• Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Howdy

Albroswift

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We'll just keep poking....those drinks flow enough you'll give in. They allllways do. 

Just pulled a couple a couple filets off the traeger. Whiskey and Coke about empty. Refill on the way. 

Edited by DNP

14 hours ago, Albroswift said:

Question on buffers, with the 7-3/4" VLTOR tube and the EA1095 spring, do I need the 3.25" buffer or will the 2.5" buffer work?

Thanks

No way in hell can you use that shortass DPMS-based buffer with the "correct" recoil system.  You have to move to the AR15 H3 carbine buffer, like I told you.  It's just like all other AR15 carbine buffers, at 3.250" long - just like a real Armalite AR-10 Carbine buffer.

Edited by 98Z5V

18 minutes ago, Albroswift said:

So is it the chance the bolt would travel too far rearward that makes the shorter buffer a problem?

It's not a chance.  It WILL.  Your BCG will smash into the ears on the lower receiver, hard. 

Don't run the 2.500" buffer with the longer carbine extension and the EA1095 spring

Edited by 98Z5V

8 minutes ago, Albroswift said:

Speaking of slamming into the ears...

20180714_173654.jpg

You're the first dude here running an Anderson Manufacturing .308AR, man. It looks like Anderson has the Large-Frame AR recoil system figured out about as much as PSA does.

Sharpie those slam marks pretty good, or use a Birchwood-Casey Super Black pen on them, if you have one.  Cover them up, so you can see what's going on with the new recoil system. 

5 oz buffer didn't show up yet, but the 3 oz armalite did so have a place to start. 

A 3oz buffer doesn't have enough a$s to control the mass.  It's not enough buffer weight to control the mass of the .308AR BCG weight, and the .308 Win cartridge pressures/power.  A 3oz buffer is a waste of your time on this platform.  Just warning you now, but your gun is gonna operate like it's over-gassed, because your recoil system isn't gonna do the job it needs to do.  Heads up...

3 minutes ago, 98Z5V said:

You're the first dude here running an Anderson Manufacturing .308AR, man. It looks like Anderson has the Large-Frame AR recoil system figured out about as much as PSA does.

Sharpie those slam marks pretty good, or use a Birchwood-Casey Super Black pen on them, if you have one.  Cover them up, so you can see what's going on with the new recoil system. 

10/4 on the Anderson, bunch of mis matched parts tossed together on a Friday afternoon and poor fitting since day one.

Got a deal on it anyway

Used but unfired in box and learned a lot of what not to do on a build.

7 minutes ago, 98Z5V said:

A 3oz buffer doesn't have enough a$s to control the mass.  It's not enough buffer weight to control the mass of the .308AR BCG weight, and the .308 Win cartridge pressures/power.  A 3oz buffer is a waste of your time on this platform.  Just warning you now, but your gun is gonna operate like it's over-gassed, because your recoil system isn't gonna do the job it needs to do.  Heads up...

Guess I'll wait till next weekend, thanks for the heads up. Buddy just showed up with a like new SP1A2 1977 serial # so all is not lost tomorrow!

Back to the Mojitos 

2 minutes ago, Albroswift said:

Guess I'll wait till next weekend, thanks for the heads up. Buddy just showed up with a like new SP1A2 1977 serial # so all is not lost tomorrow!

Back to the Mojitos 

It'll be better that way, man - hate to stop you from shooting tomorrow, but we'll be the ones here trying to figure out what's going on when all doesn't go well.  It's honestly for the better to wait on the 5.4oz H3 buffer.  You'll have a solid recoil system, and if there are issues after that, we know that's not something that we need to look at.

You GOTTA get pics of that SP1 up here!...   :drool:

16 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

It'll be better that way, man - hate to stop you from shooting tomorrow, but we'll be the ones here trying to figure out what's going on when all doesn't go well.  

You GOTTA get pics of that SP1 up here!...   :drool:

Partners SP1 and my SP2

20180715_091425.jpg

20180715_091441.jpg

20180715_091527.jpg

20180715_091539.jpg

I gotta tell this - memories...   :laffs:

One of the funniest moments as a 203 Gunner...  Ranger School, Desert Phase.  I went in 1990, when Desert was still there (it ended up getting removed from the course, which I think is a mistake).  Dugway Proving Grounds, Utah, high-plains desert.  We're almost done with the course, and one of the graded patrols is a Raid on a bunker system, to recover PC, "precious cargo."  I was in the fire support role, not one of the raid members that went through the bunkers, looking for the PC.  Something happened downrange, and the Ranger Instructors called an Admin halt.  That hardly EVER happens, so it wasn't good.  It's dark as fuk out, middle of the night raid with no moon, and nobody knew what was going on, just it wasn't good.  It was an immediate cease fire, find out what's wrong kinda moment. 

I didn't even hesitate after they yelled "ADMIN!!!   ADMIN!!!  CEASE FIRE!!!  CEASE FIRE!!! WHAT THE FUK!!!"...  Zero hesitation...  I plunked a white illum in that thing and fired it up and to the left, then had another one out right away, up with to the right.  Fucking RI's went nuts on me...  "WHO THE FUK IS FIRING WHAT THE FUK ARE YOU DOING YOU'RE OUTTA HERE MOTHERFUCKER!!!!"  They got all that out, and three of them descended upon me, ready to deliver great fury and a wild a$s-kicking - before those illum rounds burst in the sky.  They were FAST!

As soon as those damn things lit up the sky, they stopped their advance upon my a$s, right in their tracks - it was light out, in the middle of the night.  They didn't say anything to me after that, and we found out that one of the other students fucked himself up charging into the bunker, went face-down, and busted a few teeth.  Bled like crazy.  Serious, but not too serious, if you know what I mean.

You can get "demerits" on graded patrols.  Minor Minus is a small demerit, but still bad. Major Minus is pretty damn bad, and equals 3 Minors.  You're fucked with a Major.  You can also get positives.  At the end of that patrol, I got a Major Plus for that 203 illum round shiit I pulled...   :thumbup::lmao:

Making your day made my day

Hit the range 0900, couple guys already downrange setting up so i grabbed a couple bords and a pack of shoot n see targets and we got down and were ready to shoot (imagery first) throwing rounds down range by 9:15

By the second ceasefire there were at least 10 black guns in 223 on the line, nothing else. Never seen it like that before,  usually only 4 or 5 shooters various calibers. Like everyone saw this thread, thought hell, hunting rifles dialed in, 308's on the bench awaiting parts, wait a minute,  back of the safe...

!