-yard zero, out to 300 yards.  Even one yard either way (off 25) opened that up.

926833097_16Grendel25ydZeroChart.thumb.png.7a7e82325fd18d93eb62a4f9930be14a.png

Knocked out the zero this morning on the gun.  Functionally, it ran like a champ, with zero functional issues whatsoever.  The first few rounds got kinda scratched up brass, but that smoothed out in the next 10 or so rounds.  Sharp edges on the barrel extension?  Probably was, until it got beat on a little. 

Since the dope chart above works out to 0.2" low at 300 yards, with a 25-yard zero, I set the MaTech rear sight at 300 yards to dothis 25-yard zero.  It adjusts from 200 to 600 in 100-steps, and it's got a 350 step in there, too.  I know if I don't touch anything, I'm 5.2" high from point of aim at 100 yards, 6.6" high at 150 yards, and 6.3" high at 200 yards.  I have the option to drop that sight back to the 200-yard setting, and it'll get better.  I didn't do that today, and check what kind of an effect it had, because I only set out targets at 25 yards (for zero) and 100 yards to see how it does on steel.

At the 25 yard target, it was only paper zero target.  I came up with this for a zero, on a clean target, and I gave it one more click right after this group, then cluttered the target all up with another mag.  I'll take it.  :thumbup: At 25 yards, I would have liked to see them all touching, but I was literally a combination of hungover, jacked on coffee this morning, shooting iron sights on a table with a front bag and no rear support. 

P1060494.thumb.JPG.6ee97340aea51676b237e81ee6abd232.JPG

I'm uploading the video now, so I'll throw it in here once it's done.  8" round steel swinger at 100 yards.  Smashing it when it would swing back towards me.

8" round plate at 100 yards.  GoPro vid is awesome, but it's hard to even see this target in this vid.  Those posts you see on the foreground are from the 25-yard setup on paper.

I forgot to bring paint, and this steel was already shot, so I couldn't measure any kind of group size based on impacts.  Too hard to determine what was an old impact versus a new impact, so I didn't even bother.  It connected, though, and really well.  I need to get the magnified optic for this thing, and get it out again, before I can say what size groups it shoots.  I can't measure it alone on irons. I can say that it's not shooting bad, not in the least.  It's shooting pretty good.

• 4 months later...

A week ago, I got trapped, and felt twitchy - and just did it.  Primary Arms put the Gen II 5x Prism scope on sale at $100 off, and I was unable to resist that.

This is the one that was supposed to be on this gun, and it is now...

P1060781.thumb.JPG.10fc313d962c067c53f8a450788d53b8.JPG