• Visit Sportsmans Guide

Howdy

Albroswift

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

43 minutes ago, DNP said:

I've been married for 15 years come this September, and was born in raised in California. What makes you think I've got a man card?  I'm lucky I get my nuts back once a year to go to the fall shoot. 

You are fully entitled to retain both your testicles and your man card. I'll beat the living crap out of anyone who makes claims to the contrary. :bat:

Ok, back to ME...

heavy buffer installed, first just dropped buffer and bcg into extension without spring and took a couple photos of clearance. Appears bcg clears ears at full recoil by .100 and clears stop by .200 (eyeball gauge, not caliper or feelers) Am I getting close enough for some more range time? Please?

20180717_170329.jpg

20180717_170626.jpg

2 hours ago, Albroswift said:

Appears bcg clears ears at full recoil by .100 and clears stop by .200 (eyeball gauge, not caliper or feelers) Am I getting close enough for some more range time? Please?

20180717_170329.jpg

You're at the spec you need to be at, man.  Remember, that poly bumper at the end of the buffer will compress, but that shiit is harder than skateboard wheels, so it won't compress much.  You're good, as far as contact (by the BCG) with the lower.  Recoil system solved.  You used the Armalite EA1095 spring, right?

Let's shoot it, and see what else crops up.  Any other issues that come up will not be related to the recoil system.  :thumbup:

Ok, got some range time this morning 

150 gr rounds, both handloads and factory, operated flawless 100%. Very nice group. Brass landed at around 11:00, before it was landing in the 10:00 position. The 180 handloads got worse, every 3-4 rounds or so similar jam as before and the group was poor. Had 10 Winchester 180's left, same results.

It was in the low 80's this morning, been hot all week. 

So:

With the original light recoil assembly light and heavy bullets jamb 1/10.

With the new heavy recoil assembly light bullets work great heavy bullets jamb 1/4 

I have no problem just shooting 150's, but like to know why the hunting rounds dont work. 

20180729_094825.jpg

20180729_094748.jpg

On 7/13/2018 at 7:50 PM, Albroswift said:

Here you go...

20180713_194752.jpg

I no kidding missed this picture, completely.

Your gas tube is too short.

I'm living this issue, right now, and there might be a bunch of people say different, but I'm not interested is seeing what they say  - but that gas tube is too short.

You have rifle gas system, or "midlength" gas system on that gun?...

50 minutes ago, 98Z5V said:

I no kidding missed this picture, completely.

Your gas tube is too short.

I'm living this issue, right now, and there might be a bunch of people say different, but I'm not interested is seeing what they say  - but that gas tube is too short.

You have rifle gas system, or "midlength" gas system on that gun?...

Came from Anderson with whatever length their assembly dude put in, but they only sell carbines I think.

Questions:

How much longer should it be?

Do I need to gauge the gas tube depth in the key?

How far into the key should it go?

I didn't take my chrony with me today, didn't have a lot of time and was primarily checking function, but the larger then normal group and the hot weather make me think my hunting loads could have been very slightly over pressured.  I don't see any indication of that, no flattened primers or flow but that load was developed in 40-50 deg weather. Wouldn't explain the winchester ammo but maybe hot chamber, and I didn't have much of that to test. 

So, you don't have a Rifle Length Gas System, then.  It's Midlength Gas System.

I would bet my money that you're gonna end up just like this thread, right here:

You need the Armalite AR-10 Carbine Gas Tube to fix the gas tube issue (backordered everywhere, right now - get on an email notification list with someone). I'd bet your gas port is too small, so that gas block needs to come off and the gas port in the barrel needs to be measured.  You'll probably have to drill it up. 

Okay so what did you prove? that you have ,347 inches before the gas key impacts against the gas tube when the bolt closes?  the only instructions I have been able to find say that the gastube end should protrude even with the middle of the cam pin relief cut,

Measured the tube, 12.75 from the front of the gas block.

Meased the key, tube to common point, .365 engagement into the key.

Measued the key depth, 0.925 but there seems to be a step or ridge at 0.817, probably where the final reaming stopped. So safely I would think the tube could engage the key 0.800, which equates to 0.435 longer by math, or 0.347 by wd40 tube measurement 

7 minutes ago, Albroswift said:

Measuring from the end of tube to the approximate center of the cut 0.180.

Any reason not to get a rifle tube and cut it?

Yeah, a huge reason.  You don't have a Rifle Length Gas System. You have a Midlength Gas System. 

You need the Armalite AR-10 Carbine Gas Tube. Not an imitation, the real one.

AR15 Midlength gas tube:  Overall Length: 11-3/4"

Armalite AR-10 Carbine Gas tube: Overall Length 12 1/16"

That right there fixes your short gas tube.  I think you have a gas port problem in your barrel. You need to remove your gas block, and measure the gas port size.  All the specs for what you need are in the thread I linked above.

We will get you running, and running right.  Start with the steps I've listed above.

I'm crossing Anderson off my list for .308ARs.  They can't figure it out, either...

I went through the thread, that receiver took a beating! Glad I caught mine after a couple of slams, don't feel so bad now. Dont see any of that damage around the relief cut, and my ears look pristine by comparison.

Anderson's ar308 so far:

Ar15 recoil tube and spring

Ar 15 bolt catch

Ar15 gas tube

Get the feeling that they never test run their builds. 

Loaded some 180 gr rounds with a different pressure curve, similar to the curve that the 150 gr bullets have that ran flawlessly last weekend. Besides the tube length problem,  think I was way over the top on gas pressure with the hunting rounds. 

Also just got a 6.8gr buffer. So while waiting for the correct tube have a few things to try next session. 

Shot pistols and revolvers this weekend, picked up a SW E series 1911 few weeks ago that shoots like a dream right out of the box, point of aim, crisp trigger,  shoots match and seconds flawlessly. Awsome prints off hand at 50 yards, rivals my Hamilton Bowen built 44 revolver

Finally someone gets it...