• Visit Sportsmans Guide

Howdy

Albroswift

9 minutes ago, Albroswift said:

Anderson's ar308 so far:

Ar15 recoil tube and spring

Ar 15 bolt catch

Ar15 gas tube

Get the feeling that they never test run their builds.

I'm getting the feeling that they decided to jump into the .308AR market, and they don't know the first thing about it. We can solve the issues they created, no worries.

AR15 bolt catch has to go - but the bad thing is, what do you use?  You need a .308 bolt catch, no questions about that.  I'd just try a DPMS LR308 bolt catch to start. Seems to be the platform they tried to copy.  After that, we might need to work in AR-10A, AR-10B, whatever.  It's up in the air.

You literally are that guinea pig on this platform, here. Congrats!  :thumbup::laffs:

Have no fears, though - it's 100% mechanical, and it can't out-think us.  We can defeat it.  It will run, whether it's got design problems or not...   We will "redesign" it,and make it function...   :banana: 

Get that gas block off and measure that gas port in the barrel...

Edited by 98Z5V

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Used the Aero Precision bolt catch, photos back a few posts next to the ar15 catch I dremmeled. Beefy looking part, stoned less then 50% of the thickness of the coating off each side for a fit any gunsmith would be proud of.  

No doubt the Anderson will be a shooter eventually, probably won't pull it apart until I have the new tube in hand. Still like the idea of an adjustable block...

The length makes sense.  12.06" would be 12 1/16".  It's worth risking it, if that length dimension is correct. 

Personally, though, there's no way in the world I would give CTD any money...

It's cheaper straight from the manufacturer, man:

https://www.lbeunlimited.com/product/argt308/

Screw Cheaper Than Dirtbags...  

Edited by 98Z5V

Haven't checked mine yet, but Anderson claims to use a 12.06 in their 308 builds.

I like the looks of this adjustable block works as a standard adjustable or bleedoff type. Looks like the adjustment is accessible from the front. 

https://suparms.com/collections/adjustable-gas-blocks-direct-impingement/products/750-adjustable-low-pro-solid-gas-block-melonite-finish

3 hours ago, Albroswift said:

I like the looks of this adjustable block works as a standard adjustable or bleedoff type. Looks like the adjustment is accessible from the front. 

https://suparms.com/collections/adjustable-gas-blocks-direct-impingement/products/750-adjustable-low-pro-solid-gas-block-melonite-finish

Good luck making that an effective adjustable block in the bleed off mode. Mine would not bleed enough gas to stop functioning like the instructions indicate. Works fine on the restrictive mode but the 308 just has too much gas for the bleed off mode to be fully effective. 

On 7/13/2018 at 7:50 PM, Albroswift said:

Here you go...

20180713_194752.jpg

8 hours ago, Albroswift said:

Haven't checked mine yet, but Anderson claims to use a 12.06 in their 308 builds.

If that's a12 1/16" gas tube that you've already got in there, in your pic above, then they (Anderson) really got that barrel drilling off.  That means an AR15 midlength tube wouldn't even get to the cam pin cutout in the upper.  You'll certainly need to do some measuring. 

Yea, plan on it. Have a couple other projects to get off the bench before I pull this back apart. So nobody makes their own tubes? Doesn't look that difficult.

Spoke with Anderson today they claim barrel drilling, set screw recess, gas block, tube same as all other 308 barrels

1 hour ago, Albroswift said:

So nobody makes their own tubes?

White Oak Armament will make any sized gas tube you want.  Call them with details, and expect questions on how you came up with your number.

Just now, Albroswift said:

308s with the mid length/ 12.06" gas tube.

There are two gas tubes that are close, and not exact, and that's where we run into these problems.

I posted those specs above, but the Armalite AR-10 Carbine gas tube is 12 1/16" long.  The AR15 midlength gas tube is 11 3/4" long.

Armalite AR-10 Rifle gas tubes are also longer than AR15 Rifle gas tubes - but we don't see that problem crop up too often.

All the manufacturers that jumped out of the woodwork, and didn't do their research, didn't drill the gas port right - or they thought they'd be smart, and drill it somewhere in between.  That's when you see the issues.  If your barrel was designed and drilled perfect, you would see that gas tube ends at exactly the middle of the cam pin cutout in the upper receiver - no matter which system you were using.  If it's not exactly in the center of the cam pin cutout, it's a hybrid.  If it's short, and doesn't reach the center of the cam pin cutout, you are cheating yourself of gas timing.  Now, combine that with a gas port that's too small, a recoil system that isn't up to par, and you have a large-frame AR that doesn't run worth a damn.  :thumbup:

This is a Rainier Arms Select .308 barrel, 18", "midlength gas."   With the AR15 midlength gas tube, mounted in the AP M5 upper.  Rainer planned it out.  They knew what was up.

Not all companies plan it out, or even know there's a difference.  If they knew about the difference, they didn't stick with one design or the other, and went "in the middle."  ...They didn't care...

P1060637.thumb.JPG.904bf4fb8e86dbae5dee1e0894999bb2.JPG

5 minutes ago, Albroswift said:

OK then...

Thanks. My length would be the current tube length + the difference between the current end location and the center of the cut...Easy enough 

White Oak Armament, 309 376-2288

They may have something close in stock, if not it cost me about $40 to have a custom length made and they called after I ordered to confirm my measurement locations and what I was using it for. They have numerous odd lengths in stock;

https://www.whiteoakarmament.com/gas-tubes.html

I had the tube in 4 days from my initial call so service is fast.

21 minutes ago, Albroswift said:

So 308 mid and carbine same?

No, they're not the same.  There is only ONE Carbine gas system in the Large Frame platforms, and it the Armalite AR-10 Carbine gas system, which is nothing like an AR15 carbine gas system.  The Armalite AR-10 Carbine gas system is even longer than the AR15 midlength gas system..  So, on that, they're not the same.  Due to them being "not the same,"  every manufacturer that decides to jump on this bandwagon, without doing their research, fails to understand that - or ignores it.

Like Anderson and PSA.  And, we're in this boat, right here.

You're gonna have to dig into some Google-Fu to aid this journey you're on, but this is a good start:

https://www.shootingillustrated.com/articles/2014/9/24/ar-gas-system-lengths-explained/

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2012/06/foghorn/ask-foghorn-gas-system-length-ar-15/

https://www.at3tactical.com/blogs/news/9298047-carbine-mid-or-rifle-a-beginner-s-guide-to-ar15-gas-systems

Good info, thanks. I had come across a couple of those threads earlier.

I'm all over the dwell timing and pressure curves, been messing with different loads on auto loaders for some time now, but first for DI, other then my SP2A2, which  functions flawlessly with 55 TO 78 Grain pills and several different powders. Don't think I found a powder that didn't work,  more just tailoring loads for accuracy, fouling,  and ease of dumping powder quickly in a skinny neck with that shooter.  

In fact, the more I think about it, this Anderson has to be the worst "out of the box" weapon I've ever laid hands on. And that's saying something!

PS

Where can I get actual tube lengths, example a Armalite 308 mid length = x, a carbine length = Y, Rifle  length = z?

26 minutes ago, Albroswift said:

Where can I get actual tube lengths, example a Armalite 308 mid length = x, a carbine length = Y, Rifle  length = z?

It's on here somewhere, just looked at a month ago, see if I can find it....

Found it, at least one spot, this thread still needs a sticky, has the Carrier measurements as well;

DPMS LR 308 Gas Tube & /AR 15/16M4

Pistol             6-5/8

Carbine          9-3/4

Mid-Length  11-3/4

Rifle             15-1/4

Armalite lengths,

Rifle ( 308 ) ----- 15.5 "

Mid length Carbine ( 308 )--12 1/16"

super SASS Carbine ( 308 )--11"

Super SASS< Rife (308 )   ?

Mid ,( 223 )------------------ 11 3/4"

Carbine ( 223) --------------- 9 3/4 "